Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 01-03-2018, 05:44 PM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Not sure if this has been mentioned

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...19-porsche-911

"The future 911 range, including the GT3, will exclusively use turbocharged six-cylinder engines, marking the end of naturally aspirated units for the line-up.

The GT3 will deliver more than 500bhp, while the standard models are set to get an extra 10-15bhp over today’s Carrera and Carrera S. The current Carrera and Carrera S deliver 364bhp and 414bhp respectively, so the 992-generation 911 will produce 375-429bhp."
Old 01-03-2018, 05:51 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Relax Chuck911. There is no air intake at the end of the tunnel! I do agree with you about the overall design of the 991. Like the early air cooled shell, it is the "pure thing" that is being adjusted. On the other hand the 992 flares (front and rear) are just the sort of adjusment I liked then too. And then there is the change in the shape of the frunk opening.There are detailes here for a porsche archeologist.
I would actually be less upset if there WAS an air intake there. At least then it would serve some function. Instead it is "just" for looks. Which of course they do a lot, and better far better than anyone else. I mean other cars are a joke. And sometimes they go a bit too far into form follows function at the expense of design aesthetics, and you get a 996. Which by no means am I in the camp of lampooning, any more than I am crapping on this next one. Just saying this is one thing I think they could do better. Which I do not get to do often, Porsche being as awesome as they are and all. Especially since, if I'm not mistaken, this is more of Mauer's work. What he did for the original 991 is one for the history books. Michaelangelo and Leonardo together would be hard pressed to improve upon such majesty.

For now I console myself with the thought that a mule being sterile cannot reproduce. That and knowing they hardly ever make a new one that doesn't look at least as good as the last one.

You seem to maybe have noticed the same thing I have, the way Porsche incrementally develops a chassis over time. They first come out fairly straight, then the fenders widen out, and finally about the time the fenders start giving guys wood they retire that generation and build another one with the whole body so wide the fenders shrink even as the track widens. Not sure how much longer they can keep that up. Driving lanes and parking spaces are not on that path, not to mention my garage, that's for sure.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:25 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane

Looks like the inspiration came from this West Coast Customs 356 build.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:30 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
... it looked a little too finished/integrated to me and is definitely larger then the little nub we have on the 991 series.
Hey....just because I drive a 991 doesn't mean you can stereotype me as having a little nub.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:30 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Name:  photo560.jpg
Views: 2557
Size:  851.9 KB
Old 01-03-2018, 06:32 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,163 Posts

Yeah, I just read that in AutoCar about the end of NA.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:36 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by 786

"The future 911 range, including the GT3, will exclusively use turbocharged six-cylinder engines, marking the end of naturally aspirated units for the line-up.

The GT3 will deliver more than 500bhp, while the standard models are set to get an extra 10-15bhp over today’s Carrera and Carrera S. The current Carrera and Carrera S deliver 364bhp and 414bhp respectively, so the 992-generation 911 will produce 375-429bhp."
there's a lot of speculation there....time is a changing
Old 01-03-2018, 07:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

The rear of that cab looks awful. Junk. In. The. Trunk.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:20 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
I like what I see so far.
Now, if Porsche released a limited non-GT NA trim, I'll line up and let them rob me.
Yes, yes, don't you all jump in at once...wishful thinking...
Yeah, my kingdom for a low weight NA powered "GT3" light,.....just like the T but with lets say a ~430HP 3.0 liter / 9K RPM screamer?
I can live without the additional torque of the turbo models. Keep the weight to exactly 3,000 lb any way possible. (even if it jacks the cost up)
Drool......and I would pay bucks for it, ain't goin' happen though
Old 01-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Yeah, I just read that in AutoCar about the end of NA.

Sad. I hoped they could hold back the tide another generation.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:22 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I don't know how I will feel about it yet - I think I need to see it without camo.

That being said, my biggest problem will be that the 991 shape is so freaking perfect to me. I liked the 997 (certainly better looking than either version of the 996) but the 991 shape...such a beautiful and classic shape. I was concerned that the 991.2 busied up such a clean perfect design with the .1 but over time the .2 has really grown on me (especially the tail lights). So maybe I will get used to the 992 shape as well. Don't know yet.
Agreed. Both 991’s look excellent, with the .1 imo taking a slight win due to how clean it is. The 991 architecture is perfection, which Porsche clearly recognizes as they aren’t messing with it too much. But it’ll be hard for the 992 to top it.

Originally Posted by 786

Sad news, but I’ve been prepared for it. Looks like I’m out for the 992 if that’s the case. On the other hand, if true, my car just became even more special to me.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:54 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I commented on the thread in the 991 GT3 side as well, but GT cars aside I think *if* the 992 goes hybrid it could actually be a good thing for the Carrera line up from a powertrain perspective *if* they can keep the weight down...I am really curious as we learn more about the 992

a hybrid/turbo ICE would work well where electric motor instant torque eliminates turbo lag then with as turbos kick in, it continues a linear, huge power delivery... a guy can dream but an F1 style engine (ala AMG Project One) with a mini KERS system, turbo charged 3.0L Flat six could be pretty cool

Hopefully that won't come at a cost of large weight gain and impacting the handling and feel of the 911. I trust Porsche to retain that unmistakeable 911 feeling even as they are evolving with reality
Old 01-04-2018, 04:46 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
It'll look cool, but MAN, the hips of the 991 C2 are already so wide. After having a bunch of wide 4 doors, one of my favorite aspects of the 911 is how compact it is. It fits excellently in parking spots (making it easy to provide ample room from the next car or cars). The one aspect of it that does already get too close for comfort in terms of width to the spots next to it are the hips. I can imagine getting even wider might start to sacrifice that "compact" feeling, at least in terms of width footprint.
Sorry for the long delay in replying,
This thread sure has moved along with lots of great new shots and info!

Although i agree with what you're saying...I think most don't look at those amazing wide body 930/993's and get overwhelmed with a feeling of how practical a car like that is to drive/park/live with ;-)
But I sure do get overwhelmed with a feeling of wowwww what a visually stunning car.

As such I think it would be great to be able to have the choice to purchase a wide body 992 model that is not designed to be practical in the sense that it takes into consideration such practical things as parking, narrow streets etc.
Those looking for that can buy the narrow body, so everyone's got something they like need.
Everything is perspective, drive a RR Ghost for a few days, it'll make the 991 feel like a boxter lol.
Even a Lambo or McLaren is much wider... hell I'm pretty sure even an R8 is wider.

I'm sure the days that people will have to go to the Cayman/boxter to get that smaller sports car feel are coming (if they haven't already arrived) only in na form though because that 4 pot fi engine is not doing anyone any favors.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:28 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 991
Sorry for the long delay in replying,
This thread sure has moved along with lots of great new shots and info!

Although i agree with what you're saying...I think most don't look at those amazing wide body 930/993's and get overwhelmed with a feeling of how practical a car like that is to drive/park/live with ;-)
But I sure do get overwhelmed with a feeling of wowwww what a visually stunning car.

As such I think it would be great to be able to have the choice to purchase a wide body 992 model that is not designed to be practical in the sense that it takes into consideration such practical things as parking, narrow streets etc.
Those looking for that can buy the narrow body, so everyone's got something they like need.
Everything is perspective, drive a RR Ghost for a few days, it'll make the 991 feel like a boxter lol.
Even a Lambo or McLaren is much wider... hell I'm pretty sure even an R8 is wider.

I'm sure the days that people will have to go to the Cayman/boxter to get that smaller sports car feel are coming (if they haven't already arrived) only in na form though because that 4 pot fi engine is not doing anyone any favors.
That's true, but I'm sure the 991's in narrowbody are wider than 993's in widebody.

I'm not opposed to wider rear fenders, though I think there's SOME limit to it. Those supercar-lites you name really FEEL wider than the 911 too, which I always found one of the benefits to the 911 (that it feels smaller and more nimble).
Old 01-04-2018, 07:14 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
That's true, but I'm sure the 991's in narrowbody are wider than 993's in widebody.

I'm not opposed to wider rear fenders, though I think there's SOME limit to it. Those supercar-lites you name really FEEL wider than the 911 too, which I always found one of the benefits to the 911 (that it feels smaller and more nimble).
Well that was food for thought.
Since I'm interested to know the answer as well (like a total car nerd) I actually looked it up.
Here's what i found...
993 turbo
1994-98 Coupé: 68.3 in (1,735 mm)
1994-95 Convertible: 69.9 in (1,775 mm)
1996-98 Convertible: 70.7 in (1,796 mm)

1,808 mm (71.2 in) (Carrera),
1,852 mm (72.9 in) (GT3)
1,880 mm (74.0 in) (Turbo),

So the delta between the 993 turbo (cabriolet is wider than the coupe... who knew) and a 991 Carrera is 12mm.
That's not that much really.
I think the biggest difference lies in how narrow the 993's were at the doors.
Love that "skinny waist and larger hips" voluptuous proportion.

Re; Lambo's, McLaren and even the AMG GT feeling wider... yes and no.
Their power to weight ratio and tech + lightweight materials and low profile/center of gravity makes 'em very "toss-able" and feel much smaller than they are.
That said, on the inside the above mentioned are actually shockingly tight.
Especially the McLaren's with their carbon tubs and crazy thick doors (although the SLS/AMG GT comes in a close 2nd).

I'm always amazed how much room I have in the 991, sure the higher roof-line is a big factor (I wish visually that wouldn't show as much) but you'd think that as "big" as the above mentioned cars are that there would be a synergy between the outside dimensions corresponding to the interior space.

Anyway I bought a 991.1 (for the 2nd time around) over a 991.2 especially because it's one of the last na's engines.
I think Porsche knows they need to give something extra (visually) in order to entice 911 na fans.
And I have to say, the new exterior design (993 sexy style with latests tech/comfort/power does make me think I'll probably buy a 992.
Then I see the inside... sigh... and think of the exhaust sound (although that I am 100% sure they'll find a way to fix, ala McLaren, even if it does add significant drone).

Exciting stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE