Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Sport Response Button functionality?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:28 PM
Porschefan604
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 991.2 Sport Response Button functionality?

Hi, I'm getting ready to order a base 991.2 and want to keep my options to a minimum to stay within budget.

Can someone explain what the 'sport response button' as part of the Sport Chrono option do? I'm getting a manual transmission, and I'm ok without having the sport+ mode.

Am I missing out on any extra power (or overboost), by not having the sport response mode? The documentation on this feature is a bit ambiguous. Is my assumption below correct?

Suppose I have Sport Chrono and I'm driving in comfort, I would assume that upon pressing the Sport response button, I'll get 20 seconds of 'sport+ mode' and then it reverts back to comfort mode.

Now, suppose I'm already driving in Sport+ mode... what would pushing the Sport response button accomplish? When the car is already supposedly in its most responsive mode? Does it do nothing? Or do the turbos actually go into overboost and provide a small gain in hp and torque for 20 seconds?

Looking for some owner feedback on whether this Sport response button really adds anything to the performance of the car... thanks!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:45 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschefan604
Hi, I'm getting ready to order a base 991.2 and want to keep my options to a minimum to stay within budget.

Can someone explain what the 'sport response button' as part of the Sport Chrono option do? I'm getting a manual transmission, and I'm ok without having the sport+ mode.

Am I missing out on any extra power (or overboost), by not having the sport response mode? The documentation on this feature is a bit ambiguous. Is my assumption below correct?

Suppose I have Sport Chrono and I'm driving in comfort, I would assume that upon pressing the Sport response button, I'll get 20 seconds of 'sport+ mode' and then it reverts back to comfort mode.

Now, suppose I'm already driving in Sport+ mode... what would pushing the Sport response button accomplish? When the car is already supposedly in its most responsive mode? Does it do nothing? Or do the turbos actually go into overboost and provide a small gain in hp and torque for 20 seconds?

Looking for some owner feedback on whether this Sport response button really adds anything to the performance of the car... thanks!
The good news for you is that if you are getting a manual, then you don't even have to think about getting the sport response button....because it is only available on cars equipped with the pdk.

....but my understanding is that the button adds extra boost and throttle mapping for passing etc.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Porschefan604
Rennlist Member

Thanks subshooter... I didn't realize that with manual, you didn't get the Sport response button. So it would simply be the 'dial' only to switch between comfort, Sport, etc?

My main reason for getting Sport Chrono would be the Sport response button, so I think Yiu just saved me a bunch of cash!
Old 12-20-2016, 06:30 PM
Tenere12
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I own a 2017 991.2 C4S with a manual transmission and it does have a mode switch on the steering wheel for selecting driving modes. The mode switch is part of the Sport Chrono Package. However, the sport response button is missing as it applies only to vehicles equipped with the PDK.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:34 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I rarely use the Sport response button. It spools up the turbos to max boost and drops the gears to get the engine at max power. To put it another way, it goes bat sh*t nuts and you take off at max acceleration. Normally the 991.2 has plenty of passing power without resorting to pushing the button. And launch control is done in sport+ mode. All with PDK of course. I still have not done a launch control. Maybe this summer.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:28 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

every vehicle i had with "sport plus" i did not use because it rev's too high and hangs too much on gears. for manual i feel the only perk is "throttle blips" and i can do that myself

i chose not to get sport chrono on my manual for that reason.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:55 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted PSE, RAS, and the sport wheel, so tossing in the sport chrono in the performance package made sense.

However, I probably would have added it regardless. Personally, I like the rev matching, increased throttle response, and the dynamic engine mounts.

Plus my wife likes the manettino, "So cute, just like on your Ferrari!"
Old 12-20-2016, 11:20 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sport plus is only useful on the track. Even the sport button is overkill, though its great for over- taking in light traffic, however you can very quickly reach 90mph and get into dangerous territory. I think the PSE button is more important, because the acceleration is slower in normal mode. This gives better sound for a longer period and the engine can be revved up for a longer time. Using sport button is a bit like premature ejxxx-ulation, its over all too quickly.
The following users liked this post:
Ed-209 (03-24-2020)
Old 12-21-2016, 12:35 AM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Porsche technical video explains where the extra oomph comes from when you push the button:

Last edited by SkipSauls; 12-21-2016 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Weird behavior for embedding videos...
Old 12-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yashagrawal
The Sport plus is only useful on the track. Even the sport button is overkill, though its great for over- taking in light traffic, however you can very quickly reach 90mph and get into dangerous territory.
You must be talking about the 991.1 sport plus mode because it is rather different in the 991.2.

See this post for more info:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9596...l#post13827560
Old 12-21-2016, 12:44 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yashagrawal
The Sport plus is only useful on the track. Even the sport button is overkill, though its great for over- taking in light traffic, however you can very quickly reach 90mph and get into dangerous territory. I think the PSE button is more important, because the acceleration is slower in normal mode. This gives better sound for a longer period and the engine can be revved up for a longer time. Using sport button is a bit like premature ejxxx-ulation, its over all too quickly.
The OP said he was getting a MT, so I'm not sure why you would say Sport plus would be only good at the track.

If you want to accelerate slower, than shift at 3K and don't push the pedal as much.
The following users liked this post:
j lok (10-17-2019)
Old 12-21-2016, 12:58 PM
Porschefan604
Rennlist Member

Just to add to the discussion, I do have a Macan GTS as well with Sport Chrono. I agree, the with PDK, the Sport Chrono option is not suitable for city driving in automatic mode. But it works well in manual mode and I feel like SC and PDK go very well together.

On a manual car, I see much less benefits. And now that I've realized that the Sport response button is only for PDK, it makes less sense to tick that option... especially since I'm trying to go for a budget, bare-bones build.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:08 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

On a manual car, I see much less benefits. And now that I've realized that the Sport response button is only for PDK, it makes less sense to tick that option... especially since I'm trying to go for a budget, bare-bones build.
Drive a manual with SC/Rev matching. It is fantastic. But there are also a couple of other goodies you get with SC.

1. Rev matching
2. G-force meter
3. Dynamic engine mounts
4. Clock w/lap timer
5. Relaxes point at which PSM engages
6. Performance screen
7. Ability to download car data (see this video I made) : (only thumb nail is this fuzzy)

There are a couple of other goodies like shift indicator etc (on TFT). But if you are on a budget, bag SC. Get PSE.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:43 PM
rsteele
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...what would pushing the Sport response button accomplish? When the car is already supposedly in its most responsive mode? Does it do nothing? Or do the turbos actually go into overboost and provide a small gain in hp and torque for 20 seconds?!
My thanks to you for posting this question and to others for answering it. I just pushed this button after passing the 2000-mile break-in period for my 2020 Panamera GTS and was astonished to find myself in a much lower gear at 5000 rpm, where the torque plateau begins to descend. Perhaps the GTS clutch isn't rated for greater engine torque, but without a bit of extra boost, this button seems a useless gimmick. Love the car though.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:24 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by rsteele
My thanks to you for posting this question and to others for answering it. I just pushed this button after passing the 2000-mile break-in period for my 2020 Panamera GTS and was astonished to find myself in a much lower gear at 5000 rpm, where the torque plateau begins to descend. Perhaps the GTS clutch isn't rated for greater engine torque, but without a bit of extra boost, this button seems a useless gimmick. Love the car though.
Something doesn’t sound right.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Sport Response Button functionality?