Sponsored by:

GIAC software released for 991.2 S

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 02:35 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprchng
With just a tune, all of the hardware stays the same. Judging by the dyno plots, there will be no lag introduced.. If anything based off the most recent graph of the base 991.2, peak torque is achieved a few hundred rpm sooner, thus the car should feel less "laggy".

Even the S graph appears to achieve peak torque sooner, these things are packing a nice punch with just a flash. Can't wait to see what big turbos will push!
Foot feel is more sensitive to lag than a dyno curve. Achieving peak torque at a lower rpm, is not the same as power arriving as soon as you depress the accelerator.

You will increase the lag with a tune, guaranteed. But you'll also get big power. Just a matter of priorities.

I'm very sensitive to lag, which is one of the reasons I drive a NA GT3.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:06 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Would love to hear a review of the drivability. GIAC is not known for smoothness vs factory on high end, complex cars. I have no experience with them on Porsche but can rattle off a handful of other cars where peak hp may have gone up but drivability, idle rpm and smoothness all went downhill and in some cases lost midrange power.

On a 991.2, I'd recommend a boost and AFR gauge of some kind to keep an eye on things if you start playing with the ECU.

if you blow the welds on the intake manifold you'll me hearing this from your SA, "Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried!"

Best way to do these tunes... live life one quarter mile at a time. For 10 seconds or less you're free.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:04 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

doubled up
Old 05-16-2017, 10:05 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Foot feel is more sensitive to lag than a dyno curve. Achieving peak torque at a lower rpm, is not the same as power arriving as soon as you depress the accelerator.

You will increase the lag with a tune, guaranteed. But you'll also get big power. Just a matter of priorities.

I'm very sensitive to lag, which is one of the reasons I drive a NA GT3.
You probably need to look at a power curve...............in a .1 GT3 you don't have any power until.........how about you cough up the answer

are you seriously going to tell us that you drive around above 6700 rpm all the time.................be honest, all the GT cars are rubbish down low......... .

Turbo lag is a complete non-event in modern Porsche 3l twin turbo charged engines above ~ 2000 rpm. In contrast the complete lack of torque in a NA car at 2000rpm is real as is the tiny amount of power that it makes.

If you are at X RPM and Y Tqe you are making Z HP - physics

Last edited by randr; 05-16-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by randr
You probably need to look at a power curve...............in a .1 GT3 you don't have any power until.........how about you cough up the answer

are you seriously going to tell us that you drive around above 6700 rpm all the time.................be honest, all the GT cars are rubbish down low......... .

Turbo lag is a complete non-event in modern Porsche 3l twin turbo charged engines above ~ 2000 rpm. In contrast the complete lack of torque in a NA car at 2000rpm is real as is the tiny amount of power that it makes.

Yeah a GT makes crap for power and nobody wants one. Such an undesirable car in every way.

991.2 Fanbois only reference low end torque... learning how to drive will fix this for an NA car. You're doing it wrong if you really believe there is a lack of power.

991.1 owners - The sound, feel and experience. A exhaust will make this better but never equal to a NA engine.

Some of these comments try really hard to justify an individual purchase. That Graph is misleading and doesn't mean anything in terms of emotion. If you want to post graphs and power band then what you want is a Corvette or a GTR.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:59 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by randr

Actually, there is plenty of turbo lag around 2000 rpm. At 3000, there isn't much and if you really don't want to feel any turbo lag, you have to keep the revs above 4000.

And I say this as 991.2 owner who likes his car, and his engine, very much.

And if you increase the boost as GIAC has done, the lag is bound to increase as the difference between boosted and non-boosted performance rises. That's not necessarily a reason not to do the tune, but don't fool yourself that GIAC has somehow miraculously increased exhaust flow at low rpm.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
991.2 Fanbois only reference low end torque... learning how to drive will fix this for an NA car. You're doing it wrong if you really believe there is a lack of power.
That's how the kids are nowadays man. The 3.0T may be dropping off by 6000 RPM while the GT3 motor is just getting started, but it doesn't even matter because they've all already lost interest and gone off to look for Pokemons. It's all about instant gratification, PDK transmissions you don't have to take the time to learn, motors that produce torque right away without having to explore the power curve. Porsche understands this and builds a car perfect for the impatient generation.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:24 PM
quattr0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy your NA gents. Please let us kids discuss original purpose of this thread.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by quattr0
Enjoy your NA gents. Please let us kids discuss original purpose of this thread.
Sorry we're all very impatiently waiting for GT3 allocations.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:37 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
That's how the kids are nowadays man. The 3.0T may be dropping off by 6000 RPM while the GT3 motor is just getting started, but it doesn't even matter because they've all already lost interest and gone off to look for Pokemons. It's all about instant gratification, PDK transmissions you don't have to take the time to learn, motors that produce torque right away without having to explore the power curve. Porsche understands this and builds a car perfect for the impatient generation.
Remember when a 200hp was fast because it was also light and you had to drive it?

Remember when a 300hp V12 was reserved only for supercars and exotics?

Kids now want a video game experience, not a driving experience. A driving experience will expose driver flaws. Not keeping the engine in the powerband being one of them.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:45 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Sorry we're all very impatiently waiting for GT3 allocations.
i'm on a list with money down - but I'm in double digits. 3rd for a manual in any color
Old 05-16-2017, 01:06 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

i'm on a list with money down - but I'm in double digits. 3rd for a manual in any color
Not bad! I'm a lot further back and may have to wait for the 992 GT3. As long as it comes in manual!

I'd argue that the exotics were probably just as good in terms of the experience those days, sometimes I think about getting one instead but then I realize how much reliability has improved since then.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:10 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Not bad! I'm a lot further back and may have to wait for the 992 GT3. As long as it comes in manual!

I'd argue that the exotics were probably just as good in terms of the experience those days, sometimes I think about getting one instead but then I realize how much reliability has improved since then.
I'm far from a lot of people on here in terms of net worth. Could afford to buy an older but not collectable exotic... 355, 360 and equivalent. Could not afford to own one though. There is a big difference in the later vs Porsche.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:13 PM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprchng
With just a tune, all of the hardware stays the same. Judging by the dyno plots, there will be no lag introduced.. If anything based off the most recent graph of the base 991.2, peak torque is achieved a few hundred rpm sooner, thus the car should feel less "laggy".

Even the S graph appears to achieve peak torque sooner, these things are packing a nice punch with just a flash. Can't wait to see what big turbos will push!
I can confirm this. Power delivery is perfect, with torque coming in a little lower. With a mild tune like this, the car is just more of what it already is.

I personally don't listen to folks that have no basic grasp of engineering, usually the same crowd who have never turned a wrench in their life but are the first to tell you how something should be done. Consequently the same guys that regurgitate 'opinion based facts' to justify their limited point of view.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:26 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

I'm far from a lot of people on here in terms of net worth. Could afford to buy an older but not collectable exotic... 355, 360 and equivalent. Could not afford to own one though. There is a big difference in the later vs Porsche.
Yeah, that's how my situation is. I could afford to buy a car like that and stare at it in my garage, but unless I can reasonably drive it every day I see no point.

Quick Reply: GIAC software released for 991.2 S