Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Here To End The .1 vs. .2 Arguments Once And For All...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
I personally could give a flying "F" which one is better regardless of any sounds or metrics. I am happy to own and drive one of the most iconic and revered sports cars ever produced. I come to this forum to learn about my first 911 and get deafened by all of the useless noise. Everyone needs to check their egos at the door before entering and make this a useful forum for information and the exchange of ideas.
Well said!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:57 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wsjchoi
I admit, I'm too poor for a brand spanking new 911
but my "old" car is better, don't ask me why, it's just better in many ways
Old 03-01-2017, 06:10 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
There are 2 components of this that are affecting value.

1. Is that in the old days, everything was mechanical. Electronics become obsolete much faster than anything else in the world. Hell, a phone becomes outdated every year. Progress with regards to electronics happens more rapidly than ever before and it is not slowing down in any of our lifetimes.

2. Cars grouped by the most nostalgic and highest value when eliminating outliers are the ones that either our parents drove or we dreamed of having as kids. Look at any collectable.... Kids these days won't give a damn about an original Buck Rogers toy. It's before my time but old people with money become nostalgic about that stuff and are willing to have something from their childhood. Anything like that with high value is essentially quantifying emotional value in monetary terms. When the emotion literally dies, the value goes down. These collectables are priced cyclically.
This is very true. I find that at this stage of my life I can now afford my toys and the ones I was nostalgic about as a child. Hence the high prices now for air-cooled Porsches, Testarossas, and screaming chicken Trans-Ams.

Perhaps young people today will be nostalgic of their old gaming machines and perhaps they will go up more.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:15 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
This is the main reason we should of created a separate forum for the .2 group! I'm tired of hearing all about it!
This was proposed early on (you may have been the proponent of it, I don't recall.) Many reasons for yea and many for nay.

The commonality of everything on the 991 platform has even a lot of GT and Turbo owners hanging out here in the lowly Carrera forum, so having to check both fora everytime you wanted to see if you're up to date on things that apply to both models would be tiresome for some of us if they were split.

But the element of "not having your face rubbed in some comment by the other camp that, by gawd, you just have to wade in and defend the honour of your chosen steed" would be a refreshing change, for sure.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:43 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Found this book on old Porsches.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

There is no wrong answer to this question.

Let's face it, these cars are like hot women (in more ways than one). We are all lucky to have one in our lives. Whether you're a boob man, a butt man, fan of blondes, brunettes, redheads, short, tall, whatever, they are all pretty special.

Best to relax and enjoy what we have! We could all be driving CamCords!
Old 03-01-2017, 07:49 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

I read only the first three sentences of the first post and will summarize the discussion with this:

.....sorry but the 993 is better than both.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:08 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I am too old to worry. I'll let my "beneficiaries" decide. In the meantime, time for a ride up the hills
Old 03-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Stopped reading at:
I stopped reading at "Cheers!"
Old 03-01-2017, 08:13 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Stopped reading at:
at least you CAN read, I just look at the pretty pics, thusly what's this thread about?
Old 03-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 729 Posts

This is my 13th Pcar. I have seen several versions of the same argument. I have moved when Porsche moved almost all of the times.
When water cooled cars were introduced they had a separate forum. When the 996 morphed to the 997 a separate forum.

These 2 cars the .1 and .2 are different in many ways the most notable Na vs FI. They deserve a separate forum not just to stop the petty bickering but because the issues and mods on the .2 will be different in many ways than the .1. This is not the same case as 997.1 and 997.2.

Give the. 2 folks their own forum and if turbo cars are the future for Porsche figure it out as new models are introduced. Aren't you all tired of the same old "whose got the biggest ___k" conversations.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

We certainly don't want the "turbo" people posting in the "Turbo" forum.

Oh the humanity!

Old 03-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

Nice write up.

The 991.1 to 991.2 change is incremental, save for the engine. But 911s are "progressing" in ways that are somewhat good (more power, more MPG, finally modern electronics) and somewhat bad (larger, too many electro-nannies, less tactile feel). You have to admit that over time (2-3 generations) the car has lost *some* of the things that made it special, but in any one purchase moment it is *the* iconic sports car and the best all around driving machine that can be used daily on street/track.

Each person needs to decide where they "dig in" to say more progress means losing too much of that special-ness, every person has their perspective on what defines that characteristic that evokes emotion for a machine. For me a manual 991.1 is (so far) that car - I don't need it faster or more of anything it offers. Really. Happiness is liking what you have, one of the few advantages of getting older

(now I do still want for a 981 Spyder and several other cool cars, and I am not ruling out a Turbo S in the future....)
Old 03-01-2017, 08:44 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

��������
Old 03-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

More power is always better. All other things equal, none of us would turn down more. I'm a noise and curves guy though. The only car that makes me contemplate getting rid of my car is the 360 Spider, which is way slower. If it had the reasonable daily driver potential to go with those hips and that noise, I probably would.

Quick Reply: I'm Here To End The .1 vs. .2 Arguments Once And For All...