Sponsored by:

Porsche Factory Visit

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 01:28 PM
john iacobucci
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Porsche Factory Visit

My wife and I are heading to San Marino in September to attend the MotoGp. From there we're traveling to Austria and Germany, while in Germany we plan on visiting the Porsche museum and factory. Since it's our first trip to Germany I'm wondering if any Rennlist members could pass on any advice or suggestions about the museum/factory.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2017, 02:47 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Just do it! My Wife and I went for the tour on our Honeymoon!
Old 03-07-2017, 03:46 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, it's a MUST visit. However, be advise to book early with a set of proposed dates sooner rather than later.

email: factorytours@porsche.de.

Also, make plans while there to tour the museum. Did both in 2013 and it was awesome. Saw the new (then) 991 Turbo S's coming off the factory line. Best factory tour of the four we did (Mercedes/Stuttgart, Audi/Ingolstadt, BMW/Munich, Porsche/Stuttgart).
Old 03-07-2017, 05:08 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Porsche is good. Mercedes is better. Make a point to go to Mercedes even over Porsche.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:29 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

^^this.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:17 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're passing Heidelberg you should stop off and wander round the old town, go up to the castle, it's very pretty.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:38 PM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 141 Posts

Heidelberg is fabulous and book the plant tour as early as you can. The Porsche Drive program is really cool as well.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:12 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
Porsche is good. Mercedes is better. Make a point to go to Mercedes even over Porsche.
I think it depends on which production line you were shown. I was on the E Class Tour (2013) at Sindelfingen. It was the least impressive of the four factories we experienced on our trip. My rank: 1. Porsche (911/Cayman/Boxster line), 2. BMW (3 Series Line), 3. Audi (Q5 Line), 4. Mercedes (E Class Line).
Old 03-11-2017, 07:25 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

Museum is closed on Monday so be sure to book the factory tour on another day. I've done the factory tour about 7 times now and it's awesome and something new each time.

I just did the Leipzig factory tour as well and that was very neat to compare the two. Leipzig is about four hours northeast of Stuttgart, so if you have the time, try them both.

Two restaurants in the Museum. The ground floor is called Boxenstop and it's good. Sometimes it's filled, but during the week, there is a good small restaurant just down the street. Exit the Museum doors and follow the sidewalk around to the right for about 5 minutes. The factory and the dealership will be directly behind you as you are walking. It's on the right side of the street...great sandwiches and hot meals plus a great bakery all in one. (https://www.siegel-backkultur.de/filialen?id=7)

The Christophorous restaurant is on the top floor of the Museum and you should have reservations. Expensive, but amazing. We went there for our Anniversary...great steak.

In Austria, go to Gmund to see the original sawmill factory. There is a private Porsche Museum in town that is very nice...the ground floor starts off a little slow, but the upstairs has some great cars. (http://www.auto-museum.at) A nice hotel, but basic is: http://hotel-platzer.at

Salzburg is our favorite city. Stay at a place called Blobergerhof on Hammerauer Strasse. (http://www.blobergerhof.at/en/blober...f-in-salzburg/) It's a family place that has the most amazing breakfast we've found in Europe. Super nice family, Sylvia is the owner with her husband. Plenty of parking and the plan is in the country. Across the street is a bus stop that will have you in the center of Salzburg in 15 minutes...easy ride and you can purchase bus passes and the Salzburg card at the hotel that gives you big discounts at the cool things. Let me know if you are visiting Salzburg and I will pass you the places to see. Great thing about Salzburg is that everything to see is walkable and can be done in a full day.

If you will be over here before the end of June, let me know. We fly out 30 June...it's been an amazing three years over here. Also, I can send you my Black Forest drive route...been driving it for the last 2.5 years and it is amazing...no need to go to any of the tracks and deal with the crazy drivers and traffic and pay a lot. The Black Forest on a Sunday morning is a driver's paradise.

Quick Reply: Porsche Factory Visit