PSE without sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 03:27 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 207 Posts
Default PSE without sport Chrono

Happy 17 !

I am looking at a C2 base that has PSE but no sport Chrono. I have read that PSE behaves differently between Sport and Sport+. As without sport Chrono you do not get the Sport+ mode are there any differences in the way the PSE behaves with and without sport Chrono ?

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2017, 04:56 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Besides the Zit on the dash which is somewhat pointless unless you track your car, Sport Chrono is a software capability enhancement that remaps throttle shift points. Easy to have coded and buttons added. It's worth having with or without PSE.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:35 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
Besides the Zit on the dash which is somewhat pointless unless you track your car, Sport Chrono is a software capability enhancement that remaps throttle shift points. Easy to have coded and buttons added. It's worth having with or without PSE.
Lol

I wouldn't buy a car with sport crono...the "zit" on the dash bothers me.

Maybe I'm an odd duck
Old 01-01-2017, 08:08 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Is pressing the "sport" button on the central console of a car without sport chrono the same as putting a car with Sport chrono in sport mode ? I was assuming so.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:49 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 681 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by daberlin
Don't forget the dynamic engine mounts, launch control and boost functions. I'm not sure you can code that stuff in.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:11 AM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Don't forget the dynamic engine mounts, launch control and boost functions. I'm not sure you can code that stuff in.
The dynamic engine mounts is definitely a reason to get this option ... they give an additional 'feel' that is pretty awesome.

I almost didn't get this option but the manager of my dealer advised I should order it as he orders every car with it being people want it so I threw it in my order ... glad I did !!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:58 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by LionelB
Is pressing the "sport" button on the central console of a car without sport chrono the same as putting a car with Sport chrono in sport mode ? I was assuming so.
Yes. New for the 991.2s is that rev matching is now available in sport mode as well as sport + (but you still have to order SC). You didn't mention if you were getting a pdk or 7MT.

Happy 17 !

I am looking at a C2 base that has PSE but no sport Chrono. I have read that PSE behaves differently between Sport and Sport+. As without sport Chrono you do not get the Sport+ mode are there any differences in the way the PSE behaves with and without sport Chrono ?

Thanks!
In sport + with PSE engaged, it will burble, crack and pop more on the over runs and PSE is a bit louder overall. At idle, the engine is about 100 rpm higher in sport +. The other guys who have pdk and SC can chime in but i believe in sport + mode, the pdk always shifts at redline which just sucks unless you are on a track.

Originally Posted by kayjh
There are a lot of other gizmos too that no one really talks about.
1. Additional shift indicator in MFD.
2. Sport performance display that shows laps performance etc
3. Ability to download data to excel and then upload to video (kind of like Harry's laptimer)
4. Relaxes the point at which PSM engages in sport + mode.
5. G-force meter.
6. Performance screen will trace out track on the PCM (actually pretty cool....see my video below from my 981.)

I'm sure there are other features I forgot.

Only the thumb nail is blurry.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Is this a used .1 or a new .2?

PDK or MT?
Old 01-01-2017, 12:25 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

This is a new .2 PDK.

Is rev matching ONLY available with sport Chrono or does it work also without it in sport mode ?

Sorry about all of the basic questions but this stuff is hard to figure out as I only test drove cars with SC.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:36 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

This is a new .2 PDK.

Is rev matching ONLY available with sport Chrono or does it work also without it in sport mode ?

Sorry about all of the basic questions but this stuff is hard to figure out as I only test drove cars with SC.
Rev matching is for a manual transmission. Although, technically speaking, rev matching also applies to the PDK and is always active regardless of any other option - it's just how pdk is designed. No one really talks about rev matching with pdk.

For a manual transmission, you need sport chrono to get rev matching in a 991.1 or 991.2. As I mentioned previously, 991.2 also allows rev matching in sport mode as long as you have sport chrono. 991.1, you need sport chrono and in sport + mode.

I wish there was a separate button just for rev matching.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:51 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

All the 2017 PDK I drove were blipping the engine on downshifts in sport and sport plus. I do not think they were doing that in regular mode.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:52 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

I have sport (standard ) and PSE. When you push Sport pse is activated automatically. Love the burbles.................
Old 01-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Red991S
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad this thread is here and hopefully someone can answer this specific question. . .i've searched videos to no end without much luck. . .

So if you have a 991.2 911 WITHOUT sport chrono but WITH the PSE (therefore you DONT have sport mode but DO have sports exhaust button), will you get the same exhaust sound, specifically with the burbles and crackles on overrun?
Old 01-07-2018, 07:59 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Red991S
Glad this thread is here and hopefully someone can answer this specific question. . .i've searched videos to no end without much luck. . .

So if you have a 991.2 911 WITHOUT sport chrono but WITH the PSE (therefore you DONT have sport mode but DO have sports exhaust button), will you get the same exhaust sound, specifically with the burbles and crackles on overrun?
Sport button is standard even without the sport chrono package. You don’t get rev matching or the dynamic engine mounts. If you have PSE without SC, you can still drive the car in sport mode and get all those glorious farting sounds, Except that, you won’t get rev matching if you opt for the manual transmission. The rev matching is no big deal. The dynamic engine mounts are supposed to improve ride quality. Sport plus, which requires the SC package, does not make the backfiring sounds.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:09 PM
Red991S
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks AnandN! super helpful!

Quick Reply: PSE without sport Chrono