Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minimum Spec GTS- What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:44 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Minimum Spec GTS- What do you think?

So as I get ready for my new GT3, I'm hauling my old GT3 to the dealer this week. In the meantime I originally planned to find a 997 manual GTS to fill in the gap, but my search so far has been fruitless (ping me if you have one with sport plus seats and manual you want to sell!). So I asked if they have an available allocation for a new GTS, turns out yes.

So now I'm torn, I really don't want to take a depreciation hit for a car I might have for less than a year, but YOLO, maybe I will. So to keep the price down I'm going for a minimum option car. Graphite Blue, rear wheel steering, and seat heating (happy wife, etc) and that's it. Free option yes, but configured this way it comes to 125K MSRP.

What do you think? I think the price on resale relative to depreciation might actually be better than a fully spec'd model. But who knows...

Here's the build:http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ848BQ7
Old 03-29-2017, 11:05 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

1) Don't forget to check the $0 stuff if you want it (smoking package, luggage net, GT steering wheel)

2) I would include the front-axle lift. I see you have opted out of the -20mm package in favor of the standard PASM -10mm - but I think you get a lower front spoiler on the GTS (not sure). I have the -20mm and the normal spoiler on my 2017 C4S and I absolutely need the front-axle lift.

3) No Porsche entry & drive? I'm always amazed this isn't standard.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Why not look for a cpo 15 or 16 GTS that has already taken a big depreciation hit?

i considered a new GTS as well but came across my GT Silver car. It had a 161 msrp and 13k miles and I purchased it for 111k.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:25 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by digits
1) Don't forget to check the $0 stuff if you want it (smoking package, luggage net, GT steering wheel)

2) I would include the front-axle lift. I see you have opted out of the -20mm package in favor of the standard PASM -10mm - but I think you get a lower front spoiler on the GTS (not sure). I have the -20mm and the normal spoiler on my 2017 C4S and I absolutely need the front-axle lift.

3) No Porsche entry & drive? I'm always amazed this isn't standard.
GT steering wheel looks just like the standard Alcantra wheel, but l leather. I prefer the look and feel of Alcantara. Other free stuff I left unchecked on purpose based on my GT3.

With PASM I believe it's the 20 MM drop. I don't think the lift will be necessary for me.

Originally Posted by Buteo
Why not look for a cpo 15 or 16 GTS that has already taken a big depreciation hit?

i considered a new GTS as well but came across my GT Silver car. It had a 161 msrp and 13k miles and I purchased it for 111k.
Well, I agree the first year depreciation is in, but it's not plateauing there, expect almost as much in year 2 and 3 and then a softening of the curve. Plus there are so few, it's hard to find one with a manual and the right spec.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:33 AM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya

What do you think? I think the price on resale relative to depreciation might actually be better than a fully spec'd model. But who knows...

Here's the build:http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ848BQ7
I think it's perfect! Wouldn't change a thing (except the color, but that's personal taste).
Old 03-29-2017, 12:40 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Well, I agree the first year depreciation is in, but it's not plateauing there, expect almost as much in year 2 and 3 and then a softening of the curve. Plus there are so few, it's hard to find one with a manual and the right spec.
Agreed, although year 1-2 tends to be the greatest. With this car only being in your possession for a year or so I'd want to limit myself to the lesser of the evils here (year 1 vs year 2).

But nothing beats building a new car.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Stick with trying to find a manual 997 GTS.

Will feel closer to your GT3 and will suffer less resale hit. TBH, I'm not that impressed with the 991.2 GTS. I don't think it will hold value and you are going to get hit hard.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:57 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Will feel closer to your GT3 and will suffer less resale hit. TBH, I'm not that impressed with the 991.2 GTS. I don't think it will hold value and you are going to get hit hard.
decaf, do you think the .2 GTS is just not that much different than an S? or less different than the 997 or the 991.1?

i'm coming down to the end of my lease and sitting on a 87k buyout for a car i have put 12k miles on (and i know every single mile i have driven). the plan was to maybe just give it back in october and wait until the spring for a new GTS but i have yet to try them out. i am wondering if they are engineering the joy out of them or the turboed engines just make differences tiny between models now

edit: sorry for thread jack

Last edited by Highyo; 03-29-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:13 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

Nothing available worth a damn right now. Crap interiors (non sports seats) etc.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:03 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

Wow, I put almost $40,000 worth of options on my GTS order. Looks like most of them aren't even necessary.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:53 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

I loaded up a GTS, but its a mix of putting in things you want and then thinking about what others may want. I would do the 1700 full leather interior addition to yours if you're up for it, as on a non GT car thats going to likely be somewhat DD able, most people will want that with their 100k plus car. I'd also put the sunroof in there, while its not the most lightweight form of the car, its again pretty crucial for resale. If you were buying this for you to have for years then I'd say order it exactly how you want, but you're not haha.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:19 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KenTO
Wow, I put almost $40,000 worth of options on my GTS order. Looks like most of them aren't even necessary.
There is a benefit to doing it Mooty style!

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I loaded up a GTS, but its a mix of putting in things you want and then thinking about what others may want. I would do the 1700 full leather interior addition to yours if you're up for it, as on a non GT car thats going to likely be somewhat DD able, most people will want that with their 100k plus car. I'd also put the sunroof in there, while its not the most lightweight form of the car, its again pretty crucial for resale. If you were buying this for you to have for years then I'd say order it exactly how you want, but you're not haha.
I found through the years that sport cars without sunroofs sell quickly in resale. Never been an issue and attracts the purist that likes the look of the car without one. TEHO, I appreciate others like it.

Well, for the moment I've talked myself off the ledge and I am keeping the GT3. But if someone has an interesting GTS for sale, (must be a manual) let me know.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:12 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

How about a GT4?

If just want to keep for a year, GT4 will hold value better than GTS. And for some reason, there's quite a good selections out there.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9822...-for-sale.html
Old 03-30-2017, 01:30 PM
BLAM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with doing the leather interior for resale, but not the SR. Car looks much cleaner w/o and many buyers like me won't have one.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I would pick a different color if you think there's a high chance you will be selling it within a year or two.

Quick Reply: Minimum Spec GTS- What do you think?