Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 09:15 PM
911Forever
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan
Several people have now said that the bass sounds better (I can't comment yet, because my car and newly installed tweeters are still in winter hibernation). Is this because of the crossovers in the Musicar setup? More cleaner bass signal going to the other speakers?? The system running more efficiently (the Musicar tweeters are different/more efficient ohms) now, and the amp has more power to better drive the other larger speakers??? Interesting and unexpected surprise.
I thought about that too but it takes much more power to drive the woofers/subwoofers than tweeters. Hence, unless the POS Bose tweeter is a huge resister, the power savings from an efficient tweeter would not add much power to drive the woofers/subwoofer. Irregardless, I'm just going to enjoy the new dynamic sound instead of trying to figure it out.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Several people have now said that the bass sounds better (I can't comment yet, because my car and newly installed tweeters are still in winter hibernation). Is this because of the crossovers in the Musicar setup? More cleaner bass signal going to the other speakers?? The system running more efficiently (the Musicar tweeters are different/more efficient ohms) now, and the amp has more power to better drive the other larger speakers??? Interesting and unexpected surprise.
There's actually a perfectly technical explanation for this so-called phenomenon. The factory tweeters were the first speaker to distort when you crank up the volume. Because of that, they were the limiting component in the system. Now that you have a tweeter that can handle more power without the distortion, you're able to get further into the volume without the sound being too bright. So you don't actually have more power than before, you're just able to use more of the power you already had.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:56 PM
911Forever
Advanced

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
There's actually a perfectly technical explanation for this so-called phenomenon. The factory tweeters were the first speaker to distort when you crank up the volume. Because of that, they were the limiting component in the system. Now that you have a tweeter that can handle more power without the distortion, you're able to get further into the volume without the sound being too bright. So you don't actually have more power than before, you're just able to use more of the power you already had.
This makes perfect sense. Now a better question for you, Nick. When are you going to have other audio components (woofers, etc.) upgrades for us as another Group Buy?
Old 03-06-2017, 11:13 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to hear it wasn't confirmation bias or me just being crazy. I am known to hear things now and again
Old 03-08-2017, 01:25 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Wow. Attention to detail is top notch. Well done Nick.

Attachment 1134245
I don't know... that sticker looks slightly off center to me.

Seriously, though, will these kits work in Cayennes and Boxsters? I only saw one reference to Boxsters and saw that they went into a Macan already, but want to make sure.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:47 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
I don't know... that sticker looks slightly off center to me.

Seriously, though, will these kits work in Cayennes and Boxsters? I only saw one reference to Boxsters and saw that they went into a Macan already, but want to make sure.
We need to validate the platforms. In theory, they should both work since they both use the same Burmester tweeter part number. That means they should both have the mounting tabs and space available. You should make the trip down from Bellingham and let us use one of your cars for the validation, I'd make it worth your time. Shoot me an email if your interested(nick.akin@musicarnw.com).
Old 03-09-2017, 01:17 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

We need to validate the platforms. In theory, they should both work since they both use the same Burmester tweeter part number. That means they should both have the mounting tabs and space available. You should make the trip down from Bellingham and let us use one of your cars for the validation, I'd make it worth your time. Shoot me an email if your interested(nick.akin@musicarnw.com).
That's a possibility. Check your email.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:31 PM
ieatfishburritos
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Nick, any update on the next batch for those in queue?
Old 03-11-2017, 12:34 AM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just installed and sat in the car and listened to music for 30 min. thanks guys for all the tips.

the new tweeters are less harsh than the bose and the bass hits harder. nick u are spot on about the increased volume.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:17 AM
SaGa1113
Advanced

Hey Nick,
Coming down to Portland from Seattle and staying March 16-18. Can we set up an appointment!? Feel free to PM. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Tweeter install completed. Easy with video and advice from prior posters. Thanks Nick!

Where do we stand with a video or something for disconnecting the center channel with Sport Chrono? I don't want to mess up my feeling of victory on the tweeters by promptly screwing up the center of my dash!
Old 03-11-2017, 02:46 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
Tweeter install completed. Easy with video and advice from prior posters. Thanks Nick!

Where do we stand with a video or something for disconnecting the center channel with Sport Chrono? I don't want to mess up my feeling of victory on the tweeters by promptly screwing up the center of my dash!
Wanting to order these speakers also, but would like to wait until someone posts a center channel delete video.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:34 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Default got 'em installed but not without a problem ...

Followed the video and the recommendations from here and all those things made it a "walk in the park" in terms of the install. What did not work were my hands - I have a familia tremor and it kicked in big time when I was using the wrench on the windshield side bolts and I tremor-ed the wrench right into the cone...

Figured I was screwed big time .... but an exchange of emails with Nick where he suggested using some tape to gently pull up the "dents" worked fantastic...

To celebrate I took off on Thursday to drive to the Werks Reunion in FL (From VA) and enjoyed great sounds all the way down and back.

Thanks Nick -- for the product and the help on "fixing" my problem
Old 03-12-2017, 10:25 PM
BLAM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Getting ready to do the install in my GTS. Is it recommended to remove the acoustic paper from the Burmester grills?

Is everyone disconnecting the center speaker?
Old 03-13-2017, 01:22 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey blam, I don't really recall any acoustic paper. Can you post a pic?

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade