k4site
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Electric oil pump ?
Old 03-04-2017, 07:16 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

It's a mechanical oil pump with an electric bypass that varies the oil pressure to match the engine's needs. You'll notice that at lowish rpm, the oil pressure is around 30 psi and it jumps to roughly double that when you increase rpm and throttle. Not pumping maximum oil all the time squeezes a bit more efficiency form the engine.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by k4site
Electric oil pump ?
Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
It's a mechanical oil pump with an electric bypass that varies the oil pressure to match the engine's needs. You'll notice that at lowish rpm, the oil pressure is around 30 psi and it jumps to roughly double that when you increase rpm and throttle. Not pumping maximum oil all the time squeezes a bit more efficiency form the engine.
You are correct. Mechanical oil pump with electric motor assist.
The following users liked this post:
Joe911991 (06-11-2021)
Old 03-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Hi,

Quick update:
1. Purchased Rhino Max ramps (16k lbs capacity), a bit of an overkill but better safe than sorry.
2. 36mm oil filter socket / drain plugs / oil catch pan.
3. Got the oil change kits from Suncoast which come with the crash washer, filter and cap gasket.
4. Still need a low capacity torque wrench.
5. Need warm weather to get busy.

I'll update the thread once I've done the oil change, will be the first "DIY" one for me.

Thanks to JSONOL for this thread, detailed instructions and ECS tuning part numbers which made ordering stuff super easy!
Old 03-19-2017, 05:42 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick question for those DIY their oil change. I have read that Kluber Syntheso Glep (Porsche part# 000.043.204.68) needs to be used for the o-ring on the filter housing instead of fresh oil.

What do you guys do?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtrom
Quick question for those DIY their oil change. I have read that Kluber Syntheso Glep (Porsche part# 000.043.204.68) needs to be used for the o-ring on the filter housing instead of fresh oil.

What do you guys do?

Thanks in advance.
I do it by the book. Buy the grease!
Old 03-19-2017, 10:28 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtrom

What do you guys do?

Thanks in advance.
The purpose of this grease is to protect the o-ring on the oil filter housing from moisture, friction, overall wear.

To that point, any synthetic grease will do the trick - I have Mobil 1 (pink stuff) synthetic grease in the garage that I could use for applications like this. However, I have been replacing these type of plastic insert filters in Volvos, VW's, BMW's, Porsche's for years and I usually just take a dab of fresh Mobil 1 oil and ring around the o-ring before I spin it down.

To do it by the book, buy the proper Porsche parts. But, as many of us are engineers, we are taught to 'tailor' processes when there is limited risk in doing so. O-ring applications on Space Shuttle Boosters in low temps? No. Bad idea. However, in this application, I would say you could tailor the process with limited risk to the o-ring. :-)
Old 04-08-2017, 07:13 PM
Bemo
Drifting

All set, I added a tad more oil after I took the picture, to get to a tick before the max level.
So things i learned:
1. Being helped by a friend who's done this in the past is priceless.
2. The plastic ring that holds the air fans in place was missing. I have contacted my SA @ Suncoast for a replacement:
3. The old oil plug had been over-tightened, damned service gorillas!
4. I modified the DIY slightly, by completely removing the fans and the air intake vent to create plenty of room to operate...

JSONOL - huge thanks for posting the DIY.
Attached Images    
Old 04-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,114 Likes on 665 Posts

what's the rubber mallet for - is it an essential tool for an oil change?
Old 04-08-2017, 07:26 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
The 8mm hex was stuck in the oil plug, see #3 in my post
Old 04-08-2017, 11:43 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 951 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
A hammer is the first/universal tool. Rubber hammer shows euro-sophistication.
The following users liked this post:
straka (06-28-2021)
Old 04-09-2017, 11:20 AM
JimHJr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you guys resetting the oil change reminder?
Old 04-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimHJr
How are you guys resetting the oil change reminder?
Chasing a local Indy for the reset

Also reading up on Durametric: http://www.durametric.com/ServiceRem...esetVideo.aspx
Old 04-09-2017, 10:35 PM
First991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just wanted to say thanks for this procedure JNOSOL. Just finished my first DIY and it was a breeze thanks to you.

Few things I noticed-
- when i removed the engine cover the fans come off too. I removed the right side harness and moved the whole assembly to the right so I can access the filter. I think mine may be different because its a cabrio?
- after my first test drive the lingering smell in the garage is a lot more pleasant than it was before. Hopefully that didn't mean I was long overdue for an oil change. I bought my car CPO 6 months and ~2500 miles ago. According to the dealer it was changed right before I purchased it.
- at 7.5q my level came out at 1/5. I had to top it off to around 8q to get to 3/5. Oh, and having a cabrio PLUS ducktail gives you very little room to top off. Had to use a solo cup to transfer oil lol.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:20 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by First991
just wanted to say thanks for this procedure JNOSOL. Just finished my first DIY and it was a breeze thanks to you.

Few things I noticed-
- when i removed the engine cover the fans come off too. I removed the right side harness and moved the whole assembly to the right so I can access the filter. I think mine may be different because its a cabrio?
- after my first test drive the lingering smell in the garage is a lot more pleasant than it was before. Hopefully that didn't mean I was long overdue for an oil change. I bought my car CPO 6 months and ~2500 miles ago. According to the dealer it was changed right before I purchased it.
- at 7.5q my level came out at 1/5. I had to top it off to around 8q to get to 3/5. Oh, and having a cabrio PLUS ducktail gives you very little room to top off. Had to use a solo cup to transfer oil lol.
It's certainly not a twenty minute project. The old oil should be allowed to drain out over at least one hour to be properly completed. Also, unless all services are completed by a dealer they must be redone by the dealer inorder to be CPO'd, believe it or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JNOSOL's Comprehensive DIY - Oil Change