Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 09:56 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe you can just push each individual terminal into the plug that is attached to the speaker and put a heat shrink over it.

Your picture looks like the connector is still on the wires. Can you push the terminals back into the connector?

It the terminals are damaged and you cannot get matching replacements, I would consider replacing the terminals and connectors on both the car harness and the speaker. I don't like the idea of soldering in that tight space. If you can't find suitable connectors, you might try connectors for radio control models. You can get terminals, connectors and tools here. http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/. Try to keep track of polarity.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:40 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm working with NF right now on his wiring issue. If anyone runs into this, it's not a big deal and it can be easily corrected with a few minor parts and some detailed instruction.

Update on the next batches, we just closed up the list for Round Three and we're going to get those orders into production real soon. The List for Round Four is open as of today and those orders should get started in August, so shoot me an email if you'd like to reserve a slot.

Oh, and Happy Fathers Day Everyone!!!

Nick
Old 06-18-2017, 03:44 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
I'm working with NF right now on his wiring issue. If anyone runs into this, it's not a big deal and it can be easily corrected with a few minor parts and some detailed instruction.

Oh, and Happy Fathers Day Everyone!!!

Nick

One thing I can say - Nick has been amazing and tremendously helpful. Beyond what I could ever imagine. A consummate professional. I wish Oregon was closer to Virginia!

Cheers,
NF
Old 06-24-2017, 11:34 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

I'm afraid I'll mess up the install. Anyone in Corpus Christi or San Antonio done this install?
Old 07-01-2017, 08:40 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Deposit paid and now looking forward to "hearing" when the 3rd round begins production.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:10 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Deposit paid and now looking forward to "hearing" when the 3rd round begins production.

Thanks for the order! Initial fabrication on Round III starts after the holiday. Looking forward to building more of these and sharing our craft with everyone involved.

Have a Happy 4th of July everyone!

Nick
Old 07-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

12VNick. How about that center channel delete video? Thanks!
Old 07-02-2017, 06:08 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
12VNick. How about that center channel delete video? Thanks!
Lol, I have a 991 w/ Bose coming in on Monday to take care of that. Should have a video up by the end of the week.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:08 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Does this work with non-Bose?
Old 07-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Lol, I have a 991 w/ Bose coming in on Monday to take care of that. Should have a video up by the end of the week.
Great. Look forward to it. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:12 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

So I had to do something last night that I planned for (fortunately) but never expected to happen as soon as it has. Which is - to remove the Musicar tweeters so I could trade the car in for a different 991.2 and put the Musicar tweeters in the NEW 991.2 - which will happen later on today.

What I did that was genuinely helpful was that when I installed the Musicar tweeters, I replaced the "barbed" metal clip on the Burmester grills with a "non-barbed" clip from the original Bose tweeters. (It's the "barbed" clip that requires you to remove the vent grills and displace the vent ductwork in order to get that clip to release.) The other thing I did was to lightly coat ALL the metal clips with a heavy silicone grease to make them easier to install and also easier to remove should that day come. Because I did this it became a really easy task to remove the Burmester grills so I could put the old tweeters back in. I'll have to fight the good fight with the new 991.2 but I've done that before and am not fazed by it.

Aside from the relatively easy task of removing the Burmester grills I was also struck by how much harder it is to get these barbed clips properly latched into the dash. I would strongly recommend NOT using the barbed clips - remove them from the Burmester grills and "borrow" two of the non-barbed clips from the old Bose tweeter grills - if for no other reason than to make installing the new grills so much easier.

The other thing that has struck me is how much better the Musicar tweeters are than the stock Bose tweeters. Though this was immediately noticeable when I first installed them it was if anything even more noticeable when going back to the Bose tweeters. And perhaps at the top of my list of "things to do with the new car" will be the installation of the Musicar tweeters on the new one (which also has the Bose system).
Old 07-03-2017, 07:45 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
I'm afraid I'll mess up the install. Anyone in Corpus Christi or San Antonio done this install?

YoungTruk You CAN do this. Don't be afraid watch the video a few times and have it with you to reference. Have confidence it really is not difficult at all just take your time. Do one side take a break if need be than do the other. Don't worry about others who said it took them 15 or 20 min a side, work at YOUR pace. I did it with regular long nose pliers but get the EXTRA long nose they definitely are easier to use. Harbor freight $3.99. The hardest part for me was getting the connector off of the Bose tweeter. Don't be afraid to give it a really good pull from the connector not the wire its on there good.
If you want to hear how much better the sound is like Nick say's cover the center speaker it will blow you away. Now have at it.

The sound as EVERYONE else has said is so much better even my wife noticed the difference, no more cracking sound. Now that I hear the difference it pisses me off that I paid extra for the Bose "quality".
I have an Audi Q7 and my wife has an A5 cab both with Bang and Olufsen system that really is much better imo than the Bose.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:07 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 275 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe I can. There is a HF in my town. Maybe I can do this.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:23 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
Great. Look forward to it. Thanks!
+1

Old 07-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
+1

Me Too eagerly awaiting

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade