Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade a 2016 C4S for a 2014 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 05:44 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Trade a 2016 C4S for a 2014 GT3?

Hello everyone,

I feel a bit torn on an opportunity that recently came up to acquire a GT3 with 5,000 miles.

My 4S was somewhat of a childhood dream come true. My first 911, and I've only had it for a year. I've become more attached to it than I expected, as I initially thought I would eventually trade it up to a GT3 later on. I think if an opportunity to buy a GT3 was within reach a year ago when I bought my C4S, I would have definitely jumped at it, but there was not one within reach at the time and the 4S presented itself.

In the year or so since I've had this car, I've come to appreciate its understated demeanor. I daily drive it for the most part, although I do have a couple of other cars. I work in a professional field with clients, so it's also nice to look somewhat less flashy with the agate grey coupe.

But the GT3 is calling to me, and a great deal seems to have presented itself. I'm wondering if I'll enjoy it like I thought I would have a year ago. It's nice to think that when my kids are old enough, they can ride in the back seats of the 4S. The GT3, no back seat. I've come to like the cooling seats in the 4S. Also not on the GT3. I have also come to like the glass sunroof--which would be totally out of place on the GT3.

Has anyone gone from a CS or C4S to GT3 or vice Versa? Was the wing ever too loud or ostentatious for daily driving to the office? I haven't driven the GT3 yet, but for reference, I have daily driven a 2012 Boss 302 in the past that is running open side pipes and kooks headers so I'm no stranger to a stiff and loud ride, and was planning on lowering the C4S anyway.

I guess what it comes down to is:
Go after a great deal on a used GT3 (which my wife keeps pointing out is two model years older, BUT GT3!)
-Have a rarer car, that doesn't need anything really at all

Or

Keep the C4S
-Buy HRE wheels (or maybe sport technos)
-Cobb access port
-techart springs
-maybe headers and plenum

My salesman pointed out resale as a benefit for a GT3, but frankly, I'm not one to worry about resale. I see these cars as too good to baby as garage queens and I'd drive the **** out of it, probably daily. I've put 12K miles on my C4S in the year I've owned it.

Any thoughts or feedback from anyone with experience with both cars is appreciated. Daily living with a GT3 vs the run of the mill carrera/s/4s. Worth the extra cost? Extra fuss? Worth giving up some "ameneties?" Thanks!
Old 03-17-2017, 07:07 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do you want from GT3 - are you going to use it in a similar fashion to your C4S, are you going to track it?

A GT car is (obviously) a very different car to a grocery getter (thats what I call my C2S), in my view its not really an either or. The Carreras are fantastic dailys, very flexible as you yourself outlined. The GT cars less so.

My own personal solution was to buy a Carrera as a daily and put a deposit down on a 991.2 GT3RS which will spend 80% of its time on track.

In essence I see them as very different animals with very different purposes. From my perspective I wouldn't want to use a GT3 as a daily (I know many others do )

I guess, in a very round about way, I'm saying given you use your C4S as a daily you may want to keep it
Old 03-17-2017, 07:53 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I wouldn't buy the GT3 unless you plan to track it. You're taking on a fair degree of engine risk in a 2014 and will have a less compliant DD. Not worth it unless you track.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Depends on what you want -

Looks - GT3
Performance - GT3
Track often - GT3
Bragging rights - GT3
More attention - GT3

Practicality - C4S
Old 03-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I wouldn't ever trade for a 991.1 GT3, most definitely not a 2014 MY.

If you're keen on getting a GT3 (and I can't blame you), get on a list for the 991.2 model or find a 2016 MY.

You're getting a 'deal' (btw specifics would be nice) because the 14s have a bit of a black mark ... My opinion, don't do it it.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:52 AM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm with these guys... Although I don't own a GT3 I have friends that have them and they don't drive them much unless for some car event, on Sundays or obviously on a track. In my opinion from the outside looking in, unless you plan on using it for the track, the idea of having a GT3 for the street is much more romantic than actually owning one for the street.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Very different cars. I have a '14 GT3 and have had several other Porsches, including non-GT 911, Cayman, etc.

when i I bought my '14 GT3 I test drive it side by side with a new '16 GTS manual. Night and day difference in driving feel in terms of character of engine, transmission the way it snaps off gears more aggressively, especially the steering feel which is go-cart like, firmer suspension, stickier tires, ground clearance, that noise, etc.

GT3 is a spectacular car but is a lot less practical. Back seat no big loss unless you carry people back there. In fact lack of back seat makes it more practical to carry things back there.

but the GT3 is definitely not a car to drive around much in town in the cold due to RWD in combination with racy engine, racy tires, low ground clearance, etc. sure you can do it and it's comfortable enough for a very high performance car, but it really is only a joy to drive on the open road and especially in twisty hilly/mountain roads (or track if you're so inclined).

don't worry about engine. All the defective ones were replaced with new ones by Porsche and everybody got free extra year warranty too. Many used ones with very low miles also have CPO to 6yrs. Any "black mark" about it is already priced in and you're the one getting the good deal because of it.

Don't modify the C4S. Silly. It will plummet in value if you do and won't be any kind of approximation of a GT3 after.

If if you want something more exciting that what you have but not a full blown GT3 consider either a GT4, which is more docile and daily drivable than GT3, or a 991.1 C2 GTS with manual transmission. Both options have the benefit of manual trans that 991.1 GT3 doesn't have, which is more involving in some ways, both are NA like GT3, yet both are more practical to drive around town.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:56 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Depends on what you want -

Looks - GT3
Performance - GT3
Track often - GT3
Bragging rights - GT3
More attention - GT3

Practicality - C4S
Breaks more often - GT3

The old GT3 is going to take a nosedive in price as soon as the new ones start getting delivered.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Double_J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the GT3 but it's not the best daily driver out there. Way too hardcore. Only get it if significant track time is in your future, otherwise I'd stick with the C4S for normal everyday use.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:42 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Why did you buy the C4S?

I love the grip of the "4" and the all weather capability.

That would be enough for me to stay in the C4S.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm not trying to bash the .1 GT3 too much, I do love the car - but don't expect the prices to hold once delivery's start on the .2.

Also, because this IS Rennlist and we are about informing ... since you're considering the purchase, you might want to read this 100+ thread on the engine issues with the .1 before you pull the trigger:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-replaced.html

I agree with others - modifying your C4S is silly and waste of your money.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Don't get the "don't modify your C4" comments. He's talking about wheels, a tune, some springs and maybe headers and a plenum. Everything is easily reversible and will not adversely effect the car, and can be sold later to make some portion of the $$ back. It's not like he's saying he's going to strip it and try to make it a GT3.

SMH.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:10 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Yes sorry about the lack of specifics, out of respect for the dealer I didn't want to put price, nut s fair discount is given on this model:

https://gaudinporschelv.com/inventor...tallic+1095002

And yes I do plan to track but may also daily, although I have a raptor and a boss 302 that share daily duties.

Here in Vegas the roads are all nicely paved and new so it's not so bad to daily a stiff car.

I'm kinda worried about the 2014 with the grenadine engines.

Thanks everyone I am leaning to keeping the c4s, I do love the car!

Ideally I'd keep it and get a .2 GT3 but I think my wife would murder me!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

I should add though they will cpo the car w a 6 yr 100k warranty
Old 03-17-2017, 12:02 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

If you live in Vegas..... go big or go home.

On the GT-3's can the wing be removed for daily driving so the car looks more like the 911R.

I'm personally not a wing fan but if it could be removed and installed when the aero is needed I might be a convert.

Quick Reply: Trade a 2016 C4S for a 2014 GT3?