Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 PSE - Anyone running it with vacuum lines disconnected so it's always "on"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 250 Posts
Default 991.1 PSE - Anyone running it with vacuum lines disconnected so it's always "on"?

Plenum has a post on his blog about disconnecting/capping the vacuum lines on a non-PSE rear muffler to prevent the valves from closing, thus making the car louder at idle/under 3500rpm, etc.

Wondering if anyone with PSE has tried this, and if so, what they thought?

I don't have PSE but am considering just installing the PSE muffler and not connecting the vacuum lines to keep it in loud-mode all the time.

Thanks,

-Adam
Old 03-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Don't really see the point. You push the button....valves open and stay open. Idle, around town, or full scream. It's not like the GT3 apparently is.

But you get to make it quiet when you've been out too late.

So no, no reason to wire them open. Now, I've heard about guys thinking about wiring them SHUT to pass db restrictions at a racetrack. But not sure if anyone actually has.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 PM
bittrl1000
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
So no, no reason to wire them open. Now, I've heard about guys thinking about wiring them SHUT to pass db restrictions at a racetrack. But not sure if anyone actually has.
YOU may not see a reason to do this, but that doesn't mean that there is NO reason to. The OP may prefer to not have to hit a button every time the car is started.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:13 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

You can leave the vacuum lines disconnected but make sure to cap-off the hose-ends so you don't get a yellow warning about a coolant system failure each time you start the car.... Plenty of people, both with and without PSE have done this hack with no issues (to my knowledge).
Old 03-10-2017, 07:15 PM
dkim12
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

When I first got PSE installed with an xpipe, I thought I would like it always to be on. Then the hose came undone, and it was pretty annoying especially when starting cold and on the highway. My wife hates it on when we go on a drive together. It's definitely good to have the option to close, and you will miss the flexibility it gives.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:48 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by bittrl1000
YOU may not see a reason to do this, but that doesn't mean that there is NO reason to. The OP may prefer to not have to hit a button every time the car is started.
Ummm, ok. Sorry?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:07 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by bittrl1000
That's not what the OP implied at all. He is contemplating giving up the choice of off/on in order to avoid the hassle/cost of wiring up a button. I can't imagine anyone who actually has PSE from the factory with the button working, disabling it so they would lose the ability to switch. All so they didn't have to "push a button." I'd say anybody worth his salt is pushing the Sport or Sport+ button already, so the binoculars engage automatically.

If you're not pushing at least Sport, what are you doing wanting the exhaust mooing at you during those lazy Comfort Shifts the computer eases through so as to not upset your latte?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

You lose some low end torque doing this.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:39 PM
P-car fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
That's not what the OP implied at all. He is contemplating giving up the choice of off/on in order to avoid the hassle/cost of wiring up a button. I can't imagine anyone who actually has PSE from the factory with the button working, disabling it so they would lose the ability to switch. All so they didn't have to "push a button." I'd say anybody worth his salt is pushing the Sport or Sport+ button already, so the binoculars engage automatically.

If you're not pushing at least Sport, what are you doing wanting the exhaust mooing at you during those lazy Comfort Shifts the computer eases through so as to not upset your latte?

I immediately turn mine to Individual after starting her up, which for me includes Sport. I don't think I'll ever drive in Normal/Comfort!
Old 03-11-2017, 08:47 AM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. I should have specified - I have an S without PSE and am considering just installing the PSE muffler without tapping into the vacuum lines and/or installing the switch/getting it programmed. Was curious as to people's experience with PSE being always on for that reason.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:29 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Thanks all. I should have specified - I have an S without PSE and am considering just installing the PSE muffler without tapping into the vacuum lines and/or installing the switch/getting it programmed. Was curious as to people's experience with PSE being always on for that reason.
In this case, something to consider is to get a third-party X-pipe for non-PSE cars from a vendor like Fabspeed (no affiliation but I've had some of their products). John Gaydos often chimes in on the forum and could help advise you here... but here is a link to their product that I think fits your needs: http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-991-...bypass-x-pipe/. It will give you always-on for sure if that ends up being okay for you.

I'm not 100% sure that a OEM PSE center will fit correctly on a non-PSE car, but I'm sure either you know or others here will know for sure.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:45 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

As I'm sure you know there are some used PSE centers out there at cheaper prices than anything new from people that have switched to x-pipes . I see a couple on eBay. The nice thing about going that route is that if you do decide that always-open is too much, you know that you can add the switch etc. later and have a real PSE setup and you've spent less up front in case the switch isn't needed. Just thinking...
Old 03-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
As I'm sure you know there are some used PSE centers out there at cheaper prices than anything new from people that have switched to x-pipes . I see a couple on eBay. The nice thing about going that route is that if you do decide that always-open is too much, you know that you can add the switch etc. later and have a real PSE setup and you've spent less up front in case the switch isn't needed. Just thinking...
Exactly my thinking, although I'm not seeing any pse centers on ebay with the correct p/n.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:27 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd prefer control and have an option.

On my last car, the valves opened after a certain RPM with no option for any button. Many of us found the fuse, pulled it and this resulted on full time open valves.

Quick Reply: 991.1 PSE - Anyone running it with vacuum lines disconnected so it's always "on"?