Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The most unbelievable dilemma. 991 vs.... Gelandewagen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 02:31 PM
wsjchoi
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You need both, I wouldn't drive either car as a daily (city driving, weather conditions, or too much attention depending on neighborhoods) of course, all that depends on where you live and drive
Old 04-27-2017, 02:51 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Porque no los dos?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:41 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Check out Mastadon4x4.com
Old 04-27-2017, 10:35 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both. PM any questions.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:31 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the2thdr
Have to agree with one of the other remembers who suggested that this will likely come down to more of a consideration of what you need the vehicle to do. In the absence of owning another car that can hold more people and help to transport shopping, etc, the 911 may not be the right vehicle.

When it comes to an SUV, for such purposes, the G is really nice. Is it great? I don't think so. The one thing it does have going for it is that it does hold its value. However, with the refresh coming, I think you may underestimate how much value you may lose. IMHO, when model changes/refreshes occur, you tend to notice a drop in retained value. YMMV on that point.

I had a 991.1 Carrera 4 GTS that I foolishly traded in on a different vehicle (Range Rover SVR). Biggest mistake I ever made. Having said that, about 6 months later I purchased a new G63 which I am currently driving. Do I like it? Yes, in it's own way. I love the look of it when I walk up to it. I like the exhaust rumble. Fuel economy is actually pretty decent for a vehicle that I drive hard, returning abut 260miles per tank. Fit and finish is excellent and the vehicle is solid. But, it sucks in handling. It drives like a truck (to be expected), but in a way that just grates on you over time. The seats are beyond reproach. Amazingly comfortable. The boot can hold A LOT, given the low load floor. HVAC in not the best, pretty crappy to be honest. Seat heaters are the worst in the business. In -20C weather here, I won't feel warm in the car for about 20min. No heated steering wheel (I have the AMG performance wheel).

So, why the post? I am returning mine to the dealer in a short while and making the move back to Porsche. Either a 991.2 C4 GTS, or if the dealer is able to provide an allotment to me...a 991.2 GT3.

I would really consider what you need out of the vehicle. I have the benefit of having a 2016 X5M which my wife drives and so I have access to that to do big trips to Costco or to transport a snow blower to one of our other properties. Personally, I think the X5M is one of the most complete SUV's I have ever driven. It hauls, handles exceedingly well, not a single problem thus far in over 1 year (20K miles in 1 year).

Retained values? Not sure I would peg a car purchase on that. It is nice, but on such older vehicles, I am not sure that it will return what you may project.

Best of luck with your decision.

Just curious, what year is your G wagon?
Old 04-28-2017, 01:25 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

For the last 20+ years I've always had both a capable off-road SUV and a Porsche sportscar (all 911s and Turbos except one Boxster S.) None of them have been G-Class, but I'm familiar with them.

To me anyone with the means and the space ought to indulge in 5 vehicles in his fleet. All five roles can be covered for the price of a new 911 if one doesn't want to spend mega-bucks.

1) Porsche sportscar
2) Serious off-road capable SUV (Wrangler, Landy, old Land Cruiser, G-wagon, FJ Cruiser) Mine's a 2014 Wrangler currently. Built within an inch of its life (more in it aftermarket than the $25k I paid for it new.)
3) Beater pickup (not necessary if you live in the city, but c'mon, guys like pickups. Mine's a 149,000-mile 1994 S15 compact owned since new)
4) Big vintage cruiser of some sort. Mine's a 68 Cadillac convertible. But I'll allow for a substitute vintage Euro sportscar or cruiser in this spot. A Mercedes cabriolet of 60s/70s vintage would do nicely.
5) Wifemobile of some sort, whatever she wants, provided it can be the people-hauler when you go to the beach, etc. as none of the above work very well for that purpose.

I'm in Moab UT for two weeks with the Jeep. There's something life-affirming about using these things as they ought to be used.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:43 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Each have their purpose! I suggest a land cruiser or Trd pro. I hunt so having the SUV as my base camp is invaluable, however, I have regeared her so the Trd pro is our road trip vehicle. It all depends how seriously you need each type of vehicle. We did not need the pcar.
Attached Images   
Old 04-28-2017, 06:17 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

When faced with the exact same dilemma, I went with the most sensible possible outcome.

Quick Reply: The most unbelievable dilemma. 991 vs.... Gelandewagen?