Sponsored by:

Purchasing non CPO thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:23 AM
SShrem80
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Purchasing non CPO thoughts?

Came across a 2013 C4S manual with all my goodies checked (leather, SC, SE, Sports Steering BOSE). The only thing i'm on the fence with car is that it is a convertible. Im in negotiation but its through a 3rd party dealer. Factory warranty is 3 months left and they are asking 56k off MSRP. the car has 2 owners and only 4300 miles (i don't know if thats suspect in itself) and was sold at auction but then picked up by a Porsche dealer and cpo'd after first owner. Since its being sold by a third party dealer that CPO is void.
I think i can negotiate 2-3 k off more but am stuck worrying that this beautiful expensive machine will not be under warranty for much longer and expenses (rare from what i hear) can be expensive. Oh also needs a 4 yr maint which I would guess is about 1500-2000 k after the purchase.

Any input on thoughts no buying CPO vs not (esp with a convertible top). Should it be a concern of mine? Buying a third party is an option but also another added expense of 3-4k

Any input would help. hard to find a local (within300-400miles of me) manual C4S with most of the goodies and cpo i'd want.

Thanks in advance guys
Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Brantley847
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 AM
porsche42
Racer

Is the third party dealership close to a Porsche dealership? If so have the dealership look at the car? Does it have any service history? Have a local indy look at the car if you can't get it to a dealership. Sounds like a great buy, but 2 owners and only 4k miles wow. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:51 AM
SShrem80
Track Day

Brantley847: Hysterical... You got some jokes kid. Whens the HBO stand up special? Is Chris Rock your opener? Or Kevin Hart? Ill be sitting front row center...

porsche42: thanks for a real response. No concerns with a non CPO car? yea there is a Porsche dealer not to far away. they quoted med 2600 for 4 yr maint and 280 for the PPI. If I do the maint by them no charge on PPI. Local Porsche dealer stated about 1500 for the mait.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:13 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Talk to the nearby Porsche dealer and see if they would be willing to broker the transaction between you and the selling dealer -- i.e., they buy it from the selling dealer and then sell it to you certified. Work it so they first do the pre-purchase on the car for you (and at the same time perform the CPO inspection which is basically the same thing), then if the car is good agree that you will have them do the 4-year service on it and pay them an extra $1000 to do the paperwork (and also pay for the CPO warranty).

They may be willing to do so because they will make the money on the warranty, never see the car again, and also land the service for the car plus some $$$ to do the paperwork.

You can also ask your local dealer if they would be willing to do it but that's more of a gamble because you have to get the car home first.

I don't understand why Porsche will not just sell people the extended warranty if the car passes inspection and you pay for it -- you can extend the warranty on a Ferrari every year until it's 12 years old and they don't care whom you bought it from as long as it passes the inspection.

On the other hand, Porsches are really robust cars and it's unlikely you will have a problem. A warranty is just insurance against a repair. If you take the money that you would have paid to certify the car and stick it in an index fund or something, you will likely never spend it on the car.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:35 AM
ltdodge
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
Talk to the nearby Porsche dealer and see if they would be willing to broker the transaction between you and the selling dealer -- i.e., they buy it from the selling dealer and then sell it to you certified. Work it so they first do the pre-purchase on the car for you (and at the same time perform the CPO inspection which is basically the same thing), then if the car is good agree that you will have them do the 4-year service on it and pay them an extra $1000 to do the paperwork (and also pay for the CPO warranty).

They may be willing to do so because they will make the money on the warranty, never see the car again, and also land the service for the car plus some $$$ to do the paperwork.

You can also ask your local dealer if they would be willing to do it but that's more of a gamble because you have to get the car home first.

I don't understand why Porsche will not just sell people the extended warranty if the car passes inspection and you pay for it -- you can extend the warranty on a Ferrari every year until it's 12 years old and they don't care whom you bought it from as long as it passes the inspection.

On the other hand, Porsches are really robust cars and it's unlikely you will have a problem. A warranty is just insurance against a repair. If you take the money that you would have paid to certify the car and stick it in an index fund or something, you will likely never spend it on the car.
getting a CPO warranty is not just paying the fee. the CPO fee is around $3000, plus fix parts that dont meet standard (example to get my car CPO, they had to do new brakes all around, oil change and new tires) so you will need to pay for all the parts and labor plus 3K for the cpo. on a cpo car the price for the work done is in the selling price
Old 03-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Brantley847
Advanced

Originally Posted by SShrem80
Brantley847: Hysterical... You got some jokes kid. Whens the HBO stand up special? Is Chris Rock your opener? Or Kevin Hart?
Thanks! You seem like you have a great sense of humor. I bet you're a blast to hang around. You want advice.....you're here asking a question that you already know the answer to and you want someone to tell you "go for it!"

This is a reliable brand but that is a huge risk when you consider out of warranty costs and why so many of us turn them over at lease, buy cpo, OR we acknowledge the risk. The cost associated with obtaining CPO will easily breach that 3-4K mark as well

I don't know why this is a discussion when you admit you will pay nearly 2k for the major 4-year service or you could simply find a cpo that most likely won't require an upcoming service for just a fraction more. If the seller isn't willing to do you that service and have it done (whether or not he/she rolls a portion of it into the cost) I'm not doing business with them.

Good luck with your purchase
Old 03-27-2017, 12:39 PM
SShrem80
Track Day

thanks for all the sound advice. i didnt want anything saying go for it that wasn't my question.
But yes i have a great sense of humor and gosh darn it people like me especially my mother. Shes says I'm the best!

i respect your opinion on this as well as itdodge ' s opinion for it is not one I have thought about. And isn't that one of the reasons we post on forums. To hear opinions and get ideas that i haven't thought of. Itdodge was one i did not think to ask.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:09 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltdodge
getting a CPO warranty is not just paying the fee. the CPO fee is around $3000, plus fix parts that dont meet standard (example to get my car CPO, they had to do new brakes all around, oil change and new tires) so you will need to pay for all the parts and labor plus 3K for the cpo. on a cpo car the price for the work done is in the selling price
Yes, that's why I said "and also pay for the CPO warranty."

You want CPO, you pay for CPO, don't think the Porsche dealer is not jacking up their prices to reflect the warranty, too. And if you're buying a used car from a non-Porsche dealer that needs brakes and tires, you're going to wind up paying for that anyway. No free lunches.

To some people, the extended warranty is worth the peace of mind that they should not have to spend anything extra on the car outside of scheduled maintenance for X number of years. Be happy it's not a Ferrari, because the cost for that is $4500 a year for an 8-cylinder car, and even more for a 12. Then again, you are more likely to see a 5-figure repair on an F-car. For a Porsche, I'd be inclined to take my chances. Like I said, it's basically insurance.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:48 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I am so thankful that I got the CPO. It was an interstate transaction. The car arrived without the heater working and the right rear mirror not tilting down when on reverse. The inspection report showed that the heater was working before shipping (it was a southern car and I bet the heater was seldom used). My local dealer said that just replacing the parts already covered the CPO cost.

If you are purchasing a 2012.5 or 2013 991.1 please check this link. Apparently these valves fail easily on the earlier production run (if you are doing a PPI, I would suggest carefully checking these valves):

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8002...-on-991-a.html
Old 03-27-2017, 02:32 PM
SShrem80
Track Day

visitador. thanks for the above advice.
better than condescending memes.
the deal is great but with this added knowledge it makes it less great. 2k for ppi and service and then potential for so much more makes it less sweet of a deal.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:44 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

at the mileage, doubtful there is much of a service history due to the lack of need. CPO should follow the car - no?
Old 03-27-2017, 02:57 PM
SShrem80
Track Day

CPO follows if its a person to person transaction. i called one dealer and they said cpo stayed with the car but on further inquiry once it gets taken in by a non porsche dealer or 3rd party dealer it voids the cpo. one dealer called it the carmax rule. Carmax was buying cars getting them fixed udner cpo and then selling at a lower price point.
but i don't know if that is a real thing. in any event with BMW and other lux brands same rule applies.
STG was correct in the HFS thread. he said it might slip by but who wants to risk that.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:12 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thoughts are these:

I didn't consider a non-CPO car. I got my 2012.5 in 2015 and because it was CPO, I was able to comfortably negotiate, fly, inspect cosmetics, drive away. So now after most of 2 seasons and approaching the 3rd (Apr - Oct), it's still under warranty into next year. And I got a good price on the car anyway.

As has been said, this is a reliable brand. But CPO was worth it to me.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:39 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

my credit union sells an aftermarket warranty. I would think there have to be reputable aftermarket warranties available other than CPO.

Quick Reply: Purchasing non CPO thoughts?