Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 04:16 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Still no big complaints from my eyes, but I'd wonder if that spoiler could be prevented from opening at all but the highest speed- just horrible looking when it is deployed. As far as the hybrid and electric versions are concerned, you can't help but wondering what a dog the hybrid would be carrying around a gas and electrical components for motion. It would be true Porsche magic to make a hybrid worthy of driving fun. A pure electric IMO would be a different animal. Except for a big battery, a simpler powertrain would result in greater performance. For most of us, a 250 mile range would be plenty and the AWD version would be a slam dunk, not needing a central drive shaft, just another motor. I know this sounds like heresy, but if the 911 had to go hybrid or electric, I'd vote electric. For those of us who'd missed the engine noise, I hear you, maybe clothes pins and baseball cards in the wheels to make noise (who remembers that?).
Old 02-23-2018, 04:24 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Harsh. You know this isnt a final production car right? Virtually every car in the world will have some sort of screen. Not sure whats to hate? IMO.

Of course but as we inch closer to production my guess would be this is closer to the final version of the interior than not.

As a loving owner of a 991 I get the screen thing but there needs to be a line drawn. The 992 digital instrument cluster doesn't actually bother me that much. Porsche clusters have always been about driver information right in the immediate line of sight and I love using my 991's screen for the navigation info as it makes far more sense to have it right there .

So where does the line need to be drawn you ask ? I think having a center screen that's the same size as the lap top sitting above it is ridiculous and completely redundant seeing as the new digital cluster could display all same information right in front of the driver.

Having a TV screen in the dashboard is not the essence of a drivers car. It's the essence of a big body luxury car full of " wow gee wiz" like a BMW 5,7 series , Panamera etc.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:40 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by K-A
And I'm sorry, but that interior looks like a DISASTER. Hopefully it's all the crap in it, but I don't think it is. The architecture and placements are very apparent. It reminds me of some "80's robo-tech interior." Like trying to be futuristic whilst trying to retain a classic analogue approach. Coming off confused, too square, boxy, and certainly not sports-car-ish or "purity inspired." I don't care for overt screens as it is, certainly not in a 911, and I hate digital gauges that just look like pixelated and second rate versions of the classy authentic analogues we currently have.... but it's obvious that screen-central approach has massively sacrificed the rest of the interior. The passenger side of the dashboard is this massive slab of square plastic, and the A/C vents have to be the most nonsensical I've ever seen. The substitute to that would've been a horrendous "stick on screen" like M-B's distastefully comical approach, so they were damned if they did, damned if they didn't.

I feel the interior shows, for the first time perhaps in a 911, a lack of the coherency and laser focus on what the car *is* that Porsche have mastered above anyone. It looks more like a mismash of what it *wants you to think it is*, of which it can't make its mind up.

And WTF is that shifter? It looks like it belongs in a huge luxury sedan! And it's the least bit ergonomic. In fact, nothing in that interior looks user or driver focused. I use my center shifter often to manually shift, and love its feel and the "not a manual but still semi visceral" engagement it brings. This new.... "nub thing," certainly will give that up.
I can't disagree with a single word you have posted in this thread.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:27 PM
tommyboy214
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 02-23-2018, 05:36 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Still no big complaints from my eyes, but I'd wonder if that spoiler could be prevented from opening at all but the highest speed- just horrible looking when it is deployed. As far as the hybrid and electric versions are concerned, you can't help but wondering what a dog the hybrid would be carrying around a gas and electrical components for motion. It would be true Porsche magic to make a hybrid worthy of driving fun. A pure electric IMO would be a different animal. Except for a big battery, a simpler powertrain would result in greater performance. For most of us, a 250 mile range would be plenty and the AWD version would be a slam dunk, not needing a central drive shaft, just another motor. I know this sounds like heresy, but if the 911 had to go hybrid or electric, I'd vote electric. For those of us who'd missed the engine noise, I hear you, maybe clothes pins and baseball cards in the wheels to make noise (who remembers that?).
Spoiler goes up and down automatically. I've never seen it up on my car.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Stout, you're a journalist; answer me this one. Why is it that only conservatives (be it in matters automotive or political or religious) are "staunch" in their attitudes according to reporters? The word itself just means firmly devoted to an idea. It's a totally agnostic word. But I don't think I've ever heard of anyone described as "staunchly liberal in their thinking."

Staunch and its various derivatives is a good, solid word. It should be spread around more for all to enjoy.

Oh, and I don't care for any of these renderings, inside or out. Just like I didn't care for the 991 when I first saw it. Staunchly.
Haha, you scored! 😀
Old 02-23-2018, 07:07 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I just wish we could find some who are staunchly devoted to normally aspirated engines...
Scored again!
in my book NA rules.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:19 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Glad to know that the PDK nubbin or stick shift will be nice and cool when the AC is on. The position of the center air vents is odd, indeed. The only 992 I would consider getting is a GT3 (if it has an NA engine). After seeing this mule interior, even though a 992 GT3 will be more powerful than the 991.2 GT3, in many ways the 992 will be the inferior car due to the huge interior downgrade. I am a big fan of analog. I like the tactile experience of pushing a button. I like the five old school gauges in the dash. For me, anyway, the digital dashboard is not unexpected but it is most definitely unwanted. Not to mention the Cyclops cup holder, that weird beam that goes across the dash, and the nubbin, ahhh, the nubbin. Let's just say this nubbin gives nubbins a really bad name.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:23 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Old 02-23-2018, 07:58 PM
Highway2Hell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost looks like a VW Beetle from that angle!
Old 02-23-2018, 08:03 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Funny you say that. My initial reaction to the spy photos months ago were "damn, it looks like a beetle now". I think its a comination of the engine moving forward changing the pillar shape, the wider booty, and the way the nose is squared off takes away some of the front lines... drawing your eye to the bubble. I would hope the final details of the 992 make a difference in this department.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:41 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like the real deal to me. And given the Panny design cues, I'd say this is pretty much as expected.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Old 02-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

The 911 is going to be known as the shortened Panamera.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:11 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Funny you say that. My initial reaction to the spy photos months ago were "damn, it looks like a beetle now". I think its a comination of the engine moving forward changing the pillar shape, the wider booty, and the way the nose is squared off takes away some of the front lines... drawing your eye to the bubble. I would hope the final details of the 992 make a difference in this department.
It always bore a resemblance to the beetle. No surprise given the direct lineage.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE