35.97%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Turbo S or Carrera 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The turbo S comes with pre cut holes on the side of the car which saves you some work.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:01 AM
mac10
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm a Carrera guy all the way so my opinion is swayed. No fixed wing, fender air inlets to spoil the curves, classic Porsche silhouette with better out of the box sound-hands down the GTS. The extra hp of the Turbo is nearly useless on the streets, you can barely ring out the new base Carrera.
The following users liked this post:
cpbmd (07-26-2021)
Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, I'm wrestling with a very similar decision, new 991.2 Carrera S versus CPO 991.1 Turbo. I love to drive and the Carrera is the better drivers car... but I also love raw power and the big daddy Turbos are staggering in that regard.

As a side note, I currently have a 997.2 Turbo and avoided the S for the ceramic brakes. I've burned through steel brakes on a Ferrari F430 and my 997.2 on the track and fear the punitive cost of doing so with PCCBs!

Good luck with your decision... ultimately you can't go wrong.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:31 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
Turbo S. The only reason you might want a 4 GTS is to have a manual gear box.
Planning to get new gt3 with manual later...I am excited about the 6 speed.

Originally Posted by daberlin
Dave is awesome. Not sure I agree with him, but it's still funny as hell.

(1:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD0-Zo4ZnrQ
Yes, Dave is right. I just showed the clip to my wife, even she agrees with Dave (excited about this stand up on March 21 on Netflix). She said that when we were dating that my car was super clean, that was awesome.

Regardless of the car guys, keep your cars clean when meeting women - it pays off.

Originally Posted by worf928
Don't get the Turbo. It will simply ruin you for other cars. You'll get in your non-Turbo driver and feel angry or depressed. After a while you'll need professional help. Since the disease is not curable the help won't work. Then your wife and even your dog will leave you.

No seriously. The Turbo leads to Attachments. Attachments lead to Jealousy. Jealousy leads to Anger. And you know the rest...

Awe h3ll. Just read this (unless you are easily offended) http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-hu...ent-1230054656
Omg, Too funny. The article rocks - how did you find it? super hilarious. "You can launch people into space with your ...." Awesome...seriously 580hp now..is epic. Though I have a feeling that the next 911 Turbos will be past that as they have to compete with Ferrari 812 Superfast probably past 650 hp.

Originally Posted by Grunty
The turbo S comes with pre cut holes on the side of the car which saves you some work.
Yep, weight saving potential. Hah

Originally Posted by mac10
I'm a Carrera guy all the way so my opinion is swayed. No fixed wing, fender air inlets to spoil the curves, classic Porsche silhouette with better out of the box sound-hands down the GTS. The extra hp of the Turbo is nearly useless on the streets, you can barely ring out the new base Carrera.
This is reason I love the GTS, the design is simple. I love the classic Porsche Design period. Honestly, the best interesting design would be to have new air inlets from the new gt3 and stick them on the back of the new Turbos and use new Panamera style spoiler as it comes up and hides in place. Would be a neat design.

Originally Posted by General Jack
OP, I'm wrestling with a very similar decision, new 991.2 Carrera S versus CPO 991.1 Turbo. I love to drive and the Carrera is the better drivers car... but I also love raw power and the big daddy Turbos are staggering in that regard.

As a side note, I currently have a 997.2 Turbo and avoided the S for the ceramic brakes. I've burned through steel brakes on a Ferrari F430 and my 997.2 on the track and fear the punitive cost of doing so with PCCBs!

Good luck with your decision... ultimately you can't go wrong.
I hope this thread helps you out too with your decision. As for your brakes, I believe PCCBs will last much longer unless you go to track regularly - then steel is recommended.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe the GTS is lighter, lower, and louder (inside) than the Turbo S. If you want something that will win every stop light drag race, then the Turbo it is.

I have not driven either car, but based on the reviews and specifications, I think the GTS will handle a bit better. That is, it will go through curves faster, but the Turbo will pull away at the end of the curves.

For me, money was an issue, so I will "settle" for the GTS.

Cheers
Old 03-17-2017, 03:23 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I'm struggling to get how this is a question. You don't mention cost, so I'll set it aside. The two cars are so similar in that both are turbocharged AWD 911s. But one of them has a 3.8 and big-*** turbos and makes something like 1800 horsepower for 30 seconds when you push the special button. One is widebody, the other is WIDEBODY. One simply says Turbo on the back. The other says 911 Carrera 4 GTS AWD German Coupe. Or something like that.

Seriously, if you're going the AWD turbo route anyway, I can't see a single non-fiscal disadvantage to the Turbo. As far as your concern about ogling, one out of 100 people will be able to tell the difference between the two. So if a Turbo would be ogled, so would a turbo.

I've not had a 991TT, but I've had 996 and 997TTs, and I can tell you, the performance is staggering. I'm happy to be back in NA now because I'm enjoying working for my speed but like I said, if cost doesn't factor in, nolo contendre.
If we're talking N/A... this changes the discussion dramatically!

The turbo cars just aren't as fun to drive after you've done a couple drag races here and there... BIG T vs little t this position is still relevant but to a lesser degree.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:52 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
I agree with him 100% he is a genius, where's he at now?
I would totally say up until I met my wife, yes, 100%. When we went shopping for my Porsche, her only comment was, 'I like the red one...'. This woman wouldn't know the difference between a Honda and a Zonda nor care.

Dave hosted Saturday Night Live a few months ago (was REALLY funny) and popped up at a Town Hall Meeting two weeks ago in Ohio where he lives. Just living a low profile life these days I guess, but he does do some nightclub touring.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:42 PM
boatracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Get the TTS and if you don't like it I'll trade you for my 991.2 C4S....I'm likely upgrading in next cycle, but we'll see.

Both cars are great and depends where and how you'll use it. I use mine every month in MI, which makes me hesitate a bit on the TTS. Not many know a C4S versus a TTS, but they all look at you crazy in the snow.

seriously both are great....might also depend a little on what else is in the stable.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:05 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
I would totally say up until I met my wife, yes, 100%. When we went shopping for my Porsche, her only comment was, 'I like the red one...'. This woman wouldn't know the difference between a Honda and a Zonda nor care.
Yeah, I listened to that clip and cocked my head sideways like a confused dog. Do guys really think that women (not HS girls) actually "dig your car"? I mean, sure, there's a minimum level of acceptable below which they assume you aren't making a decent living. But I'd say most professional women I know who travel in the upper-circles would be no more impressed if you showed up in a Turbo, a base Carrera, a Boxster, an MB E350, or a 535i. In fact, most would probably be more impressed if you had the last two because it would mean you had plenty of money, but you WEREN'T a car geek, which means you wouldn't be spending all the family money on cars and boring her to tears with your hobby. More money could be spent on pillows and shoes for her.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:28 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Yeah, I listened to that clip and cocked my head sideways like a confused dog. Do guys really think that women (not HS girls) actually "dig your car"? I mean, sure, there's a minimum level of acceptable below which they assume you aren't making a decent living. But I'd say most professional women I know who travel in the upper-circles would be no more impressed if you showed up in a Turbo, a base Carrera, a Boxster, an MB E350, or a 535i. In fact, most would probably be more impressed if you had the last two because it would mean you had plenty of money, but you WEREN'T a car geek, which means you wouldn't be spending all the family money on cars and boring her to tears with your hobby. More money could be spent on pillows and shoes for her.
pillows are surprisingly expensive. Don't get me started on the boxes they put above curtains.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:36 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Originally Posted by Grunty
pillows are surprisingly expensive. Don't get me started on the boxes they put above curtains.
I hate these extra pillows that I had to buy for my wife when we got married. Omg, I was like WTF why? these pillows have zero value.

I showed her 911s and she was like they all look the same....but after years, she knows what a 918, Cayman, 911, Turbo, R and Gt3 and Gt3 RS is. Again, this takes years to do.

I told her about this thread, b/c I drove her nuts about these 2 car models and the dilemma that I was facing. She just want to see the outcome now.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 PM
sctanton52
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL, I think right now my P-Car numbers (we have 3) are higher than the wife's pillow/window coverings numbers. But we are doing a new summer home in BC, with LOTS of windows, so I think after that is said and done we will be about equal.

I would say the TTS, but I am biased.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:05 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

FWIW I started off with a heavy C4S build and made the jump to a .2 Turbo. I'm glad I made that call. Currently v260 on my build - should be here in 6-8 weeks.

Having driven in both the Carrera and Turbo - the Carrera does feel more like an NA car than any turbo I've ever driven. That said, it's still a turbo and it has a slight amount of lag. It's still a great driving car. Sound is ok - but not a reason to get a GTS over a Turbo. Neither will sound like an NA 911.

The Turbo is bonkers, terrifyingly fast.

I really doubt you would regret going Turbo, unless you just love the look of the GTS.

Last edited by rk-d; 03-17-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Nanook
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Here's my selection

Old 03-17-2017, 09:32 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Originally Posted by Nanook
Here's my selection

Wow, excellent Turbo S (I assume it is one b/c you have PCCBs). Is that Agate Grey?

Quick Reply: Turbo S or Carrera 4 GTS