Sponsored by:

Rear lower wishbone - need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:37 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Rear lower wishbone - need help

Trying to install my new sport PASM sway bars - in the rear it seems to get out the old one I have to drop the lower control arm wishbone. Two questions:

1) Will I have to realign the car if I remove this? I think not, as the other end of this has the eccentric bolt with alignment markings, but wanted to verify.

2) What is the torque value to retighten this bolt to?

Old 03-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

I haven't done this specific procedure (I did look into this as I'm interested in replacing many of these components with their GT3 counterparts to give me more adjustability).

Alignment: While you are working on the other end of the arm (not the end with the eccentric bolt) it will only maintain 'absolute' alignment if everything fits back just right. If you are dialing in camber within fractions of a degree then you might want to consider a realignment. If it's just a daily driver and you've never had the alignment checked then you're probably ok.

Torque: A general rule is that torque is set by the bolt size (materials do play into this so it isn't guaranteed applicable), so as example all 10mm will have the same torque value. This is very generic but it does get you into the ballpark. Porsche may have a general table of torque versus size (and maybe material).

There is a member on RL named Plenum, I recommend you search him out and send him a PM. He has access to the Porsche tech manuals and may have already pulled down the manual for this procedure. If so, there's a good chance the manual will tell you the exact torque,
Old 03-05-2017, 05:48 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I would mark the eccentric bolt with a fine felt pen in order to realign it. If you remove the inside bolt i dont see a way for you to not upset the eccentric side the moment you lower it out of the way.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:06 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

See if the information is in the attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
torque specs.pdf (580.0 KB, 891 views)
Old 03-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

I would recommend a 4-wheel alignment, no matter how close you think you get it. If it's off, you'll wear tires and suspension parts very quickly. $150 for an alignment will pay for itself down the road.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks guys - I actually downloaded the workshop manual procedure for this, so have the exact torque. PIWIS TSI is an amazing resource!

But back to the eccentric bolt - how is my loosing the outer end and moving it out of the way (while not touching the inner side with the eccentric bolt) any different then the arm moving through it's normal range of motion while driving? The eccentric bolt sees motion either way, right? If it's tight it's designed to stay in place I think?

The alignment is not just a money things, it's a royal pain in the *** the drop my car off, have to get the wife involved, hear the complaints, etc. You know the drill if your are happily married 🙂

I'll be posting my progress back on my sway bar thread. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:11 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
Thanks guys - I actually downloaded the workshop manual procedure for this, so have the exact torque. PIWIS TSI is an amazing resource!

But back to the eccentric bolt - how is my loosing the outer end and moving it out of the way (while not touching the inner side with the eccentric bolt) any different then the arm moving through it's normal range of motion while driving? The eccentric bolt sees motion either way, right? If it's tight it's designed to stay in place I think?

The alignment is not just a money things, it's a royal pain in the *** the drop my car off, have to get the wife involved, hear the complaints, etc. You know the drill if your are happily married 🙂

I'll be posting my progress back on my sway bar thread. Thanks.
good luck. Would love to hear what you think about the sway bars once installed.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
But back to the eccentric bolt - how is my loosing the outer end and moving it out of the way (while not touching the inner side with the eccentric bolt) any different then the arm moving through it's normal range of motion while driving?
It's not. As long as you don't touch the eccentric you're good to go.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:24 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I find it hard to believe that the drop links are the same as non spsam. I dont trust your source. i would get a vin number from a spasm car to reference the correct parts needed. Besides, the preload is differnt to a stock pasm and that alone will throw off a corner balance.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:40 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I find it hard to believe that the drop links are the same as non spsam. I dont trust your source. i would get a vin number from a spasm car to reference the correct parts needed. Besides, the preload is differnt to a stock pasm and that alone will throw off a corner balance.
The drop links should be the same. See attached pictures of the parts diagram that I have. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Rear lower wishbone - need help