Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Turbo S or Carrera 4 GTS

Old 03-16-2017, 10:49 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Turbo S or Carrera 4 GTS

Hey Turbo and GTS Owners,

Based on your experience which one is a car that you can hold for a long term. I am having a very challenging time deciding between Turbo S and GTS.

The purpose of this car is long drives, cross-country, twisty roads, city driving like for kicks going to Costco (minor shopping lol) and running errands.

Can I be incognito with Turbo S, I don't want random people ogling the car and taking snaps in the city, I see this happen all the time with Ferrari/Lambos or anything which looks out of the ordinary.

I do not plan on selling the car anytime soon and I intend to drive the hell out of the car and with minor track use.

How reliable are the new baby Turbo engines in the GTS

Turbo S or a Carrera 4 GTS
Old 03-16-2017, 11:00 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm struggling to get how this is a question. You don't mention cost, so I'll set it aside. The two cars are so similar in that both are turbocharged AWD 911s. But one of them has a 3.8 and big-*** turbos and makes something like 1800 horsepower for 30 seconds when you push the special button. One is widebody, the other is WIDEBODY. One simply says Turbo on the back. The other says 911 Carrera 4 GTS AWD German Coupe. Or something like that.

Seriously, if you're going the AWD turbo route anyway, I can't see a single non-fiscal disadvantage to the Turbo. As far as your concern about ogling, one out of 100 people will be able to tell the difference between the two. So if a Turbo would be ogled, so would a turbo.

I've not had a 991TT, but I've had 996 and 997TTs, and I can tell you, the performance is staggering. I'm happy to be back in NA now because I'm enjoying working for my speed but like I said, if cost doesn't factor in, nolo contendre.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:00 PM
titanflyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL.. Incognito in a 911 of any flavor.. crazy talk.

These are so different on so many levels, how they are on the same level for you is a curious thing.

Buy what feels right if you can afford it.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Cost is not the issue here - I have to pick one, GTS has loud engine noise but the Turbo S doesn't but the power Turbo has is insane. First world problems - sigh

I do like good kick when the car launches in PDK
Old 03-16-2017, 11:05 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Originally Posted by titanflyer
LOL.. Incognito in a 911 of any flavor.. crazy talk.

These are so different on so many levels, how they are on the same level for you is a curious thing.

Buy what feels right if you can afford it.
Maybe I am just crazy as I can spot a Porsche from a distance and tell what model 911 it is.

When I see a Turbo, I am like oooo Turbo...so cool. I know almost everyone sees a 911 they see it as a 911.

I guess I got disturbed by some of the Ferrari and Lambo Fan Reaction videos on Youtube. I know some Ferrari guys get really annoyed by random people coming up to them in a gas stations.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:07 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Turbo S! If you get a more subdued color, you can blend in much better than a Ferrari. But a wild color is kinda fun....
Old 03-16-2017, 11:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,724 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Drive both. I mean, really drive them.

The TTS does not drive the same as a 991.2 C4S GTS. The former carries itself like a traditional modern FI car. The latter feels as normally aspirated as a car can be with a boosted engine.

Long way of saying that the two cars are not substitutes for one another, despite the similarities in engine design.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:14 PM
titanflyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love both.. truly do, and would honestly love to own both.. but if I could afford only one, there is not a single shred of doubt I would be in the turbo.. I mean nothing this side of a 500K dollar hyper car will get that kind of performance.. and even if you don't use it all the time, the times you do will be fantastic.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:53 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Visit the PEC in Atlanta and drive both... After you launch the first time in the Turbo S, you will have your answer.

I'm a bit surprised you're cross shopping a GTS and a Turbo S. It would seem more natural a person would be torn between a GT3 and a Turbo S as they are very different beasts.

No offense to GTS owners, as they are fantastic cars, but I see them as a Carrera S with better option value, more appealing black trim and wheels and, what I find most appealing, the 4/4S widebody.

The Turbo S is this... But on steroids, yet still unstated and useable as a daily driver.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:12 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
Visit the PEC in Atlanta and drive both... After you launch the first time in the Turbo S, you will have your answer.

I'm a bit surprised you're cross shopping a GTS and a Turbo S. It would seem more natural a person would be torn between a GT3 and a Turbo S as they are very different beasts.

No offense to GTS owners, as they are fantastic cars, but I see them as a Carrera S with better option value, more appealing black trim and wheels and, what I find most appealing, the 4/4S widebody.

The Turbo S is this... But on steroids, yet still unstated and useable as a daily driver.
I will be going to Atlanta next month, what do I sign up at PEC prior to set this up. I would love to properly try out GTS and Turbo S back to back to really feel the difference
Old 03-17-2017, 01:13 AM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

If money wasn't an object I would go turbo all the way.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:27 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Turbo S. The only reason you might want a 4 GTS is to have a manual gear box.
The following users liked this post:
GilMGTS (09-10-2023)
Old 03-17-2017, 02:37 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Dave is awesome. Not sure I agree with him, but it's still funny as hell.

(1:15)

Old 03-17-2017, 04:03 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
Dave is awesome. Not sure I agree with him, but it's still funny as hell.

(1:15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD0-Zo4ZnrQ
I agree with him 100% he is a genius, where's he at now?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:23 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Don't get the Turbo. It will simply ruin you for other cars. You'll get in your non-Turbo driver and feel angry or depressed. After a while you'll need professional help. Since the disease is not curable the help won't work. Then your wife and even your dog will leave you.

No seriously. The Turbo leads to Attachments. Attachments lead to Jealousy. Jealousy leads to Anger. And you know the rest...

Awe h3ll. Just read this (unless you are easily offended) http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-hu...ent-1230054656

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo S or Carrera 4 GTS