Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Lock button on exterior door handle (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/973789-lock-button-on-exterior-door-handle.html)

Romantic911 02-03-2017 06:52 PM

Lock button on exterior door handle

Hello eveyones
I have a problem with my 991S 2013 , Lock button on exterior door handle won't lock the car , however passenger door lock button works fine.
It seems to me its the button on handle defective, is it easy to replace .. Can be accessed from outside?

P.s porshe entry& drive works fine opening door also fine

Romantic911 02-03-2017 06:55 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...4fa5b44de.jpeg

12v Nick 02-04-2017 12:29 AM

Looks like the part is fairly cheap but it will likely require full door disassembly for replacement. Technically the handle need to be painted, but you could just swap the electronic guts and use your original handle.

couple hours for a pro, day job for a rookie.

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/po...&position=left

Romantic911 02-05-2017 06:01 PM

Thanks very much .. Am thinking if I disassemble door interior .. I will get rattles noise which is another headache , So either i take a chance and replace it or live without this button

kayjh 02-06-2017 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Romantic911 (Post 13938034)
Thanks very much .. Am thinking if I disassemble door interior .. I will get rattles noise which is another headache , So either i take a chance and replace it or live without this button

If you put everything back exactly the way it came out you shouldn't have any rattles/ I'd check to see whether the interior door panel anchors are usually replaced once the panel is taken off. A body shop would be able to tell you. If the anchors are only designed to be compressed once during install and they don't hold tight after an R & R, you could get some unwanted noise.

12v Nick 02-06-2017 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by kayjh (Post 13939820)
If you put everything back exactly the way it came out you shouldn't have any rattles/ I'd check to see whether the interior door panel anchors are usually replaced once the panel is taken off. A body shop would be able to tell you. If the anchors are only designed to be compressed once during install and they don't hold tight after an R & R, you could get some unwanted noise.

Not really a problem on the 991. They switched to a slide-on mount over the snap-in from the 997. It's actually a really easy door to disassemble. I've never taken the handle out, but getting to the handle is going to be a breeze. PM me if you need some guidance – I've probably R&R'd those doors 40x by now.

Romantic911 08-13-2017 05:10 PM

When I decided to live with the faulty door lock button, I find out it is alive again
After car battery replacement , am not sure if that do A full reset to the system
Or battery current cause it to malfunction. -(Auto Start/Stop function alive again)
Case close.
It should be a service bulletin regarding this Issue

tkkhoo 12-02-2020 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Romantic911 (Post 13933952)
Hello eveyones
I have a problem with my 991S 2013 , Lock button on exterior door handle won't lock the car , however passenger door lock button works fine.
It seems to me its the button on handle defective, is it easy to replace .. Can be accessed from outside?

P.s porshe entry& drive works fine opening door also fine

A bit of a late entry- but I was wondering if this issue has been resolved or has recurred? Same thing happened to my 991 this week. Driver's side button does not work- passenger does. Duplicated with 2nd set of key so it does not appear to be a problem with the key fob, and from your description, I wonder if this is software rather than hardware.

Pittsburgh911 03-02-2021 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by tkkhoo (Post 17063749)
A bit of a late entry- but I was wondering if this issue has been resolved or has recurred? Same thing happened to my 991 this week. Driver's side button does not work- passenger does. Duplicated with 2nd set of key so it does not appear to be a problem with the key fob, and from your description, I wonder if this is software rather than hardware.

I'm having the same problem today (March 2, 2021) on my 2015 C4S Cabriolet. My battery died last week, so I had to unlock the door with the physical key, "jump" the fuse box connection to get the trunk open, and then charge the battery. Since doing that, the driver's side exterior lock button does not work. Has anyone solved this or know of a bulletin on it? Thanks.

OMTarga4S 03-02-2021 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Romantic911 (Post 13933964)

I really like the paint color on your 911, which is it ?

VII7 03-02-2021 03:22 PM

The wires to the handle break with time on the handle pivot point (not a great design), usually you can fix the wiring and add some strain relief, a replacement handle is fairly cheap but it will need to be painted.
There are other threads with more details.

GraSox 03-03-2021 11:37 AM

V117 is right. Had this happen on my ‘13 C2S last year. Mine wasn’t the wiring and ended up being the handle. Like he said comes primered and ya have to paint