Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS Targa-- Front Axle Lifter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 12:06 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I had a 991S with PASM and never scraped, ever.

I have had two 991's (an S and now a GTS) with SPASM (10mm lower than PASM) and only scrape going out of my driveway, unless I take it at an angle.

Targas are PASM only, not SPASM, as others have mentioned. You probably don't need FAL. I didn't get one for my SPASM-equipped 911 and certainly wouldn't have needed it for a PASM-equipped 911.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:36 PM
trips
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 23 Posts

I find it a very convenient feature, having one 991 with it and one without. Both are lowered as well, I'd order it for any car I have moving forwards.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:08 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have it on mine and I'm glad I do. Some of the transitions I encounter in my area are pretty dramatic and I would definitely scrape the front spoiler if I didn't lift the front. It's very useful to have.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:46 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

delete

Last edited by SH2; 02-03-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:23 AM
Enen
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can FAL be added to a car that doesn't have it?
Old 02-03-2019, 05:39 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
My GT4 didn't come with FAL (wasn't an option). I was worried but I never needed it. Then, to play it safe, I specced my GT3 with FAL, as I thought it may be lower with a longer nose than the GT4. Again, I never needed it. Can't imagine I'll ever spec FAL again. It's a big deal among the GT3 guys for resale but I doubt half of them who have it ever use it but once in a while. With a little patience and good judgment, you can take most inclines at an angle with no problem at all.
Here’s what I posted in a related thread. I won’t ever spec FAL again. Don’t want the added cost, added weight or mechanical issues down the line.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:48 AM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

I can’t right comment, because I don’t have my car yet.

But I live in NJ. And I used to scrape my AMG GTS all the time. It was a wreck under there. My driveway is pretty flat, with a slight lip at the end. Scraped every time going in and out. It killed me just a little bit each and every time it happened.

Even if if I don’t need it, I’m glad I got it. Simply for the peace of mind.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:55 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Anyone that has it usually is happy they do and those who didn't spec it usually find the same reasons for not: Cost, Weight, another item to break.

Well, if cost is the issue then I suppose that applies to every single option Porsche offers. Weight is a non issue unless you track it and being back heavy to begin with any weight up front only helps IMO.
As far as breaking, well I have never heard of one breaking but, if it did it would be covered under warrantee so that is again a moot point.

I have it. I love it. I wouldn't spec another car without it. I use it every time I drive the car. For the ONE time you need it its worth it not to destroy your front spoiler.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:19 AM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Well, if cost is the issue then I suppose that applies to every single option Porsche offers. Weight is a non issue unless you track it and being back heavy to begin with any weight up front only helps IMO.
As far as breaking, well I have never heard of one breaking but, if it did it would be covered under warrantee so that is again a moot point.
There are several non-cost options. Among the cost options, some are more worth the cost than others. And, if necessary, front lip replacement is a mere $250. Additional weight is always an issue and certainly can affect driving dynamics on the road. Finally, several guys on the GT3 board have had problems with FAL (that’s where most FAL discussions on RL reside, of course, since GT cars sit the lowest). And warranties don’t last forever, unfortunately, so far from moot. Again, having had FAL myself, it’s an easy pass for me. Glad you’re getting good use out of yours.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:23 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

FORENN: Since you are on the GT3 board.. can you point me to a thread where any Porsche owner had to come out of pocket and pay for repair or replacement of their FAL?

If it fails it will usually fail right off the bat and the FAL is one of those parts that Porsche usually will replace even after warranty, provided you didnt do something foolish to break it.
Never heard of anyone getting a bill to replace or repair FAL from Porsche.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:43 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Old 02-03-2019, 10:48 AM
FORENN
Banned

FORENN: Since you are on the GT3 board.. can you point me to a thread where any Porsche owner had to come out of pocket and pay for repair or replacement of their FAL?

If it fails it will usually fail right off the bat and the FAL is one of those parts that Porsche usually will replace even after warranty, provided you didnt do something foolish to break it.
Never heard of anyone getting a bill to replace or repair FAL from Porsche.
Just did a quick search, here are a few of the threads that popped up. Please know that I'm not against OP getting FAL. And I'm genuinely happy you're using and enjoying yours. But ticking the FAL box is not a no-brainer imo and I do think it is helpful to OP and others to consider different perspectives. This will be my last post on the topic, so please feel free to have the last word. And to the OP, congrats on your Targa and good luck!

GT3 Forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...n-problem.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...lfunction.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...functions.html

Turbo Forum:

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...t-problem.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...-problems.html

991 Forum:

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1100...t-problem.html
Old 02-03-2019, 10:53 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

1. Nothing mentioned about paying
2. Pump failed in 2014 and replaced under warranty
3. Nothing mentioned about paying and consensus was regarding 997 models. NO 991 FAL failures reported
4. Preowned car, covered under warranty. No cost to owner
5. Recall on a part that was covered under warranty by Porsche. No cost to owner
6. same link twice
7. Turned car off then back on and error went away. No failure, never happened again. Glitch

So, again I ask for a single owner of a 991 who has had FAL failure to come forward and let us know if you had to pay for anything out of pocket.
NOTHING linked above indicates that anyone with a 991 or a 997 ever had to pay for FAL replacement or repair and 991 models had redesigned FAL making them much more reliable.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:59 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I would like to add my own experience..

Every time I get the car put on a dyno it gets strapped down front and rear and run hard.
And every time I drive home I get a FAL error saying "FAL fault requires service"
However, every time I turn the car off and back on the error resets and doesn't come back until the next time its strapped down for testing.

In short, many of these annoying errors and bugs just reset themselves after you turn the car on and off. In my case I now know its from the car being strapped down, but it just resets the message.
Nothing wrong with the FAL or requiring any service.
AGAIN. I am a big fan of FAL and think its a wonderful option especially on speed bumps, steep inclines/driveways or in case something gets wedged under the car/spoiler.
In the above links, one guy mentioned running over a sneaker and using FAL to get the car up in order to get the sneaker out..
Old 02-03-2019, 11:03 AM
FORENN
Banned

1. Nothing mentioned about paying
2. Pump failed in 2014 and replaced under warranty
3. Nothing mentioned about paying and consensus was regarding 997 models. NO 991 FAL failures reported
4. Preowned car, covered under warranty. No cost to owner
5. Recall on a part that was covered under warranty by Porsche. No cost to owner
6. same link twice
7. Turned car off then back on and error went away. No failure, never happened again. Glitch

So, again I ask for a single owner of a 991 who has had FAL failure to come forward and let us know if you had to pay for anything out of pocket.
NOTHING linked above indicates that anyone with a 991 or a 997 ever had to pay for FAL replacement or repair and 991 models had redesigned FAL making them much more reliable.
It is tough to do all of this on my phone (and, admittedly, several of us are out getting coffee before a long mountain drive, and paying full attention to this thread has been difficult). I didn't catch the part where you asked for examples of out-of-pocket expenses for FAL failures. My search was only for the 991 and, of course, it's too early to know for most 991s (still have live warranties) and all 991 GT3s and other GT#s (GT3 RS/GT2 RS), for which FAL is most often specced. Even the 2014 GT3 is still under full warranty because of Robmypro and others' great work. Anyway, thought I'd add this comment since I did miss the part about out-of-pocket examples. I hope you're right and any FAL problems that arise are resolved early and under warranty.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS Targa-- Front Axle Lifter?