Sponsored by:

Carrera T short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 06:38 PM
JS3B
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carrera T short throw shifter

I'm the new owner of a 2019 C4 with the 7 speed manual transmission. Before ordering the car, I test-drove a Carrera T with the manual transmission. I found the manual transmission to be exceptional with short and mechanical shifts. Sadly, I had to order an AWD car because we have plenty of snow in the Montreal area and I plan to use the car as my daily driver.

I did not drive a regular Carrera with a manual before ordering my car. I now find that the experience with my manual transmission is quite different than what I remember from the Carrera T. I know my transmission has to "break-in" and the feeling will probably change over time. Still, I would like to reproduce the feeling I had driving the manual in the Carrera T.

I plan to change the shifter and would like to stay "OEM" (I am not considering the Numeric shifter for now). Does anybody know whether there are any changes other than the shorter gearing and shifter in the Carrera T that could affect the feeling of the manual transmission? I can't seem to find a clear answer... The dealer can't tell me if it's possible to order the Carrera T short throw shifter and install it in my car. They told me they could order and install the GT3 shifter.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:51 PM
Hp12c
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 126 Posts

I’d also suggest considering a nice billet shift ****, this one changed the experience in my 991.2 7MT noticeably, with its nice weight and the fact that it can shorten the shifter/throw a bit depending on how you mount it.

http://www.function-first.com/produc...sic-shift-****

...alternatively might be nice w the short throw kit too!
Old 06-13-2019, 08:51 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

I believe the only difference on the shifter is the length of the shaft.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:27 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

OP- the shifting will be a bit notchy and tight during break in. Except for a bit of extra force to get it back into first gear, my 7MT shifts beautifully. Really improved at about 1,000 miles and at 6,000 miles is just sublime. You do have to think about what your doing, and sometimes I wind up selecting the wrong gear, but that is totally on me, during lapses of concentration. The short shifter is pretty cool though, love the red gear markings.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:38 AM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 426 Likes on 186 Posts

OP, you are right the shifter on the T is a different setup and part of the T package, but I think you could make a minor modification and get a great setup. Check out this video as an example. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:01 AM
atm75
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JS3B
I'm the new owner of a 2019 C4 with the 7 speed manual transmission. Before ordering the car, I test-drove a Carrera T with the manual transmission. I found the manual transmission to be exceptional with short and mechanical shifts. Sadly, I had to order an AWD car because we have plenty of snow in the Montreal area and I plan to use the car as my daily driver.

I did not drive a regular Carrera with a manual before ordering my car. I now find that the experience with my manual transmission is quite different than what I remember from the Carrera T. I know my transmission has to "break-in" and the feeling will probably change over time. Still, I would like to reproduce the feeling I had driving the manual in the Carrera T.

I plan to change the shifter and would like to stay "OEM" (I am not considering the Numeric shifter for now). Does anybody know whether there are any changes other than the shorter gearing and shifter in the Carrera T that could affect the feeling of the manual transmission? I can't seem to find a clear answer... The dealer can't tell me if it's possible to order the Carrera T short throw shifter and install it in my car. They told me they could order and install the GT3 shifter.
I ordered the T short-shifter available on suncoast for my 15 GTS. People judge these things differently but to me it was a transformative upgrade from what I perceived to already be a good manual gearbox (although not as great at my 6MT 981s)

The difference is length and that you get a spring that makes it feel much more tight as you shift through the gears.

One of the best upgrades I’ve ever done. Can highly recommend.

enjoy you 4s!
The following users liked this post:
checkmate1996 (04-17-2024)
Old 06-14-2019, 09:03 AM
JS3B
Intermediate

Originally Posted by atm75
I ordered the T short-shifter available on suncoast for my 15 GTS. People judge these things differently but to me it was a transformative upgrade from what I perceived to already be a good manual gearbox (although not as great at my 6MT 981s)

The difference is length and that you get a spring that makes it feel much more tight as you shift through the gears.

One of the best upgrades I’ve ever done. Can highly recommend.

enjoy you 4s!
Did you order the part number PK9X1SSU from sun coast?
I believe this shifter comes from the GT4 and fits the 991. I can’t find if the Carrera T has a different short shifter or if it’s all the same.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:11 AM
JS3B
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
OP- the shifting will be a bit notchy and tight during break in. Except for a bit of extra force to get it back into first gear, my 7MT shifts beautifully. Really improved at about 1,000 miles and at 6,000 miles is just sublime. You do have to think about what your doing, and sometimes I wind up selecting the wrong gear, but that is totally on me, during lapses of concentration. The short shifter is pretty cool though, love the red gear markings.
Everyone says the 7MT is very smooth after break-in. I did notice some change with almost 1000 miles driving. I find the 1-2 shift still needs some effort and I sometimes get a grinding sensation although no abnormal sound comes from the gearbox. The dealer did a test-drive and reported no anomalies with the transmission.

I guess I’ll just have to keep adding more miles
The following users liked this post:
browse964 (11-07-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 10:14 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

I add the suncoast GT4 shifter to my .1. Not sure if the GT4 shifter is any different than the T.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1SSU.html

I would call the upgrade worthwhile. There was an uncertainty with downshifting that this seemed to eliminate. It took about 45 minutes to do.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:03 AM
JS3B
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I add the suncoast GT4 shifter to my .1. Not sure if the GT4 shifter is any different than the T.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1SSU.html

I would call the upgrade worthwhile. There was an uncertainty with downshifting that this seemed to eliminate. It took about 45 minutes to do.
Thanks! I think it's the shifter the dealer plans to order for me (I'll get it for $350 CAD and thus save the shipping and duty fees). The dealer quoted me 5 hours to install it... I'm afraid to break some parts while doing it, so I'll probably end up asking the dealer to install it, but not for a 5 hours job.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:36 AM
Alec Syme
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

OP- I realize you're not interested in the Numeric unit but after having both the Porsche offered short shift kit (GT4) and now the Numeric unit, hands down the Numeric is MUCH better. Much better. Zero play and a very satisfying gear change every time. The GT4 shifter is really the same one you have but the shaft is shorter by 20mm. That's it. The Numeric is surrounded with steel and uses tighter springs and bearings to tighten everything up. I didn't bother with the cables (maybe later).

Just my thoughts on this-
alec
Old 06-14-2019, 12:16 PM
JS3B
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alec Syme
OP- I realize you're not interested in the Numeric unit but after having both the Porsche offered short shift kit (GT4) and now the Numeric unit, hands down the Numeric is MUCH better. Much better. Zero play and a very satisfying gear change every time. The GT4 shifter is really the same one you have but the shaft is shorter by 20mm. That's it. The Numeric is surrounded with steel and uses tighter springs and bearings to tighten everything up. I didn't bother with the cables (maybe later).

Just my thoughts on this-
alec
Thanks for you opinion. I also believe the Numeric shifter is a better built piece. As to the feeling, I loved the MT in the Carrera T, so that's why I'm considering the short shifter as a first mod. It might not be justified, but I'm also worried of maintaining the warranty and thus would like to keep OEM parts for now. I might do the Numeric in the future.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:49 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Thanks for you opinion. I also believe the Numeric shifter is a better built piece. As to the feeling, I loved the MT in the Carrera T, so that's why I'm considering the short shifter as a first mod. It might not be justified, but I'm also worried of maintaining the warranty and thus would like to keep OEM parts for now. I might do the Numeric in the future.
Don't make any changes until you have about 2k miles (`3200 kilometers) on the car, and if you still feel the same then as now make a change but I think you will be happy enough to leave it as-is. And be sure to report back as it will be interesting to hear your thoughts when you reach that mileage.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:03 PM
pittspilot
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I've driven a T at the Atlanta PEC and own an .2 S with some miles. I also drove another S at LA PEC. All manual. I debated getting a short shifter but as the car and I have grown together I find that I just love the stock shifter. It's a touch notchy and sticky when cold, but when warmed up it's just sublime in its action.

I found the short shifter to be a little notchy and stiff even when warm. Not bad at all, by any means, but with the warm stock shifter I can shift very quickly and positively with fingertip pressure. I'd let it break in and see.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:01 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Thanks! I think it's the shifter the dealer plans to order for me (I'll get it for $350 CAD and thus save the shipping and duty fees). The dealer quoted me 5 hours to install it... I'm afraid to break some parts while doing it, so I'll probably end up asking the dealer to install it, but not for a 5 hours job.
Where in Canada are you? I did the GT4 shifter install myself, it's very easy. If you're in the Calgary area, happy to help.

Quick Reply: Carrera T short throw shifter