Sponsored by:

Glass Sunroof/Solid Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:52 AM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Thanks for the input guys> I appreciate the hand holding. It is the last option I have to decide on, everything else is set, unless you think I am missing something. My build is here:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PHV8XTS1
solid build. I may have missed the whole story behind your build, but I for kicks built a 991.2 S with power kit, full leather, and a bunch of other options at a bit less msrp in the 135k range than yours http://www.porsche-code.com/PHWW16L1

just something else to ponder. I realize it's a 2s, but as someone that has driven a 2wd Porsche in chicago year around for almost 7 years, a 2s with winter tires will do just fine .

Also If resale is important to you, not sure you'll get back the cost of your options at a reasonable rate.

Just 2 cents from a random internet person. Congrats on your purchase!
Old 01-21-2017, 11:55 AM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for some reason, I fell in love with this pics....

Buy what makes you happy at the end of the day. You'll be driving it...not us.
Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
+1
+2
Old 01-21-2017, 12:22 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
I'm in the other camp. I chose a solid sunroof because I like the continuous painted roof line which carries the swooping lines of the car without interruption. No regrets at all! I have a rhodium silver car. If I had a black car I might have considered glass. But really, you can't go wrong!
I prefer that also. But, I also prefer a glass roof. So, since the parts other than the actual glass is just painted black, why didn't Porsche offer the option to maintain body color on those parts along with the glass? I think they should have. That would be the best of both worlds.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:26 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Prefer steel sunroof for lighter colored cars.

The 911 is a small, low canvas and the contrast IMHO is a bit much with the glass roof. Highly subjective of course.

Nothing wrong if you like the look and want the roof to be a dominant feature.

The great thing about the 991 is that it's such a fantastic design that it looks great with or without, and from most any angle.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
I'm in the other camp. I chose a solid sunroof because I like the continuous painted roof line which carries the swooping lines of the car without interruption. No regrets at all! I have a rhodium silver car. If I had a black car I might have considered glass. But really, you can't go wrong!
Correct. You can't go wrong. Glass roof, steel roof, no sunroof. Whatever makes you happy!
Old 01-21-2017, 02:00 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
The scrim on the glass does a pretty good job of diminishing the light. If it's raining you can open the scrim and add some light without getting wet. Since it opens the same amount (not much to me) as the steel sunroof and I were ordering another coupe, I would get the glass again. More options for +$500.
Yes, good to know. But that still doesn't change the fact that the glass roof is not Sapphire Blue like the rest of the body!
Old 01-21-2017, 02:05 PM
bossboy302
Advanced

Originally Posted by Need4S
Yes, good to know. But that still doesn't change the fact that the glass roof is not Sapphire Blue like the rest of the body!
Wow, that's a constructive statement....
Old 01-21-2017, 04:37 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

I think I'll leave it sold. I think if I were to get a darker colour car I'd go glass though. I sat in a car on a cloudy day with a glass sunroof and the shade closed. I didn't find it too dark although it does lighten up obviously with the shade open. When I look at my current car, (BMW 535) I have maybe used the sunroof a dozen times in 39 months an the shade less. Maybe it would be different in the Porsche??

As to a leather interior, it looks a bit richer and smells better but in the end, I think the base interior is very nice as well. And it isn't a straight swap from RS wheels to leather. It pushes the cost up by more than $2,000, so now this is getting closer to $140,000.

As to stripping the car down a bit on options and just getting a C2S, it doesn't really work out that way. IN Canada, once you add the sport package ($7,000+), PDK, sunroof, etc. you are above $140,000. I don't seem to want a car without the options I've chosen for my build any less on the C2S. In addition, I took a 30 minute test drive in a C2 when I was in Toronto last summer and I thought the base car had more than enough power. But who knows, after I get used to it, maybe I'll want more. Perhaps, 2 years down the road.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:49 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Just ordered one in white WITHOUT glass sunroof. IMO it ruins the lines and is something you'd get on a Corvette or a Camaro- gimmicky ka-ka. So I respectfully disagree.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:45 PM
bossboy302
Advanced

Is your gal a redhead?
Mines a brunette.
His is blonde.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:47 PM
bossboy302
Advanced

Originally Posted by George from MD
... is something you'd get on a Corvette or a Camaro- gimmicky ka-ka. So I respectfully disagree.

"gimmicky ka-ka"?

Where's the 'respectfully' part of that?
Old 01-23-2017, 02:05 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I like the glass.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:03 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by MinMay
for some reason, I fell in love with this pics....

Buy what makes you happy at the end of the day. You'll be driving it...not us.
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...15184617_1.jpg

I don't have photoshop, but what would really be helpful would be if someone could take the picture in this post and photoshop the roof to solid white and then repost it on top of the same car with the glass roof. The larger the picture size the better. That will make an easy A to B comparison. Anyone have the program an the skills to give it a try?
Old 01-23-2017, 08:55 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,203 Likes on 2,715 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...15184617_1.jpg

I don't have photoshop, but what would really be helpful would be if someone could take the picture in this post and photoshop the roof to solid white and then repost it on top of the same car with the glass roof. The larger the picture size the better. That will make an easy A to B comparison. Anyone have the program an the skills to give it a try?
Just use the configurator. Take screen captures.

Dark contrasting roofs have been a thing for a while, so there is nothing weird about it. Looks sporty, IMO.

Quick Reply: Glass Sunroof/Solid Sunroof