Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Back home after 7 years..... (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/979942-back-home-after-7-years.html)

HK G36C 03-13-2017 04:59 PM

Back home after 7 years.....

4 Attachment(s)
Is a Porsche just a car? I remember my son telling me it was not just a car dad. He would tell me, dad it is you. He loved our 993. We worked on her together, doing oil changes, brakes jobs to exhaust work. In the 9 or so years that I owned her we put many miles together - very good miles - some scary miles. Getting him to wrestling practice or meets when we were running late was our thing. We lost our son 18 months ago, and I never thought I would ever come back to a Porsche. Our family had grown, so it seemed like it was not the responsible thing to have a Porsche anymore. I also thought I could never bring our memories back with a car. But, when you lose a child you do anything to bring even the most mundane memories back.

I went through several cars, while always, hearing my son tell me, dad you should get another one. These other cars are not you. So, I went through a 7-year journey, at times coming back here and asking questions, almost buying a 2009 997C4s, test driving several others and eventually going with something else - X5M, 2 M5s, even a Tacoma and then a supercharged Tundra [which I kept!]. The last M5 was a great car, but the engine hydro-locked and blew apart.

Last December, my wife said enough with this dance you need to buy another Porsche. Obviously, it will not bring our boy back, but staying away because of your memories with him or thinking it is not the right decision for a family man is simply nuts. She is a keeper! The search began. I looked at several cars locally, but they were not it. I knew I did not want a black car, because of how time consuming it is to keep it clean. I cannot drive a dirty black car. So, it was either going to be silver or white. My first car was a silver which I loved. It also must be an S with the following build:

-Rear wiper
-PDK
-PASM
-Sport Exhaust system
-Sport chrono package
-Power sport seats
-Premium package
-Sport design or aero package - really did not like the duck tail with a wing mounted on top or the duck tail, but it was must for the front.
-PDLS
-Full leather
-Sport steering wheel with paddles
The search was on.

I know the rear wiper was top on my list. I think because my 993 had one and it is invaluable in the Pacific NW. Also, I wanted to buy local, if possible due to PPI issues. I looked at several cars and they did not do it for me. Finally, about 3 weeks ago, I got a call from a friend saying he saw what seemed like the car for me. I contacted the dealership immediately and could not believe it. A local car, still under warranty, 23k on her, 2013, with the above build, other goodies and a rear wiper. With the help of George I got the skinny on this car. I found the previous owners. I made contact and jumped on it. I further found she had spacers and a full front bra. The car checked out beautifully at the Sunset Porsche. I am only going do to a few mods, exhaust, rear GT wing [the duck tail does not do it for us] and a few little things here and there.

She is my daily driver and no garage queen! Car seats in and my girls love her! It is good to be home!

Madmac 03-13-2017 05:06 PM

Welcome back to the fold. Great looking car, is that Rhodium or GT silver? Looks great either way; really great looking wheels too. Enjoy!

Fitcherama 03-13-2017 05:06 PM

Nice story. These are more than just cars to me too. Congratulations on your new baby and it sounds like she found a great new home. Look forward to some pics after your mods.

Harsany 03-13-2017 05:41 PM

Congrats..enjoy it safely.

Ski Porsche 03-13-2017 05:47 PM

Touching story, so sorry for your loss. Cars strike a chord for some and that sensibility often extends to following generations and makes a connection that increase bonds of love. Sounds like that's how it is for you. Best to you with your Porsche.

STG 03-13-2017 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great write up and story. So sorry for the loss of your son. I'm sure he's watching and happy you "got another one". Enjoy it. It's a beauty.

Attachment 1144681

bmedude 03-13-2017 07:29 PM

Beautiful car and I love the thought process behind the purchase. May your son Rest In Peace.

Bemo 03-13-2017 07:45 PM

OP - I'm sorry about your loss and it should serve as yet another reminder that life is precious, fragile, and often ends when it shouldn't.

Enjoy your car

George from MD 03-13-2017 07:47 PM

I curse the day I sold my 993. It was perfect, served as a track car for ten plus years and fit me like a glove. On technical tracks it could blow away far more powerful cars that were less well driven.

In comparison to my mates it was eventually underpowered and I fell into the arms race...sold it for a GT3 which wasn't right from day one.

MeshGearFox 03-13-2017 09:13 PM

What a poignant but lovely story. Sorry for your loss, sir. Can't imagine how much that hurts. But glad that life has remained open to other pleasures and joys, like your girls, and your wife, and your beautiful new Porsche. It's a sweet one for sure.

I also had a beloved 993 back in the 1990s, but mine left our family in ignominy after having been backed-over (accidentally, of course) by my darling wife's Land Rover Discovery. Here it was, pre-crushing:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...31dcff2473.jpg

And I also just jumped back into Porscheland around Christmas with a new C2S, but haven't taken delivery from the dealer, who's keeping it in storage until the snow here clears. Which is being thwarted by the blizzard that's about to clobber us. Expecting 18"-24" in next 24 hours. This will have to wait a week or two more...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ffc33ba318.jpg

Thank you for sharing your story. I hope your new ride brings happiness, warm memories, and gleeful acceleration.

StormRune 03-13-2017 09:58 PM

Beautiful car! I'm glad to see your whole family is on board and I'm sure it's just the car your son would want to see you in.

As a dad that has done a lot of work on cars with my nineteen year-old son ever since he was little, and who now has his own car that we mod and love, I have to say that your story was the first in several years here to bring tears to my eyes. It will help me treasure these times with my son even more, and maybe I'll even find a reason for more of them now! So thank you for sharing the story and congratulations on a wonderful family and car!

dflowerz 03-13-2017 11:17 PM

Very sorry for your loss, but very glad you are back in a 911. Beautiful car. Looks a lot like mine which is a 2017 but Rhodium Silver.

mdkrp 03-14-2017 12:49 AM

Thank you for sharing and very glad you are "back in the fold".
Congratulations and drive your new car in good health.
It comes as no surprise to us car enthusiasts that all of our cars- past and present- have a fair amount of emotional bonds.

HK G36C 03-14-2017 01:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thank you all for such a warm welcome back! It means a lot. I am still trying to make sense of losing him. I suppose sharing our loss publicly has helped us heal a little at a time. When he was 7, we bought our first e30 m3. 3 years later, I sold her and bought another e30 m3. This one in dark grey metallic. Our 993 came next! My oldest daughter takes very much after her brother in her love for speed. Every morning on the way to school I hear faster dad, faster dad. Of course, dad does knows better! I will continue posting pictures of the mods here! Thank you all again.

studlee 03-14-2017 03:17 AM

Great story, sorry for your loss, but i'm sure your son is smiling now. =)