Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for you battery charger folk...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:54 PM
911Forever
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Nice idea Brad. Great that you can get to the cord without opening the frunk. I like it.
I originally thought about doing this, but the open frunk would remind me that the charger is plugged in. Otherwise, I would forget and will pull my car out of the garage while it's still plugged.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:24 PM
carsnob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche trickle charger into a cig socket. ( if no "smoking package" I recall that there's a second socket -- yes?)
Easy.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:01 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Forever
I originally thought about doing this, but the open frunk would remind me that the charger is plugged in. Otherwise, I would forget and will pull my car out of the garage while it's still plugged.
Got that covered, too!

The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (02-18-2021)
Old 04-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Got that covered, too!

Another good idea. I like it!
Old 04-19-2017, 04:41 PM
911Forever
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got that covered, too!
Smart idea!
Old 04-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Inspired by you clever folks, I ended up doing a variation of the theme. I routed the charger cord to a nice natural pocket of space that lies beneath the hood damper (shock). I can easily reach into the area with the hood closed and pull out a few inches to charge the battery. No mods or cutting necessary. Super fast and easy to charge her up now!

A couple shots of it laying in the recessed pocket at the base of the damper. You can make out the shiny double cord in the shadows.

I can reach in blindly with my finger and pull on the loop of the charger cord even with the hood closed.
Hey BradB - just wondering how your hook-up is working out. What do you do when it rains. Assuming you don't want the connector to get wet, which it will the way you have it. Does it even matter if the connector gets exposed to water, as it is connected to battery (I have no idea).
Old 04-25-2017, 04:08 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Got that covered, too!

Very clever!
Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Hey BradB - just wondering how your hook-up is working out. What do you do when it rains. Assuming you don't want the connector to get wet, which it will the way you have it. Does it even matter if the connector gets exposed to water, as it is connected to battery (I have no idea).
Glad you asked. I did some testing with car washing and just this weekend spent the entire afternoon on a Club drive in the rain. It passed with flying colors.

Of course, the charger cord does have a tight fitting waterproof rubber cap on the end of the plug. But what really works well is the space under the frunk hinge where the cable lies, is suspended ABOVE a designed drain area. It's hard to explain but the plug never lies in the path of running or standing water. It's very well protected. I'm happy with how it turned out.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:27 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Good to hear!

Old 05-16-2017, 08:24 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My solution to remembering the charger.

The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (02-18-2021)
Old 05-17-2017, 01:35 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think I kept any pictures, but in my old 997 I directly wired a low profile Powerlet panel mount socket to the liner of the frunk and then connected a right angle Powerlet plug to the Battery Tender. Powerlet.com has some great products for these applications which I learned about from the motorcycle world...
Old 05-17-2017, 10:45 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 07-19-2017, 06:18 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Does anyone know if the trickle charger will eventually recharge a dead battery?

(My car lives outside so constantly keeping it plugged in isn't going to happen but I could babysit an extension cord overnight if that would bring a battery back from the dead--much easier than the complicated frunk opening, jump from fuse box method described in the owner's manual.)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK
Does anyone know if the trickle charger will eventually recharge a dead battery?
If the battery is completely discharged and left to sit, no.

Lead acid batteries are plates of lead in a sulfuric acid solution. Completely discharge a lead acid battery, and you coat the plates with lead sulfate. Leave it to sit and the lead sulfate turns into hard crystals that cannot be electrolyzed back into lead and sulfuric acid.

Also note that charge helps keep a battery from freezing. If it's below freezing out and you let the battery drop far enough, the electrolyte can freeze causing permanent damage to the battery.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:58 AM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MeshGearFox
This looks like an improvement from the footwell socket...but only by half. Because you still have to have the hood open (or closed and crimping the wire) to use it. That's the same thing that bothers me about the passenger side footwell plug: you either wind up shutting the cord against the door or window (which you can obviously crack open). The dealer said "not to worry" and it's fine to shut the door on the cord but it just seems kinda fraught to me.

Has anyone routed the pigtail so you can plug the car in from, say, the front bumper area? Clean install that you plug into without a hood, door, or window in the way?
Pardon my ignorance but is there any particular concerns about closing the door with the wire through the bottom of the door? I've done it on my last Macan S all the time it didn't seem to have any issues but I don't want my 911 to be the first. My thought closing the door on the wire simply because there's a rubber seal around the door. When closing the door, the cable is simply pressed against the rubber seal and not actual metal part of the door.

Anyone here like me just let the wire hang and close the door and have not had any issues?

Quick Reply: Question for you battery charger folk...