Sponsored by:

911 Pre-trade for Panamera Sport Turismo dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:19 PM
dkim
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Pre-trade for Panamera Sport Turismo dilemma

So, I've been getting some low offers on my 991.1 and called the local dealer about consignment or a pre-trade for the turismo. He came back at the trade-in value I wanted not to mention the tax credit I would get. I'm sure they are making a killing on the turismo ( no discount off msrp) which is why they can give me a great trade in value.

If I pretrade it, build the turismo, and not take delivery in September, what happens?

What happens to my pretrade voucher? my deposit? If my car is still on their lot, do they just give it back to me in September?

It's not likely to happen, but I'm not sure if I'm going to love the Turismo. The best answer is to wait for the new car issues to be worked out and see it in person, but the pre-trade deal makes it somewhat urgent.

Any advice?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dkim
Any advice?
Ask the dealer, and get something in writing.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:54 PM
mdork
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I know someone who did this trading in a Panamera for a Macan. Dealer committed to the trade-in value in writing w/ some restrictions around total mileage at final trade. He drove the Panny until the Macan was delivered. Easy.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:32 PM
dkim
6th Gear

def will get it in writing...just didnt want the dealer thinking they weren't gonna make any money off me by giving me max value for my trade and then not getting a new car with full markup from them.

I think doing the pre-trade will maximize the value of my car and give me the option of getting a new car or walking away with the max trade money. It seems like it works in my favor getting maximum trade in value. There's got to be a catch.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Get a signed sales agreement covering all the details. It binds both parties.

I pre-traded my .1 TT in November for all the same reasons you are contemplating now... on a .2 TTS that's scheduled to arrive in May.

Mine's now built and as of today, is sitting at port of Emden waiting for on boat ride to the other side of the pond.

GL
Old 03-20-2017, 03:18 PM
dkim
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 1Gunner

I pre-traded my .1 TT in November for all the same reasons you are contemplating now... on a .2 TTS that's scheduled to arrive in May.

Mine's now built and as of today, is sitting at port of Emden waiting for on boat ride to the other side of the pond.

GL
Great! Exactly why I posted this question! In your contract, did it specify what would happen if you don't take delivery in May?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:33 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

No, but I do have a verbal agreement from the sales manager, if it's not here on the scheduled date they will provide me with a loaner Porsche.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:53 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think it's going to bind anyone to anything.

However, if they're selling you that car at full boat, they can probably absorb any reasonable adjustment in the value of your 911.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:11 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think it's going to bind anyone to anything.

However, if they're selling you that car at full boat, they can probably absorb any reasonable adjustment in the value of your 911.
In my case... not "full boat" PLUS very good trade value IMO.

Guess I just have faith.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

I've pre-traded two Boxsters on orders - a '13 S for a '15 TT and a '16 GTS for my "will they ever build this thing" Targa 4S order.
The Targa is my 3rd order from Bernie Moreno at Porsche North Olmsted/MB North Olmsted and he does what he says, as do I.
My transactions have been problem free to date.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:00 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

A panamera ? Why? Go for the 991.2 Turbo. If the dealer can't give you a good deal go to BMW, they have a few 4 door cars.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:25 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

I've done this before.

You can come to an agreed price on the trade in and the dealer may elect honor this price to a certain mileage.

Alternatively, they can sell the car on consignment. It's still your car and under your insurance, so you'd need to stipulate your conditions on whether test drives are allowed.

Once the car is sold, they can cut you a check or leave the money in escrow pending arrival of the new car. I would get a signed statement on guaranteed trade in allowance and price on the new car. I would also make sure that if they sell the car on consignment, they agree to honor the trade in value should some misfortune fall upon on the car while in their possession.

Naturally, if the dealer wanted to screw you over, these statements may or may not make a difference. It's still a comforting thing to have.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 PM
dkim12
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

confirmed with sales manager that the pretrade is considered a sale of the car. So if I don't take delivery or cancel my order for whatever reason, they will cut me a check for the agreed upon pre-trade value. I think I'm going to still get the turismo, but I'm glad I have to option to back out if something changes between now and delivery. Too much thinking about it...still can't make a final decision and give up the keys just yet...
Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

I've done it, and on a Panamera too. For the couple months between, the dealer gave us a Cayenne loaner.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:47 PM
dkim12
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

well nevermind and thank you for the feedback. Drove the new Panamera Sedan, and it's a great car, but I didn't connect with it. Felt like a maserati quattroporte. A big sedan that is trying too hard to act like a sports car.

I may still sell it to the dealer without getting into a new porsche which is a decent option too at this point.

Quick Reply: 911 Pre-trade for Panamera Sport Turismo dilemma