Sponsored by:

Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 10:34 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Extended Warranties

I have been considering buying an extended warranty for my 911 Cab as it is getting close to 4 years old. This is my first Porsche so I don't have past experiences to rely on to determine if it a smart thing to do. A CA I know said I should seriously consider because I have a Cab and if there is a problem with the top it can be very expensive to fix.

I have two warranty options: One is through a third party insurer, CNA, which appears to have a very good reputation and there other is through the parent company of the dealership which will sell me the warranty. I am figuring the cost to be about $600 per year.

The question is how much is it worth for the piece of mind knowing that my out of pocket will never be more than $100.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:56 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

P-cars parts are outrageously expensive, not to mention the labor rate. IMHO, For $600 per year I would purchase it. Be sure to review the exclusions very carefully.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:05 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

It depends upon your tolerance for risk. I've owned many 911s over the past 40 years and typically kept them for 7 - 8 years. I never purchased an extended warranty for any of my cars. In my case I always followed Porsche's maintenance recommendations, and all the service work was performed by the dealer.
One of the advantages of having the work performed by a dealer is that they will act as your advocate in securing "good will" repairs from Porsche after warranty expiration. I was the beneficiary of two Porsche "good will" repairs over the years, and the money I saved easily offset the premium charged by dealers for service.
Bottom line is that if your car has been properly maintained, I'd say that it's unlikely that you will encounter any catastrophic problem that would justify the extended warranty premium.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:49 AM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry991
I have been considering buying an extended warranty for my 911 Cab as it is getting close to 4 years old. This is my first Porsche so I don't have past experiences to rely on to determine if it a smart thing to do. A CA I know said I should seriously consider because I have a Cab and if there is a problem with the top it can be very expensive to fix.

I have two warranty options: One is through a third party insurer, CNA, which appears to have a very good reputation and there other is through the parent company of the dealership which will sell me the warranty. I am figuring the cost to be about $600 per year.

The question is how much is it worth for the piece of mind knowing that my out of pocket will never be more than $100.
You really need to investigate any warranty company before you pull the trigger.

BBB CNA
Old 01-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

The only reason I would consider CNA is because I would be buying it through the dealer and they have sold it for many years and they are the ones who will have to get the approvals.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:26 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

How many miles do you put on your car a year?
Old 01-18-2016, 12:27 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

The only reason I would consider CNA is because I would be buying it through the dealer and they have sold it for many years and they are the ones who will have to get the approvals.
I was told the same thing about CNA by my dealer and was considering them as my warranty will expire beginning of 2017. The reviews did not look promising.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:44 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

A CA I know said I should seriously consider because I have a Cab and if there is a problem with the top it can be very expensive to fix.
While this might be true, I've not seen any cabriolet repairs on the 991 Forum. I don't even see any on the 997 Forum or Boxster Forums.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
It depends upon your tolerance for risk. I've owned many 911s over the past 40 years and typically kept them for 7 - 8 years. I never purchased an extended warranty for any of my cars. In my case I always followed Porsche's maintenance recommendations, and all the service work was performed by the dealer. One of the advantages of having the work performed by a dealer is that they will act as your advocate in securing "good will" repairs from Porsche after warranty expiration. I was the beneficiary of two Porsche "good will" repairs over the years, and the money I saved easily offset the premium charged by dealers for service. Bottom line is that if your car has been properly maintained, I'd say that it's unlikely that you will encounter any catastrophic problem that would justify the extended warranty premium.
The aftermarket warranty only worked out in my favor once, with my E39 M5. All others were peace of mind only, as I never had enough covered repairs to break even. As to the M5, it wasn't a lemon, but I drove it a lot and ended up putting over 100k miles on it. The key to getting the "mileage" out of any warranty, extended or not, is to drive the car enough to reveal any defects within the time limit of the warranty. Garage queen Ferraris encounter many non-covered repairs as a result of not being driven within he warranty period. This has the domino effect of not having enough reported and paid warranty repairs for Ferrari to do anything to correct a faulty or weak component. Good thing most Porsche owners drive their cars!
Old 01-18-2016, 09:39 PM
ynot3d
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good investment on a service contract. CNA is a good company and pays well. There are a few out there that are add on miles, not "up to" miles on the odo.

As mentioned, you want a VSC that you can read what is excluded in coverage. Read the contract, not the brochure. Some do not cover cab tops, some do. Buying it from the dealership is the only way to go. Do not buy something online.

You want it for the electronics in the car, not the mechanicals on the car. You maintain the motor and tranny, you cannot maintain the electronics.

I am in this industry and am more then happy to answer questions on the subject.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:56 PM
BingoWest
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Is a CNA service contract a better investment than the extra ~!$3000 spent on a CPO (i.e. does one get equivalent warranty coverage at an appreciable savings)?
Old 01-18-2016, 10:15 PM
ynot3d
Intermediate

No. Do a CPO if you can, however depending on the VSC available, you may be able to buy the VSC prior to the factory warranty or the CPO time. You have to check. Even with CPO, buy the VSC prior to the expiration of the base factory warranty. Most providers will not allow you to purchase past the basic factory warranty.

Originally Posted by BingoWest
^Is a CNA service contract a better investment than the extra ~!$3000 spent on a CPO (i.e. does one get equivalent warranty coverage at an appreciable savings)?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:59 AM
tresean1
Advanced

Default CNA National Warranty

Has anyone had any updated (negative or positive) experiences with CNA that they can share?

I am about to purchase a Cayenne and an E-class and will need an extended warranty on both, and just wanted to know if I should put all my eggs (trust in them).

Any real-life examples are helpful. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:58 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

CNA was the one my dealer recommended. I would be interested in an experience info also.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:45 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

The local porsche dealer sells fidelity. Any experience with them?

Quick Reply: Extended Warranties