Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 S vs 991.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 11:25 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the 991.2 S is a great car. So much power from a S model!

the 991.2 GTS with additional 30hp and wide body is really cool.

Personally, Id be looking at CPO 991.1 Turbos before buying any of the above new cars.

Center locks suck FWIW.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:23 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I can't justify it at these prices. I went for it with a 997.2 GTS Cab, and I was going to keep it forever. But lo and behold, the same dumbasses out there that can plow into your Taurus can also plow into your $150,000 ride. And it's never the same again, and you've lost your *** in resale. At 0-60 in the low 4s, if I do another 911 cab it's going to be a base model. What do I need a Cab to accelerate to 60 in 3 seconds for? Maybe I could go to the local dragstrip and beat up on some Camaros. In my Porsche GTS Cab. The only way I'd buy one is if I couldn't get a GT3 manual, and I had my heart set on a performance 911 for the track, I'd do a coupe in a performance build.
But right now I'm pretty happy with my 981 Spyder. At least I will be, I think, once the new tires will be put on. That will balance, I hope. And not vibrate. Like the originals did. From the dealer, because it sat in a warehouse for 6 months.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:28 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
I can't justify it at these prices. I went for it with a 997.2 GTS Cab, and I was going to keep it forever. But lo and behold, the same dumbasses out there that can plow into your Taurus can also plow into your $150,000 ride. And it's never the same again, and you've lost your *** in resale. At 0-60 in the low 4s, if I do another 911 cab it's going to be a base model. What do I need a Cab to accelerate to 60 in 3 seconds for? Maybe I could go to the local dragstrip and beat up on some Camaros. In my Porsche GTS Cab. The only way I'd buy one is if I couldn't get a GT3 manual, and I had my heart set on a performance 911 for the track, I'd do a coupe in a performance build.
But right now I'm pretty happy with my 981 Spyder. At least I will be, I think, once the new tires will be put on. That will balance, I hope. And not vibrate. Like the originals did. From the dealer, because it sat in a warehouse for 6 months.
Man that sucks. I don't blame you for feeling burned.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:04 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
I'm noticing my 991.1 GTS value holding strong as the pricing reality of the 991.2 GTS is clearly higher than expected when all added options pile up. This model is getting quite close to TT pricing.
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
How are you noticing this? Have you listed your car for sale? And received offers both before and after the announcement of the 991.2 GTS?
No, not selling. I'm just noticing that there may be less demand for the .2 GTS than everyone was expecting due to the high price.

Those who are in the market for a .2 GTS may find them not worth it or out of reach financially and may look to acquire a used .1 GTS to scratch that pesky GTS itch. More demand should keep prices strong in the used market. Maybe ddc4d.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:35 AM
theaudir8fan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Yes. I just built one with leather and noticed the black brushed aluminum. I think it looks great.

The problem now is that I have built my "dream" GTS and it comes in under $145,000 and I've almost talked myself into it rather than an S for about $8-$10 G less.
I'm in a similar position, my current order for a 4S Cab is on the list for Feb production and end of April delivery, I'm seriously wondering if it will be worth switching to a GTS, but really finding it hard to justify the price increase. And I'm after full leather since I want seat cooling in a Cab with black interior, so the GTS interior package is out of the consideration. Also as of right now there is no official word on when the first batch of production is going to be allocated, and I'm in canada where allocation is hard to get, not only did no one gave me a discount, i had the order in mid Aug
Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I can only speak from 991.1 land, but I love the rwd-widebody combo on my GTS.
ditto
Old 01-11-2017, 08:11 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

I'm working with my dealer for a trade in of my 2017 c2s for a new gts. I found by c2s as a cpo and it doesn't have rear wheel steering which I find to be huge in terms of handling, so between that, the beautiful wider hips, horsepower and potential for pts I think it's worth it.

I am worried about the turbo lag being more noticeable, they did a good job on the c2s.

I think 991.1 gts prices have been pretty inflated with a lot of die hard n/a folks seeking them out. I was one of them, gave in and now have no regrets. The extra torque is amazing and very useful in daily driving.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

450 HP? Big deal. My 14 Shelby has 662 HP from factory. The new ZL1 has a Z06 engine with 650 HP. HP is cheap nowadays. The GTS is an amazing car, I'm sure, but $150,000?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by theaudir8fan
I'm in a similar position, my current order for a 4S Cab is on the list for Feb production and end of April delivery, I'm seriously wondering if it will be worth switching to a GTS, but really finding it hard to justify the price increase. And I'm after full leather since I want seat cooling in a Cab with black interior, so the GTS interior package is out of the consideration. Also as of right now there is no official word on when the first batch of production is going to be allocated, and I'm in canada where allocation is hard to get, not only did no one gave me a discount, i had the order in mid Aug
It's always about justifying the cost with a Porsche. Can I justify $50-60G for a 20 year old car? Can I justify $90 G for a new base C? Can I justify $7 for PTS? And so it goes. When I started this journey a couple of years ago I was in a $23 G 996, now a $90G 991. Was looking to order a $127G 991.2S but now I'm looking at a $145G GTS.

And at that price I know some will tell me to go ahead and get a Turbo.

Anyway when I look at the two cars side by side S vs GTS for the extra $8G or so the GTS will give me 30 more HP, CL wheels, Wider Hips with a slightly different look, gloss black exhaust tips and GTS "exclusivity" if you will.

Forgetting about the wider rear end, it would cost way more than that to add / change those things to an S so it actually might be "worth" it.

However, the $127G S I have configured is still a bad a$$ car and it leave me enough cash to buy a second DD if I want. Or a new kitchen for the wife, or a couple of bathrooms, or ........

Old 01-11-2017, 10:28 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

450 HP? Big deal. My 14 Shelby has 662 HP from factory. The new ZL1 has a Z06 engine with 650 HP. HP is cheap nowadays. The GTS is an amazing car, I'm sure, but $150,000?
Yeah but you're still stuck driving a Mustang or a Corvette.

LOL

Cheap shot but I saw an opening and I had to take it. I had a Mustang and loved it. I'll be the first to admit that the times I have driven or ridden in Corvettes they were scary fast.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

It's always about justifying the cost with a Porsche. Can I justify $50-60G for a 20 year old car? Can I justify $90 G for a new base C? Can I justify $7 for PTS? And so it goes. When I started this journey a couple of years ago I was in a $23 G 996, now a $90G 991. Was looking to order a $127G 991.2S but now I'm looking at a $145G GTS.

And at that price I know some will tell me to go ahead and get a Turbo.

Anyway when I look at the two cars side by side S vs GTS for the extra $8G or so the GTS will give me 30 more HP, CL wheels, Wider Hips with a slightly different look, gloss black exhaust tips and GTS "exclusivity" if you will.

Forgetting about the wider rear end, it would cost way more than that to add / change those things to an S so it actually might be "worth" it.

However, the $127G S I have configured is still a bad a$$ car and it leave me enough cash to buy a second DD if I want. Or a new kitchen for the wife, or a couple of bathrooms, or ........

Let's be honest - the smart money move is NOT buying a Porsche. I think value and logic should play a role - but it should be lower on the list than pure want.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Yeah but you're still stuck driving a Mustang or a Corvette.

LOL

Cheap shot but I saw an opening and I had to take it. I had a Mustang and loved it. I'll be the first to admit that the times I have driven or ridden in Corvettes they were scary fast.
stuck,? I don't know, the Shelby is pretty much of a hoot. For hooning, I don't know that there's any better car. On the other hand, my GTS was beautiful, but it had a few little issues, the last of which was that it was run into you by a woman in a Subaru, the repair shop did a s***** job fixing it, and it drove me nuts that I was driving a $140,000 car that rattled and never looked right. There's a lot to be said for driving a less expensive car, so that if and when something happens, because ultimately it's pretty darn near impossible to keep a car perfect, it's not as big a deal. On the other hand, now, when I don't feel like hooning, my new Boxster Spyder does a pretty good job of scratching the Porsche itch, without costing $150,000. In fact, it's about 1/3 less than that. Anyway, I'm sure the GTS cab is an awesome car, and all things being equal I'm sure I'd love to have one. For me, though, I don't think the value is there.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

emotional purchases are not logical purchases, but you only live once, and life is about experiences and emotions
Old 01-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

The "might as well get a TT at those prices" only works if you don't want a MT. If you want a MT but maybe not (or can't get) a GT3, that makes the order a little more price insensitive for some people.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:20 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

stuck,? I don't know, the Shelby is pretty much of a hoot. For hooning, I don't know that there's any better car. On the other hand, my GTS was beautiful, but it had a few little issues, the last of which was that it was run into you by a woman in a Subaru, the repair shop did a s***** job fixing it, and it drove me nuts that I was driving a $140,000 car that rattled and never looked right. There's a lot to be said for driving a less expensive car, so that if and when something happens, because ultimately it's pretty darn near impossible to keep a car perfect, it's not as big a deal. On the other hand, now, when I don't feel like hooning, my new Boxster Spyder does a pretty good job of scratching the Porsche itch, without costing $150,000. In fact, it's about 1/3 less than that. Anyway, I'm sure the GTS cab is an awesome car, and all things being equal I'm sure I'd love to have one. For me, though, I don't think the value is there.
Yours is a good example why, when a fine auto is damaged, the owner should never sign off until all repairs are complete to the owner's satisfaction. And the owner must also fight to be compensated for the diminished value which inevitable follows a collision repair that is reported to CarFax, Autochek, etc. Sometimes, grabbing your neck (the pain!) when you get out of your car after being hit is the only way to get enough leverage to make the other party and insurer want to fully compensate you for damage to your fine auto.

Quick Reply: 991.2 S vs 991.2 GTS