Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Old 07-29-2017, 02:48 PM
BLAM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

if u mis-wire a speaker it will reverse the polarity, same sounds from r & l will cancel each other out; it will sound strange.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:51 PM
ThirdGen
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the tweeters Friday. Watched Nick's video many times before and during yesterday's installation. Sounds a lot better. Thanks for the video and the speakers
Old 07-30-2017, 11:01 PM
banz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine came Friday. The build quality of these speakers is remarkable. I can hardly think of anything I've purchased that was such high quality, and so well put together. I kinda wanted to keep the speakers in their box, just to enjoy the beautiful work.

Install was pretty easy, thanks to the install video and the included tool. removing the connector wasn't bad, something like the tool in the above post by Chad996Pgh makes a big difference. I basically just levered the plug out by jamming something like that tool into the small hole closest to the plug, as shown in the post.

The improvement is massive. I actually enjoy listening to the stereo now, whereas before it as a bit painful on the ears. It pretty much transforms the entire stereo. Makes me wonder what other upgrades might be possible.

If you own a 991, and enjoy music you'd be crazy not to go for this simple upgrade. Nice work Nick, I hope to stop by your shop in Portland sometime to hear more about the great work you guys are doing.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:36 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you Nick, really high quality setup, monster sound improvement. Just had to try some Madonna tunes (The Power of Good-Bye, Live To Tell, Ghosttown).

Thanks for the video, and the helpful posts in this thread. I removed the tweeters from the grills first, and then used a pick to remove the connectors. Without that pick I would have had trouble. I used a flashlight to help center the threaded clips before test fitting the screws. When installing the new grills, the rear clips would not engage, even with lots of force. So I squeezed the clip slightly with pliers, which solved the problem.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:14 PM
Chad996Pgh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine installed on my '17 Macan this weekend. The most tedious part was cutting out the old Bose mounting plate with an X-acto knife to get to the mounting points. I also struggled with how tight the screws should be using the supplied allen wrench, might be my OCD, but I wanted them tighter (to never come loose) but I didn't want to break the plastic on the tweeter mounts as they are thinner where the bolt is recessed (I didn't have this fear with the metal Burm ribbon tweeters when I did that conversion). How snug are you guys making yours?

As for the sound., it's exactly what I was expecting after reading all the feedback and talking to Nick. Being 8 ohms and utilizing a well-chosen crossover point, the tweeters attenuate the signal just enough to be able to turn up the rest of the system to blend seamlessly. Could this have been done with a more cost-effective tweeter? Probably, but the idea is to upgrade to the best right?! After just a weekend of playing with the settings on my Bose system - I ended up flat, Bass 0, Treble Zero, Linear Off (I like more mid/bass in the vocals), Surround off.. My only feedback is to consider a metal tweeter frame and/or change the hardware to a thicker and/or tapered screw so it doesn't feel as fragile when tightening.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:52 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad996Pgh
How snug are you guys making yours?
Just snug, not too tight. Use Threadlocker Blue (medium strength). Thanks for the pick idea. I prefer less bass: Bose surround off, linear on, bass -2, treble -1. May need to readjust after some running in.

Last edited by asia; 07-31-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:07 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DNorby
Someone earlier asked this question:
Will deleting the center speaker shut the hands free phone off? Or, will my phone still go through the sound system with the center speaker turned off?
Telephone sounds fine with the center speaker wires disconnected.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:07 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Glad everyone's tweeters are showing up okay and the installs are going fairly smooth!

I'm also glad you made mention of your Macan install Chad996Pgh. I just cracked open our first one for a local tweeter install and didn't realize how much of a struggle it is to cut away the factory tweeter base. I also want to offer an option for a plate that allows you to reinstall the bose tweeter should you over sell the car and want to keep the upgraded versions.

I'm working on putting together a video for the Macan tweeters soon, but it's likely that they'll need a cutting tool that I'll include in the kit. If you have a Macan set out there, look for an email today with some info.

Thanks again to everyone out there rocking these tweeters or waiting patiently for your order to make it through production. It's incredible to be able to share our craft with some many people that appreciate music and the time we put into make that experience better.

Nick
Old 07-31-2017, 04:53 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

Install appointment tomorrow morning!
Old 07-31-2017, 11:13 PM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Nick. Did I miss the 991 center speaker delete video? If not please do it next, and soon. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:41 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Box from Musicar just arrived in the mail!

Thanks Nick, now time to watch the video and install some speakers.

But my first question is regarding the change to the Burmeister covers as seen below.

Does this filter paper impede sound? What's the purpose?

Old 08-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 912 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Box from Musicar just arrived in the mail!

Thanks Nick, now time to watch the video and install some speakers.

But my first question is regarding the change to the Burmeister covers as seen below.

The OEM Burm Tweeter is a ribbon Tweeter that's pretty bright, so my guess is that foam help to attenuate the sharpness of that tweeter. The Dynaudio are softdome, so you can probably remove that foam if you want. I don't think there will be much difference either way.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
If you notice, it's only on the Driver's side grille. They do that to attenuate the left tweeter slightly versus the right one since you don't sit equidistant to them – better balance.

Now, that said, I've listened to them with and without... haven't heard a noticeable difference.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:14 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
If you notice, it's only on the Driver's side grille. They do that to attenuate the left tweeter slightly versus the right one since you don't sit equidistant to them – better balance.

Now, that said, I've listened to them with and without... haven't heard a noticeable difference.
Nick, the filter appears to be attached to the grills on both driver and passenger sides now.

Only pic I have as I was curious on the QC sticker dates, but shows the filter material on both left & right side grills

Anyway.. I installed everything as it arrived. Speakers sound great! They add a much needed overall brightness to the sound mix!!

Nick your video was invaluable!! BIG
Old 08-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would have thought those were dust filters so the speaker would not get a layer of accumulation on them and effect performance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade