Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are there holes in the steering column?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:40 AM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
That's one part I regret not getting wrapped by leather, but I agree with OP that's not acceptable. I will be visiting my dealer this upcoming week, see if I can find another car that has the same option and how it's done.
Please post what you find. My SA says every 911 with leather steering column have these unfinished holes (although sliced straiter than mine) - as if that makes it acceptable. Yet, other posters here say it's hit or miss -- some have them, some don't. What gives?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,114 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by babyjocko
Please post what you find. My SA says every 911 with leather steering column have these unfinished holes (although sliced straiter than mine) - as if that makes it acceptable. Yet, other posters here say it's hit or miss -- some have them, some don't. What gives?
First, glad this is getting resolved. Certainly unacceptable. Second, seems like Porsche makes the leather covers without the hole in hopes they never have to access the screw it hides, however, if they do have to access it, they leave it to the tech to cut the hole. Sounds crazy, and hard to believe, but seeing is believing!!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:26 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 117 Posts

What's amazing also is that they're not cut with a circular bit of some sort -- cored out rather than sorta square-cut with a flat blade. Who would even think to do that?
Old 02-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I mean, typically you'd make an X cut in the material, and glue the triangle shaped "flaps" onto the substrate. This is just hack job bull****. I'd be turbo-pissed.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:30 AM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

On my car, you have to look at it from the side to see the holes. They are mostly behind the steering wheel. The picture in the parts catalog does show the holes so it's not likely that ordering new covers will help. The covers on my car are not the original ones. They had to be ordered after I got the car because the covers that came with the car had the wrong color stitching. I have a GT3 and I'm not sure if other steering wheels do not cover the holes as well.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:58 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on this issue:

I opened a case regarding this issue with PCNA. After several weeks passed by, they said they left me a voice message regarding the status. I never received such message. When I called about the status, they told me that I have to have my dealer resolve this.

So, Porsche will not own this issue, which is obviously a manufacturing design issue.

While the case was opened, the dealer had ordered a replacement. The replacement had the same holes cut the same way. I asked why they couldn't just sliced each hole with an X and then fold back the corners. No answer to this obvious solution.

So, I will have my dealer try again. This time with a special request to have no holes at all. And if holes are required for installation, then I would finish the holes.

What a shame that Porsche will not pay attention to detail. Detail that is not rocket science to resolve at that.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:05 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,114 Likes on 665 Posts

That is really disappointing to hear, and honestly sux. Pay all that extra money for leather only to have some hack cut into it. Ugh!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why are there holes in the steering column?