Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 targa vs cab

Old 03-24-2017, 04:39 AM
03LX470
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by montysir
Hello everyone from Abu Dhabi, UAE! (next to Dubai,UAE)

Just joined today and looking to order and own a Porsche for the first time, and would like some help deciding between the 2017 targa vs cab. Im interested more in ride comfort and open air experience than performance so im looking at the basic models, in addition to limiting my spending.

i) Forgive my inexperience, but is this called the 991.2?

ii) Please advise on the open air experience comparison between the targa and the cab if there is that much of a difference top down, and the wind noise level top up. I think we can all agree the targa looks much better.

iii) Sport tex seats 4 way vs 18 way. Dealer advised to go for the 4 way instead to save money but didnt really explain what options i would be giving up.

Some info to know:

- Living in the gulf, so top down weather is 3 - 4 months a year, and summer temp reaches up to 50 degrees celsius (about 120 F)
- Going for the MT even though i might be of a very small minority driving a Porsche manual in the country and resale will be very difficult.
- Colours: night blue exterior and grahphite crayon interior
(currently driving 09 Infiniti G37 MT that i had to import from the US since Infiniti dealer only sells Auto Transmission)
- Talking to local sales hasnt given me much confidence in their ability to help with my decisions, so im hoping you guys can help out.

Thanks!
I am also in UAE and have been fortunate to own almost the entire 911 range but never felt attracted to the Targa except when they first came out initially. I also buy for on road driving pleasure, no track use.

I prefer the Cabriolet as it is a better overall open air experience. Sure you only have 3-4 months of open air top experience but a bit more if you like driving in the evenings (which I do). And the insulation is very good so you will never compliant about heat coming in through the roof in the Summer.

The main suggestions I would make:

1. Do not get the basic 4-way seats. The only complaint I have with dealers here is ordering stock cars that are priced at AED 500,000 with lots of options but eliminating the 14-way seats which cost only 1% more! When you are driving a Half a million dirham car you an at least expect to have full power seats with proper adjustments to suit your comfort. I can sacrifice on any option but not the seats! And the 14-ways come with Comfort Entry and Exit feature (the seat and steering move when you open the door).

By the way, my most recent was a GT3 RS, my current is a Boxster S 718 (which sometimes reminds me of my 911 turbo when the turbos are really doing their job) while I wait 6-8 months for my GT3 to arrive. In summary, I would buy any Porsche with the convertible top (911 or Boxster) but Targa I am not sure.

2. Get the Seat Ventilation and Heating. You will really appreciate SV in Summer and while the heat is mandatory to get the SV you will actually use it a couple of times in Winter nights when it dips to 15C

Hope that helps
Old 03-25-2017, 12:43 PM
montysir
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you for your feedback

Thanks to everyone for their valuable time and input !

Originally Posted by Dennis C
You really need to drive both before you decide. If you really want an open air experience, then there is no substitute for the cabriolet. It's important to note that the cabriolet experience is very different when driving with the windows down and the wind deflector down than it is with the windows up and the wind deflector up.
Point well made! Unfortunately local dealer only offers coupe for test drive and i've yet to find a rental company that has both to try.
Can you please elaborate on the windows and wind deflector up vs down feeling?

Originally Posted by TJ911
If you are going to have the top up a lot, get the Targa. Visibility is so much better and it's rare and beautiful. As you can see below, I have the Targa you desire on order (though with PDK). Build date is in 3 weeks!
Great minds think alike! Other than the MT being different, im debating whether i should go for Sport tex or Leather seats...
Looks sweet, congrats on your order!

Originally Posted by TAL2GK

One other thing to consider about the targa in Dubai is the enormous greenhouse. It's going to get very hot in the cabin even with the roof up.

As for the manual transmission, I also have that and it is fantastic. Yes, it is the less common option, but one you will be happy with. Don't spend this much money to buy what the next owner wants. Buy what you want. While there won't be as many people looking at your used car whenever you sell it, that isn't a problem. You don't need to appeal to the masses, you need to appeal to one person. And that one person will have been looking for a manual and will have fewer options to compare to yours.
This is one of the best arguments i've heard in my life for the MT. Thank you very much for the confidence boost!
Regarding the greenhouse effect, should i end up going for the Targa, im hoping i can manage with parking in the shade and clear tinting, no way im ruining the looks with a dark tint!

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Are you serious? Unless you're driving around at 4am in February, Abu Dhabi is never comfortable for top-down motoring.
How so? im driving windows down and sunroof open since the last 3 months and the only problem im facing is my roof and upper interior turning from white to black due to years of doing so and me not taking care, hopefully a shampoo session should help. Are you referring to the humidity?
Old 03-25-2017, 12:59 PM
montysir
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 03LX470

The main suggestions I would make:

1. Do not get the basic 4-way seats. The only complaint I have with dealers here is ordering stock cars that are priced at AED 500,000 with lots of options but eliminating the 14-way seats which cost only 1% more! When you are driving a Half a million dirham car you an at least expect to have full power seats with proper adjustments to suit your comfort. I can sacrifice on any option but not the seats! And the 14-ways come with Comfort Entry and Exit feature (the seat and steering move when you open the door).

2. Get the Seat Ventilation and Heating. You will really appreciate SV in Summer and while the heat is mandatory to get the SV you will actually use it a couple of times in Winter nights when it dips to 15C
Special individual post for my fellow Emirati haha (but actually coz its on the next page and im new to this forum multiquoting business)

1. Agreed, spending that much money earns you some good seats, and after confirming that the 4 way do not offer lumbar support, i think i will be going with the 18 - way.

2. Which brings me to the next question and your SV comment. Sport tex or Normal Sport seats?
Sport tex are supposed to be more comfortable and look awesome with the Graphite/Crayon colour combo, but it only comes with seat heating and no seat cooling, which to be honest was manageable for the last 6 years since i dont have seat cooling in my current car (09 Infiniti G 37S coupe 6MT) and depended on my AC to keep me sane. So now i have to decide between seat comfort and looks over seat ventilation...
Old 03-26-2017, 04:40 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

DO NOT GET 4
WAY SEATS....either 14 or 18way are much better
Old 03-26-2017, 07:06 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks 1
TARGA.......The lines on the TARGA make the car look very "retro"........The new cab does not look as sharp...IMHO........I had a 1989 Turbo Cab....loved it...but the Targa top gives you the same feeling with the top down and better visibility when its up.....
Haha, no. The targa does not give you the same feeling open as a cab. Not even close.

Whether you like one vs the other is up to you. The eye of the beholder and all that. But same
Top down experience? No.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:22 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the 4 way sport plus seats.
Simple and light.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:16 PM
montysir
6th Gear

Thanks a lot for your replies guys, i'm sorry i haven't posted earlier but i had sent a specific reply for most of you a week ago and for some reason the admins haven't posted it yet.

Id like to also ask if anyone can advise if theres that much of a difference between running 19" and the 20" tyres regarding ride comfort. Good place to save some money as well.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:47 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

My 19" winter tires were much more comfortable than the OE 20" summer Pirelli's. With a set of the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, that has changed. These new 20's are a big improvement in ride quality.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:11 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But you do want either 14 or 18 way seats!
Old 03-30-2017, 03:20 AM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

When the tops are closed, the Targa will be hotter than the cabriolet.
It's one reason why I never order sunroofs on a new car.

I prefer the looks of the current 991 cabriolet to the Targa. The reverse is true on on earlier generations.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:37 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just test drove a Targa 4S and the buffeting and wind noise were extreme over 50 mph ... I even put the passenger window up and the driver's window down half way, which I used to do in my old school SC and 3.2 Carrera Targas, it helped a little, but it's much more turbulent than I recall my 2013 cab being. Has anyone driven them back to back?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 targa vs cab