Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:21 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Leave the burmester system alone...
Old 05-31-2017, 08:22 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911seeker
Leave the burmester system alone...
Because... ?
Old 05-31-2017, 08:35 PM
911seeker
Pro

Because it is a 5k optional system that has been specifically engineered for this car... so I don't think you have much to win and you might hurt your resale if you do and mess anything while doing it.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:59 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Previously I did the Burm Upgrade from the craptastic Bose Tweeter. HUGE improvement, these DynAudio ones are just as big of a leap, specifically around a wider sound stage and a fuller high.

It's feels more natural versus the almost artificially precise burm tweeter.

Obviously everyones ears are different so definitely take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:04 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Because it is a 5k optional system that has been specifically engineered for this car... so I don't think you have much to win and you might hurt your resale if you do and mess anything while doing it.
Maybe if you really messed up the installation. But the new tweeters would be hidden under OEM Burmester grills, just like the OEM option, so no one would notice anything but improved sound compared to stock Burmester systems (at least according to Joec500).

I will also point out that the Bose system has been specifically engineered for the car, but its sound is lacking compared to this upgrade.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:59 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Let us know if you can hear a big difference between Nick's speakers and the Burms
yes, will deff post.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 549 Posts

Actual Purchase Cost and assumptions around "design specificity" do not always = awesome performance. Especially in consumer driven mass produced products where there are a fair amount of compromises made for the bottom line and especially in an industry known for high markups.

I agree, hacking up your car for aftermarket audio upgrades could hurt resale, BUT if you do you research you will see that MusicarNW is not a hack outfit. Everything they do is reversible, and seamlessly integrates into OEM systems. Hence their premiums.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Now that my Musicar Tweeters are fully broken-in, I'm going to change the magnets, a little early, and really let them rip.

Last edited by LexVan; 06-01-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

I am in the SF Bay Area, happy to demo them for local members.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:23 PM
911seeker
Pro

Originally Posted by Joec500
Actual Purchase Cost and assumptions around "design specificity" do not always = awesome performance. Especially in consumer driven mass produced products where there are a fair amount of compromises made for the bottom line and especially in an industry known for high markups.

I agree, hacking up your car for aftermarket audio upgrades could hurt resale, BUT if you do you research you will see that MusicarNW is not a hack outfit. Everything they do is reversible, and seamlessly integrates into OEM systems. Hence their premiums.

You got me wrong, I think... I myself did the Musicar upgrade on the base system, and like it. Also, I understand doing it for the Bose (which is what Musicar really selected the Dynaudio tweeters for).

But the base is what it is and the bose is what it is as well. The "full Burmester" is supposed to be a whole different quality level. I don't know first hand, but I know the Burmester brand and prestige from my time as an audiophile, nothing to do with Bose in that regard.

Regarding your specific experience, the fact that a "Bose+Dynaudio tweeters" solution sounds better than a "Bose+Burmester tweeters" solution does not necessarily mean that you will get any (big) improvement if you start from the Burmester and do a "Burmester+Dynaudio tweeter solution. And, even if you realize some improvement, if a buyer sees that you have been messing with the Burmester, it will cease to be a selling argument to get a premium over a similar car without it (otherwise, why did you need to touch it? and a lot of people don't like cars being messed around with, they prefer them as OEM as possible).

Anyway, I could care less, each one has their own money and ears...
Old 06-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

You got me wrong, I think... I myself did the Musicar upgrade on the base system, and like it. Also, I understand doing it for the Bose (which is what Musicar really selected the Dynaudio tweeters for).

But the base is what it is and the bose is what it is as well. The "full Burmester" is supposed to be a whole different quality level. I don't know first hand, but I know the Burmester brand and prestige from my time as an audiophile, nothing to do with Bose in that regard.

Regarding your specific experience, the fact that a "Bose+Dynaudio tweeters" solution sounds better than a "Bose+Burmester tweeters" solution does not necessarily mean that you will get any (big) improvement if you start from the Burmester and do a "Burmester+Dynaudio tweeter solution. And, even if you realize some improvement, if a buyer sees that you have been messing with the Burmester, it will cease to be a selling argument to get a premium over a similar car without it (otherwise, why did you need to touch it? and a lot of people don't like cars being messed around with, they prefer them as OEM as possible).

Anyway, I could care less, each one has their own money and ears...
ahhh ok that makes sense.

I agree, either pay the premium for the full burm and leave it alone or upgrade BLOse.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:19 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

I can understand your position, but I think you're giving them a bit too much credit. The Burmester we think of in the home audio channel is so far removed from the automotive field they might as well be two completely different companies.

You have to think, it's a $5k option on the car, which isn't even half the cost of their most entry-level pair of home tower speakers. There's no way you can get anywhere close to the same quality when you add an amplifier into that price and consider Porsche's mega-markup on everything. The Burmester system is only a slightly more powerful version of the Bose system with better tweeters.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:41 PM
911seeker
Pro

Nick, you have valid points, but don't forget that you don't need the "external design" components / materials / craftsmanship that add a lot of cost to home applications, nor you need the same power to generate sound pressure levels in a much smaller environment... so comparing the cost of high end home audio and car audio is apples to oranges to some extent...
Old 06-02-2017, 06:13 AM
windblow
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick, you have valid points, but don't forget that you don't need the "external design" components / materials / craftsmanship that add a lot of cost to home applications, nor you need the same power to generate sound pressure levels in a much smaller environment... so comparing the cost of high end home audio and car audio is apples to oranges to some extent...
I have both the Burmester in my 991.1 tts and the Bose in my 991.2 cabriolet now. I would say that the Burm in my tts is about a $1K improvement over the Bose, not the $4K cost. It's mostly Porsche's markup. It's OK with me since I didn't get the tts to listen to the Burm. I just got confirmation from Nick that my Musicar tweeter for the Bose in the Cab is shipping tomorrow... can't wait to install and compare.

Another note, the external design / material / craftsmanship in home applications you speak of can be had for cheap - think of Pioneer, Sony, Marrantz, Onkyo, etc...
Old 06-02-2017, 06:36 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Nick. Please remember to give us the center channel delete video. Preferably with Sport Chrono clock. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade