Sponsored by:

Door panel top detaching ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 09:43 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by TXC2

mine is a 5/2015 build and just had both panels replaced under warranty. The passenger side had 2” bulge in the center of the panel.
My build was a few months earlier and have had no issues so far. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:37 AM
WarEagle13
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmesa
Hennessey or Perimeter? Interested to hear how they take care of you.
Perimeter. Max Landes is my SA and has always taken excellent care of me.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:56 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I came out yesterday morning and my 2014 C4S had the driver’s door panel lift away about a half inch. I noticed the passenger side is lifting too but a lot less. Thank goodness I am still under warranty. Taking in Tuesday.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:37 PM
WarEagle13
Track Day

Two new door panels installed over the weekend by Jim Ellis in Atlanta. I dropped it off Friday AM and it was good to go by noon Monday.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:10 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WarEagle13
Two new door panels installed over the weekend by Jim Ellis in Atlanta. I dropped it off Friday AM and it was good to go by noon Monday.
Do they look any different? Supposedly they were replaced by a new part number, I wonder if they finally redesigned them to not warp.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:54 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 139 Posts

Make sure you play some loud music and maybe some talk radio (different bass)... Post fix, my speaker was vibrating annoyingly and they had to redo it...Frankly it's still not 100% but I'm tired of asking...

My 6 months old replacement panels (+/-) seem already a little "loose" in the middle... Not detaching like before but you can push down on them a little more than I think you should... My vote is that the new panels are no better.... But 2 y warranty on porsche parts, right ?
Old 05-24-2018, 02:18 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

That's great to hear!

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Make sure you play some loud music and maybe some talk radio (different bass)... Post fix, my speaker was vibrating annoyingly and they had to redo it...Frankly it's still not 100% but I'm tired of asking...

My 6 months old replacement panels (+/-) seem already a little "loose" in the middle... Not detaching like before but you can push down on them a little more than I think you should... My vote is that the new panels are no better.... But 2 y warranty on porsche parts, right ?
Both of my panels had been replaced prior to my ownership. The driver's side had a rattle in the mirror switch that was constant over any rough pavement. My passenger's side had a terrible rattle whenever there was any bass through the speakers. I took both off myself and a) put some foam paper behind the mirror switch and eliminated all the rattling there and b) located a broken retaining clip for the wiring harness and secured it with double sided tape. Also sound deadened both panels, and the car now sounds very tight with no rattles.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:51 PM
WarEagle13
Track Day

I'll scrutinize the work when I get back to the States. I was suspicious with the quick turnaround (repair v. replace) , but I had a scratch on my speaker grill that's now gone. Good call on checking for rattles with the stereo.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:23 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

The door panel on my 2014 Cayman S is warping. I was thinking about gluing it back down since it's out of warranty but then someone on Planet 9 mentioned the air bag.

I happen to have air bag deployment pics from my wrecked 2005 997S and it sure looks to me that the air bag deploys through this gap so gluing would be a bad idea. I'll head to the dealer next week and see if they offer to fix it.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:53 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

After reading the thread a couple of weeks ago, I took mine in and they replaced the driver side with the passenger side on backorder....about 4 weeks as it’s coming from der Vaterland.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:36 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i had both of mine replaced recently under CPO....did a quick google search on the part # and my eyeballs popped out

$25XX EACH DOOR PANEL!!!!!! that's 5 grand right there, plus they also replaced the roof rail which is another $1XXX plus labor.........

i think i just got my CPOs $$ worth (and some) LOL!
Old 08-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

WOOHOOO! Just got my car back today with two beautiful new unwarped door panels!!!

After sending my dealership the wrong panels under goodwill, Porsche apparently told my dealership to go screw themselves with the goodwill, but my dealership is awesome so they fixed it for free anyway.

Sounds like Porsche is tired of giving out free panels though I wonder if this will be the IMS of the 991 generation.

HAPPY ENDING FOR ME THOUGH!
Old 08-01-2018, 03:31 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 139 Posts

Not to burst your bubble (happy for you) but the new panels (or NOS panels, whatever they are) are not that much better. Mine were redone last year and I can tell the middle is slightly lifting already. Nothing bad yet but I'm fairly positive the problem is not solved, it's just a part that has not seen the sun (or whatever else makes them warp).
All in all I'll take that over an IMS though ;-)
Old 08-01-2018, 03:39 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Can someone post a photo of the slightly lifting panels?
Old 08-01-2018, 03:50 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
Can someone post a photo of the slightly lifting panels?
I was going to ask the same question.
please post a picture. Thank you very much

Quick Reply: Door panel top detaching ?