Sponsored by:

Albins ring and pinion for the 991 7-speed manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 02:08 AM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Albins ring and pinion for the 991 7-speed manual transmission

I've seen some people ask about re-gearing the 991 7-speed manual transmission and, having done this with my 993 G50/20 gearbox, reached out to Albins to see if they had plans to offer 991 components. They have no products to offer at the moment, *but* would consider production if they had at least 10 people committed. This would be for a ring and pinion that would shorten the transmission's final drive. The gaps between gears wouldn't change but the top speed at redline in each gear would be lower. You'd be cruising in 7th on the freeway at a slightly higher RPM.

For the ring and pinion, they're estimating a cost of $2000 AUD — $3000 AUD, roughly $1500 — $2250 USD. The details of the actual ratio hasn't been discussed at all, but we'd be able to figure out the ideal size to improve acceleration but not kill fuel economy.

This likely won't work with a PDK given the needs for software changes and recalibrating shift points and such, unless you just ignore all of that?

The increased torque and power output of the 3.0L twin-turbo probably doesn't warrant shorter gears (even though it seems like they got taller with the .2 variant?), but I've always found it more engaging to be rowing through the gears more often. This won't be for everyone but let me know if you're interested and I'll report back to Albins!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:03 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

*shameful bump*
Old 01-15-2017, 12:29 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

If I were going to keep my car I would jump on this. I have no need for 190mph top speed and would prefer the shorter gearing.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:01 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

interested.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:34 AM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I am interested as well.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
If I were going to keep my car I would jump on this. I have no need for 190mph top speed and would prefer the shorter gearing.
Shouldn't hurt top speed (depending on ratio chosen). 7th gear is currently too tall to achieve top speed anyways (it's achieved in 6th stock). My only concern is that any significant change in the ratio (that would make 7th a real performance gear) is going to make 1st gear virtually unusable...

You may also want to confirm that the R&P change won't interfere with the Rev Matching optional function of the car...
Old 01-18-2017, 01:58 AM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Yeah, these are great details to need to work out with Albins if we get enough people on board!

Guys who have expressed interest, thanks!
Old 01-18-2017, 11:38 AM
NeoGeo07
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To OP: This is a GREAT idea and I'd be ALL OVER this! If there's one thing that would make the 991 series more sporty and fun to drive, it'll be the final gear. Chris Harris who absolutely loved the GT3 and GT4, even said that he wished for a shorter gear ratio.

However, as much as I wish this to come true (hell I'd pay 2x as much for this if it's proven to work), I'm afraid you have a big hill to climb:

1. Guard transmission which makes a lot of race spec gears for Porsche, has came out said directly that there's no easy way to do this, and they have not considered it.

2. Sharkwerks wanted to do the same for the GT4 but gave up, stating that it's too complicated and instead went with custom gear ratio sets. They actually got the gears from Guard, and basically said it's actually cheaper to change the individual gears than the final drive. They did a great video on Onetake:

I applaud your effort and I'd be first in line for this, but I'm not holding my breath on this one. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Albins ring and pinion for the 991 7-speed manual transmission