Sponsored by:

The Agony and Ecstasy of Waiting

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts
Default The Agony and Ecstasy of Waiting

This post is just about the experience of waiting for an order to be fulfilled -- not about the process, which I understand, or the details, which are readily available, but, frankly, about the emotional experience of waiting while being immersed in an active forum with lots of chatter going on about all kinds of relevant stuff. In all the years I've owned cars, and I've owned many of them, I've ordered from the factory only twice, and the last time was over 30 years ago, when there was no internet, and none of the constant flood of information, pics and opinions while I waited. (Both of the vettes I've owned were bought from dealer stock and the 2nd one, which I have now, had everything I wanted.)

I placed my order for a Turbo S at the start of November, with projected delivery date at the end of April; my lock date is Feb. 1 but I've been told that may happen a little sooner. I love the anticipation of it, and it's truly exciting, but I also experience angst over it, not about the waiting, but about the thoughts of options and choices made and whether or not to make a change. More times than I can count, I've gone back and forth about the content of my build after I placed the order, including: color (night blue, as ordered, but flirted many times with graphite blue and yellow and orange and mahogany); basic trim (coupe, as ordered, or cab); interior colors (black/beige, as ordered, or espresso/cognac or red or gray or....); taillights (tinted or clear); Alcantara GT steering wheel and gearshift, as ordered, or mahogany, or standard; basic limited leather, as ordered, or tons of leather; local delivery (as ordered) or Atlanta; and many more. Several times, I've visited my dealer to see what certain things looked like, sometimes having to see it in a Cayman or an SUV because they didn't have it in a 911. In every case except one (I switched from clear to tinted taillights early on), I wound up returning to my original configuration, leaving it as is, with a feeling of relief.

Now, of course, I expect that, right after my order locks, I'm going to see or hear something that makes me second-guess myself again!

By sharing this, I'm not asking anyone to fix it for me; the experience is well worth it. Rather, I'm just offering up my experience in the hope that others will chime in about what your experience has been or was like. I'd love to hear it!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:37 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Secured a changeable .1 GTS allocation in August 2015. Locked the customized order in October 2015. Picked up the car through the Euro Delivery program in late July 2016. (Yes, a full year later.) Received the car stateside about 6 weeks later.

The wait was brutal but well worth it
Old 01-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Lol

Exactly why every time I order a car, I end up buying one off the lot before I take delivery

Painful
Old 01-16-2017, 10:07 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,202 Likes on 2,715 Posts

When I ordered my GT4, I changed the color about 10 different times. I changed it from GT Silver to Carmine while it was in the freeze period, which was a 50/50 shot. I ate myself up trying to figure out what color to get.

With the Turbo, I've been pretty much settled on JBM from the get-go. I've added on a couple of things over the past few weeks, but I'm largely settled. Don't see myself changing much, though there are tons more customizable options available relative to the GT4.

Maybe it gets easier the more often you do it.

Car locks in March with May delivery. 4 frickin months. That part is not fun and does take a bit of the buzz away. I'm hoping it locks and builds early. Was going to do PEC delivery but I'm hearing a 4-6 week after it hits port.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:15 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Ordered a 991.2 C2s in October 2015 and took delivery in May 2016. This was my first sports car, first Porsche, and first custom order, so all was pretty new and exciting. I had a lot of fun tracking the ship across the Atlantic and through the Panama Canal. When the big day arrived we drove to the dealership and they had a bunch of teenage kids working hard polishing the inside of the car in the middle of the showroom to get it spotless. The car was gorgeous and my wife and I just really enjoyed the whole scene. Usually a new car is nice but mostly cars for us are just something my wife will like while I have fun on motorcycles. The 911 was much different and we made a point to soak in that feeling of taking delivery of such a special vehicle. The great part about a 911 is that there is a lot of hype and buildup that the dealer does about the car, but the car totally lives up to it's reputation. So I really have good memories of that whole experience.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:58 AM
BOCO
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Just Placed an order for 911 GTS. If I'm lucky, I will get a April build allocation with a June delivery. The good, I have plenty of time to make changes, the bad, the wait will be excruciating. I can totally relate to the OP. I'm sure my configuration will change many times before it locks.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:27 AM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OP, I'm totally with you. The fear of regret (in terms of configuration) is overshadowing the experience a bit. In my case, there is also a very strict budget. So anything I wanted to add, would have to come at another option's expense. I tried to make a very spartan build, but of course things got a little out of hand (as expected) in the comfort department (18 way seats, ACC and so on). My biggest gamble is the color I chose (guards red), because I will always have to see it. With so many great colors to choose from, and waking up every morning with a different idea, it seemed like I cannot win this dilemma.
My order has locked already so no more bets.....
I still have a solid 2+ months wait ahead and it's agony. To make things worse, I already traded in my fun BMW (I got a better deal this way). When I ordered the 911, I told myself, I'm not even going to think about it until it's ready, but the exact opposite is happening. I'm looking at forums and youtube and everything 911 related all the time.
Everybody says the car will totally live up to the anticipation. I really hope it will wow me!
(BMW certainly did, their brand marketing and delivery magic is top-notch, I remember my excitement and joy for weeks/months after delivery. The 911 drives better, so...here's hoping!)
Old 01-17-2017, 10:55 AM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

New here, been lurking for the past couple of weeks while trying to make a decision on a new S or GTS.

Now I am in the same boat, ordered my GTS this weekend and just got confirmation yesterday from my dealer that it will be here May 19th. My wife said my face dropped after the excitement of going through the order, signing and then our SA saying it would be late May early June.

Once the car build starts March 31st it only takes about a week to complete and get sent to the docks, where it sits for three weeks. Shipping is two weeks, once it hits the dock in RI it takes about a week to get to the dealer in MA. I am hoping it could get on an earlier boat, but just wishful thinking…

Test drove a well spec’d S before I finalized and completely loved it, coming from a Cayman S it was a different experience and just cannot wait, it’s going to be an excruciating four months.
I thought I was locked in on all the options but after the drive with the glass sunroof I cannot decide if I should get it. I really liked the extra light and the feeling of a more open cabin from the inside but not sure I like the all black roof on sapphire blue with all the other black bits, might be a bit much?

Also debating the seats, I think I’m okay with the 4 way sport plus but could never get quite comfortable in the Cayman with manual seats but I think mainly due to legroom, I’m 6’-2” and it just wouldn’t go quite far enough back for me. I did sit in the 4 way sport plus seats but in a Cayman so couldn’t get quite the feel for them. Anyway got a couple of months before the build locks. I will just have to try and forget about it for a while otherwise I might go crazy!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

I've had a deposit on the new GT3 with the dealer since 4/16. I may get to order by the end of this year.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BOCO
Just Placed an order for 911 GTS. If I'm lucky, I will get a April build allocation with a June delivery. The good, I have plenty of time to make changes, the bad, the wait will be excruciating. I can totally relate to the OP. I'm sure my configuration will change many times before it locks.
I had to make sure I didn't write this! My situation exactly
Old 01-17-2017, 01:25 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear you. Came to see the build process as kind of a meditation upon the self. As in what do I really, truly want from my car?

Maddest day: Driving back and forth between the three London showrooms looking at GTS silver interior pack vs GTS red and then deciding I wanted black.

Stroke of luck: Due to my checking and rechecking the configurator like a lunatic I saw that LED headlights in black had become available and got to add them to my order.

Stupidest thing: Second guessing myself. Ordered the car with standard seatbelts then took delivery and wished I'd got yellow ones to match the brakes (I know, I know). Ordered yellow belts at fantastic expense then decided I didn't like them. So yeah if there's anyone who has an RHD 991 Cab and wants a set of yellow belts at a heavy discount PM me!

The waiting was painful but so worth it. I've done 18,000 miles in the car now and honestly feel I love it more every time I take it out.

And for what it's worth I think Night Blue is just about the perfect colour for a Turbo so don't change it.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:41 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

AviBen - if you don't mind, please put the link to your build - would love to see it. If I ordered a Turbo S I would go with your exact same exterior/interior combo.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:06 PM
trice9
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlee
New here, been lurking for the past couple of weeks while trying to make a decision on a new S or GTS.

Now I am in the same boat, ordered my GTS this weekend and just got confirmation yesterday from my dealer that it will be here May 19th. My wife said my face dropped after the excitement of going through the order, signing and then our SA saying it would be late May early June.

Once the car build starts March 31st it only takes about a week to complete and get sent to the docks, where it sits for three weeks. Shipping is two weeks, once it hits the dock in RI it takes about a week to get to the dealer in MA. I am hoping it could get on an earlier boat, but just wishful thinking…
there are a lot of variables in that schedule. once the build starts, the sa can send you the updated schedule. it actually only takes about 3 days to build. it can sit at the emden port for 3 hours or 3 weeks. this is the biggest variable and a little luck helps. all depends when the next boat leaves after your car arrives. Then takes 11-12 days to get to davisville. will stay there for 1-5 days before heading to your dealer. most folks get their cars before the originally scheduled date (was the case with both times i ordered), assuming the build date stays the same (lots of cushion in the schedule).
Old 01-17-2017, 02:17 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlee
Now I am in the same boat, ordered my GTS this weekend and just got confirmation yesterday from my dealer that it will be here May 19th.
I'm also in the same boat, maybe almost literally, as my estimated delivery is also May 19th (same build date too). If it's any consolation I ordered my car on October 14th. I'm hoping I get the car early, ideally late April.

The wait is agonizing.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:44 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1
AviBen - if you don't mind, please put the link to your build - would love to see it. If I ordered a Turbo S I would go with your exact same exterior/interior combo.
My build code is PHXDSMV6. The only thing I changed from what's in that build is that I switched to tinted taillights.

Quick Reply: The Agony and Ecstasy of Waiting