Sponsored by:

Moving to Europe with 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 08:54 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Moving to Europe with 991.2

Hi, first post here and planning to get my first Porsche as well ! I live between CA and France and plan to buy a C4 or C4S in CA with the idea of bringing it back to France eventually. If anyone has experienced doing this I would be interested to hear if there are any potential issues or things to watch out for ? Some obvious things would be to change the turning signals from red to orange as the side orange running lights from orange to clear (which I think quite a few people do in the US anyway). Also anyone knows if it is possible to order a US car with km/h instead of mph ?

Looking at a spec like this and welcome any critique on the build: http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...px?c=/PH5BPJE8.

After test driving the 2017 C2, C2S and C4S I would most likely do with the C4 or C4S as I would drive it in the mountains if I move it back to France.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:58 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist. My suggestion is to buy your new car in France. Warranty issues alone might be the biggest reason, then logistics. Yes, it may cost more in Country, but a lot easier and safer. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:01 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

My country is CA right now and I plan to use it there for at least a year and maybe more. I did bring a WV a long time back and the logistics was not that hard. As for the warranty isn't a WW warranty ?
Old 12-20-2016, 09:13 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by LionelB
My country is CA right now and I plan to use it there for at least a year and maybe more.
This is a very important tidbit. And might help your process and import duty back in France. Others here will know much more about this than I do. Good luck.

I dont think a USA car with a USA waranty is honored in other countries.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:16 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

I just had a quick look at the USA warranty and it says that it will only honor the warranty of the local country or something like this. The French warranty sats that it covers WW. Not too surprising as the US warranty is 4 years and the French one only 2 but with no mileage limit I could find. Anyway thanks for bringing this point up as it seems quite relevant.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

This being your "first Porsche" I'd suggest you buy a used 911 in the USA. Drive for a year or 2. Sell it. Then, when you move to France, buy used again, or order a new car (since you'll be an expert now). Study the 'Hot For Sale' sticky above. This will help you a ton.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:20 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Welcome to Rennlist. My suggestion is to buy your new car in France. Warranty issues alone might be the biggest reason, then logistics. Yes, it may cost more in Country, but a lot easier and safer. Good luck.
For the cost differential it would be near a wash to Buy/sell in USA and get a nice CPO when he moves back. Of course - rolling the dice on options in the CPO market.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:15 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
This being your "first Porsche" I'd suggest you buy a used 911 in the USA. Drive for a year or 2. Sell it. Then, when you move to France, buy used again, or order a new car (since you'll be an expert now). Study the 'Hot For Sale' sticky above. This will help you a ton.
Best advice. Why order your first Porsche? You only think you know what you want. No offense intended, but most of us have changed our priorities on Porsche options after living with one for awhile.

So enjoy an off-the-lot new or used (used is best bet because you know you'll be dumping it in year or two), and then about a month or two before moving to France (assuming it's an absolute done-deal at that point) order your French 991.2. That's what I would do, anyway.

Last thing I'd do is buy new here and try and ship it to France and register it there. Why go through the hassle? 991s are a commodity on both sides of the pond. And whatever coin you might save from buying over here, I suspect you'll lose if selling a gray market car in France.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:15 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

To be clear, you live in Canada, are a citizen of France and want to buy a car in the US, that you'll use in Canada and eventually ship back to France.

Not sure what you mean by "eventually" - do you plan to bring it into Canada as a temporary import?

As you already know, cars in Europe and France are expensive. Not to mention Switzerland, which is insane. Used cars are very expensive (don't ask me how I know this) so it's definitely worth exploring .

Regarding km/h vs mph, your digital speedometer and odometer both covert to either unit in your vehicle settings.
You'll need to contact Porsche to request your Cert of Conformity (when you're ready to export), but the entire process is quite straight forward. There are also companies that will help you through the process.

In order to avoid import duties in France you will have to own it for 1 year and then bring it into France as a returning resident. You won't be able it sell it in France for 1 year after importation.

I also had to get the radio reprogrammed because of the odd / even radio FM frequency allocation.

I cannot speak to the rules regarding buying a car in the US and importing it into Canada.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:22 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Thanks duxsi. To clarify I am a US and French citizen and reside in both countries. I would buy the car in CA (not Canada but California !), drive it there (I spend about 70% of my time there right now). If and when I want to move it back to France probably want to study this as buying in France is indeed quite a bit more expensive with a fairly low CPO market too. It could be in a year or 3, that part is not clear yet.

As for buying used after test driving the 991.1 and 991.2 I would much rather get the 991.2 (sorry for the purists...).
Old 12-20-2016, 10:27 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LionelB
Thanks duxsi. To clarify I am a US and French citizen and reside in both countries. I would buy the car in CA (not Canada but California !), drive it there (I spend about 70% of my time there right now). If and when I want to move it back to France probably want to study this as buying in France is indeed quite a bit more expensive with a fairly low CPO market too. It could be in a year or 3, that part is not clear yet.

As for buying used after test driving the 991.1 and 991.2 I would much rather get the 991.2 (sorry for the purists...).
If the French Warranty is only 2 years anyway... and you would move after or at the end of that then just buy the US car since at 2 years the French warranty wouldn't matter.

How likely are you to move within 2 years of taking delivery for the time left on warranty to have a material impact?
Old 12-20-2016, 10:43 AM
rx7owner
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is the best advice:

1) buy new 991.2 in the USA
2) when ready to move, buy new 991.2 in FR
3) donate US version to one lucky rennlist member
Old 12-20-2016, 10:43 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R_Rated
If the French Warranty is only 2 years anyway... and you would move after or at the end of that then just buy the US car since at 2 years the French warranty wouldn't matter.

How likely are you to move within 2 years of taking delivery for the time left on warranty to have a material impact?
When I "move" I would still keep a place in the US so I can very easily keep the car 2 years in the US no matter what. So the warranty issue seems fine indeed. Still I am not sure what else can be an issue and differences to make the car pass the French "inspection".
Old 12-20-2016, 10:45 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rx7owner
here is the best advice:

1) buy new 991.2 in the USA
2) when ready to move, buy new 991.2 in FR
3) donate US version to one lucky rennlist member
How about buy two Turbo S, one in FR and one in the US
Old 12-20-2016, 10:45 AM
LexVan
Banned

I
C
Porsches in your future. 1 USA based. 1 in Europe.

Quick Reply: Moving to Europe with 991.2