Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks...yes it's an Agate Grey "S" with some added goodies
Old 03-17-2017, 10:30 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
I will be going to Atlanta next month, what do I sign up at PEC prior to set this up. I would love to properly try out GTS and Turbo S back to back to really feel the difference
You will select the cars when signing up. Pick the "Turbo / GT3" package. It is actually the Turbo S (which was a nice surprise). They did also have the non-S Turbo'd on the track, so a bit of luck might be needed, but they had quite a few of the Turbo S cars... My two friends and I had no issue getting these.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:16 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

^^^Can you delete CLs on the Turbo S? I can't remember now.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:10 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
You will select the cars when signing up. Pick the "Turbo / GT3" package. It is actually the Turbo S (which was a nice surprise). They did also have the non-S Turbo'd on the track, so a bit of luck might be needed, but they had quite a few of the Turbo S cars... My two friends and I had no issue getting these.
Excellent - Thank You. Will be signing up for April.

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
^^^Can you delete CLs on the Turbo S? I can't remember now.
Yes, CLs can be deleted in Turbo S and the GTS. It is in the configurator.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:49 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

For me, I find that I actually prefer the look and overall drive characteristics of the gts model than I do the turbo(S) model. A part of the problem is the Turbo S is so good, so fast and so capable that it kind of ruins the driving experience so to speak. The sound also really digs at me, because it almost never sounds like a sports car experience that I like (and I've now had 2, a 2012 Turbo S and a 2014 Turbo S). I find the GTS has this kind of strange appeal that lasts longer for me than the other variants, has all the amenities of the new Turbos if specced properly but has this somewhat more pure (even with the new turbos) than the other cars in the lineup if you don't want to bother with the whole GT deal (which I'm at the point where I really don't). Numbers wise, you'll lose more on a turbo S for sure, however with transparency my ordered GTS coupe is like 164k or something in that range...so that won't be the best either. Still prefer it for some reason.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:50 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by mac10
The extra hp of the Turbo is nearly useless on the streets...
No no. This is totally untrue. With the Turbo you can:
- ruin your face
- give your father-in-law a heart attack with LC (seriously, there's a thread...)

and, most importantly

- run the OE Pirellis to slicks more-quickly so that you can buy Michelin's that much sooner.

With a GTS you'd be stuck with the Pirellis for thousands of miles more.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:08 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with visiting the PEC. I was undecided on GT3 vs Turbo S and the session was a huge realization of the obvious decision for my needs.

Frankly, I'd be really surprised if you didn't pick the Turbo S (vs GTS) - its intoxicatingly fast..
Old 03-18-2017, 11:15 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

Which is more fun? If I had an unlimited speed autobahn in my city, definitely the Turbo S, but I live in Toronto where they confiscate your car for going 50 km over the speed limit, so give me louder engine noise and sharp handling.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:26 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo S all the way. I would think a well loaded GTS would approach the base Turbo, which is just a smidgen off the speed of the Turbo S.

If you get the Turbo S, you will never regret not getting the GTS. IMHO.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:19 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

No offense to other owners but a Turbo is a C4 GTS with power! Really, unless cost is a material consideration, the Turbo is the way to go. If you're worried about public reaction, don't. Most people will see either car as a 911 anyway. In fact, most can't tell the difference between a Cayman and a 911. And you can dial down any "in your face" aspect somewhat by color choice. If the S is too stratospheric in dollars, go for a nicely, but not over the top optioned Turbo, or get a used S. (Main reason for S is CLs and PCCBs, IMHO.) I respect people who say you can't use the extra power on the street, but I beg to differ. It's great not only for getting onto freeways, but for passing, and also terrific for backroad drives. I will bet you will see many a (turbo) C4 GTS owner later get a tune for their engine.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
No offense to other owners but a Turbo is a C4 GTS with power! Really, unless cost is a material consideration, the Turbo is the way to go.
Not exactly. According to the Porsche website, the GTS sits 1" lower and weighs at least 130 lbs. less. The weight difference is probably larger when the GTS has the carbon brakes. Based on these two properties, I would expect the GTS to out handle the Turbo, assuming the GTS is optioned with all the handling upgrades found on the Turbo (PDCC, carbon brakes, rear axle steering, etc.).

If you're worried about public reaction, don't. Most people will see either car as a 911 anyway. In fact, most can't tell the difference between a Cayman and a 911. And you can dial down any "in your face" aspect somewhat by color choice.
Agreed. GT Silver will attract less attention than Lava Orange ;-).

If the S is too stratospheric in dollars, go for a nicely, but not over the top optioned Turbo, or get a used S. (Main reason for S is CLs and PCCBs, IMHO.)
Agreed. A fully optioned GTS comes very close to a base Turbo. In these respective trims, the GTS will out handle and out brake the Turbo since the Turbo won't have the carbon brakes or the other handling upgrades found on the fully optioned GTS. But for straight line speed, the Turbo will blow the doors off the GTS and most other vehicles costing less than $300K. A CPO Turbo S is also competitively priced.

I respect people who say you can't use the extra power on the street, but I beg to differ. It's great not only for getting onto freeways, but for passing, and also terrific for backroad drives.
Not completely true in my experience. I have been pulled over by officer friendly for accelerating too aggressively on a freeway entrance ramp, even when there were no other vehicles anywhere to be seen. My point is, don't assume there is no risk to unleashing 580 HP full throttle runs when entering a freeway. By contrast, on a twisting mountain road with a speed limit of 55 MPH, there will likely be many 25 MPH and 30 MPH curves which you can take at 55 without breaking the law or attracting undue attention from Johnny Law. For this, the GTS will be more capable because of its lower weight and lower center of mass.

I will bet you will see many a (turbo) C4 GTS owner later get a tune for their engine.
And why not? The GTS will retain the weight and center of mass advantages. Plus adding 50-75 HP for a few thousand dollars will be fun.

I don't mean to start an argument. I'm just pointing out that the GTS does have some potential advantages over the Turbo even if sheer acceleration is not one of them. Of course, the only way anyone can really decide is to drive both cars and compare. Sadly, this isn't possible yet as no one other than a few select automotive journalists has actually driven a 991.2 GTS. I eagerly await full instrumented tests to determine the performance of the GTS. Then we will at least have a clearer picture of how the cars compare on paper.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:51 AM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
I will be going to Atlanta next month, what do I sign up at PEC prior to set this up. I would love to properly try out GTS and Turbo S back to back to really feel the difference
Go here. Click on Driving Experiences and make your selection.
https://www.porschedriving.com/porsc...center-atlanta
Old 03-20-2017, 01:32 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928

and, most importantly

- run the OE Pirellis to slicks more-quickly so that you can buy Michelin's that much sooner.

With a GTS you'd be stuck with the Pirellis for thousands of miles more.

Ha, one would think. But the AWD of a Turbo works against you here. I got 7000 miles out of the rears of my last Turbo, and 7500 miles out of the rears of my GTS2. Pretty much a toss-up in the quest to rid myself of the Pirellis (although, to be fair, the Turbo came with Michelins.)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Ha, one would think. But the AWD of a Turbo works against you here. I got 7000 miles out of the rears of my last Turbo, and 7500 miles out of the rears of my GTS2.
I'd give ya that if captainkirk (OP) wasn't looking for a GTS-4.

I have this mental picture now of Captain Kirk unable to decide between Orion Slave Girls.

Which one's the Turbo?
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll go with the one in the middle, with the big smile. All us Turbo drivers have one.

Quick Reply: Turbo S or Carrera 4 GTS