Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 C4S 19" ContiWinterContact Test

Old 12-18-2016, 11:35 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 991.2 C4S 19" ContiWinterContact Test

Over the decades I have used the local University parking lots for testing my 4x4 and AWD vehicles ranging from IH Scout II's, Jeep Cherokee AWD/4X4 SelectTrac 1999, 2003 and 2011 XC70's.
We have 15" of snow on the ground and got another 2-3" last night.
Key is to beat the plows to the roads and parking lots. We live on a dead end road but the township has it's own plows so we get plowed at least by 7am every snowfall. when the County did the plowing we got plowed once a day whether we needed it or not.
Got out before the plow and tested traction with and without PSM. Subjectively no difference in the deepest drifts I could find but more straight line stability with PSM ON.
Note: with AWD I switch Traction Control OFF or into 4X4 mode depending on the vehicle to allow the wheels to slip in deep snow other wise Traction Control brakes your spinning wheel(s) and you can come to a stop. Not enough snow to determine anything but i have come to the subjective conclusion that 4" is the limit for this vehicle.
On unplowed or plowed snow packed parking lot, you can spin in any Mode but it's easier with PSM OFF.
Braking with the Conti's was subjectively on a par with the Nokian's but I didn't have my son along to conduct measured distance's as we have in the past.
Green Bay Road was plowed but snow covered and packed but 50 mph was no problem.
Rear end becomes covered with snow elminating tail light/brake light visibility and back up sensors alarm. Clean that area if out and about in snow conditions.
I did use a set of Wheel Woolies to clean the packed snow from the wheel wells and wheel interiors. which i found a lot of snow packed into.
On a steep hill, just plowed but snow covered, I found traction very good and no difference with or without PSM.-Richard
BTW, I have three separate Snow/Ice AutoCross events scheduled at Road America next year.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2016, 11:42 AM
budrichard
Banned

Parking lot, one area just plowed and one not plowed yet.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2016, 11:45 AM
budrichard
Banned

Wheel wells and wheels.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2016, 06:01 PM
teambell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool info Bud, thanks for the scenarios!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 C4S 19" ContiWinterContact Test