Sponsored by:

Door panel top detaching ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 05:38 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm not near the car at the minute, but basically on the replacement panel I can push down the middle section a little, and from outside you can see 2-3mm of panel sticking out in the middle, which is not the case on the edges. Maybe that's how they come but I am pretty sure when brand new it was totally even.. Still a vast improvement over the previous 1/2" lift that showed a gap under the panel !! I'll try a pic is significant - I have not cared much because of the dealer's 2y warranty on parts and labor and I'll have them redo it before then if necessary...
Old 08-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Had both my panels done last week. Passenger side was obviously lifting/warped, drivers side was very loose so they replaced them both. When I called my SA, I asked him if he wanted me to swing by to inspect before they ordered parts. We have a great relationship and he said, "Nah man, I know you know what you're talking about and this is a common problem, I'll just order the parts and call you when they get in."

Two new door panels, car's good as new. My SA said he's got a local upholstery guy looking in to an inexpensive fix for customers now that folks are coming out of warranty because the replacement costs are ridiculous (as mentioned previously). He also told me to be sure to check my panels again right before my CPO expires. The car is almost five years old now, so I doubt they'll go bad again before the warranty expires. Hopefully Porsche did some re-engineering on these things and my new panels are "better" than the originals.

I was thinking this is an easy DIY fix. Rough up the hard plastic underneath to ensure your choice of adhesive sticks well and then just glue them down. But the side impact airbags has me wondering. If they come out and between the hard plastic and padded/leather area then you wouldn't want to use super strong adhesive. If they come out under the hard plastic and between that and the window you'd be alright gluing them down. I'd need to look closely at a car that deployed side airbags to figure that out though.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:10 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
I'm not near the car at the minute, but basically on the replacement panel I can push down the middle section a little, and from outside you can see 2-3mm of panel sticking out in the middle, which is not the case on the edges. Maybe that's how they come but I am pretty sure when brand new it was totally even.. Still a vast improvement over the previous 1/2" lift that showed a gap under the panel !! I'll try a pic is significant - I have not cared much because of the dealer's 2y warranty on parts and labor and I'll have them redo it before then if necessary...
mine are like this, 1-2 mm higher in the middle, is a 2017 991.2, build date 11/2016. I hope it does note get worse.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
I was thinking this is an easy DIY fix. Rough up the hard plastic underneath to ensure your choice of adhesive sticks well and then just glue them down. But the side impact airbags has me wondering. If they come out and between the hard plastic and padded/leather area then you wouldn't want to use super strong adhesive. If they come out under the hard plastic and between that and the window you'd be alright gluing them down. I'd need to look closely at a car that deployed side airbags to figure that out though.
Just came up with a solution if you are out of warranty assuming the side impact airbags come out between the hard plastic and the padded leather of the door panel......Velcro. Thankfully I won't have to try this for at least a couple more years once my car is out of warranty. But if anyone is already out of warranty and is looking for a DIY, this might be the solution. Use something strong to adhere the Velcro to the plastic panel and the foam padding, and then the male and female Velcro pieces keep the top of the panel from lifting up/warping. I'd think deploying airbags would separate the Velcro apart easily and it wouldn't affect the airbags' performance.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Does anyone know what the leather panels do differently which makes them not warp?
Old 08-02-2018, 06:58 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Does anyone know what the leather panels do differently which makes them not warp?
^^ Do we know this is true? Leather one's don't suffer this issue

(i have full leather)
Old 08-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
^^ Do we know this is true? Leather one's don't suffer this issue

(i have full leather)
I have leather in my '13 981, with no deformation noticed so far. It's easy to assume that leather panels don't warp, given the lack of complaints, but because full leather is extremely rare in both 981s and 991s it's hard to be sure.

There has, in fact, been at least one report of warped leather panels that seems credible. 'Genesis' on Planet-9 didn't provide any photos of the warping itself, though. My first guess/hope was that they were mistaken about having leather on the upper door panel, but the same user also reported a headliner problem with a photo that confirmed that they do.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:04 PM
Ken Harding
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer is awesome! I just had both of my door panels replaced under my CPO warranty. Good as new.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:02 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm supposed to get the word on whether or not mine will be replaced under warranty tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:15 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, I'm not going for a best director oscar here... Just wanted to answer previous question and show how much deflection I already see on the middle part of my replacement panels in 6 months or so... FYI the passenger side door is solid. No deflection. Driver side as you can see already moves maybe 1/4" so i sincerely doubt that the "new" panel (if that is what I got) will last any longer than the old. I imagine by the time the repair is out of warranty it'll pop up enough to warrant replacement again.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Anything will warp given enough time/sunlight/heat,.....I would tend to believe the glue that holds the panel material down simply seeps in more to leather compared to vinyl, that is why you don't see too many leather failures. As time goes buy you will see more I would think.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:29 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

My 2013 911 has this separation; Is this what you guys are taking about? It seems as though the panel is separating from the door. Drivers side and passenger side.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:41 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes....

But the video was a NEW replacement panel for the problem you picture above. Which leads me to believe the replacement panels are just as defective, long term.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:56 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

I believe by design they all can be lifted up (no glue) because the side impact airbag comes up through there. The issue, which Porsche covers under warranty by replacing them, is when the material bows-up/warps on its own. It literally looks wavy just sitting there on its own.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:30 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg D.
yes....

But the video was a NEW replacement panel for the problem you picture above. Which leads me to believe the replacement panels are just as defective, long term.
Damn. That vid I was a new door panel. That sucks. I thought it was a glue problem that has been fixed.

Quick Reply: Door panel top detaching ?