Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:42 AM
dkuznetsov
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can I get a set now?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:59 PM
kpmd2000
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

hey Nick, I'm having a really difficult time getting the center channel trim off. i saw the post that lexvan linked to with some pics on how its done, but I can get close to the windshield. Any advice??
Old 02-17-2017, 02:27 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by dkuznetsov
How can I get a set now?
There's a bit of a wait but you can definitely still put an order in. Shoot me an email for more details: nick.akin@musicarnw.com

Originally Posted by kpmd2000
hey Nick, I'm having a really difficult time getting the center channel trim off. i saw the post that lexvan linked to with some pics on how its done, but I can get close to the windshield. Any advice??
Where are you having a tough time? I don't have a 991 in the shop right now to disassemble and advise, only Caymans at the moment. I might make another video this weekend on just the center channel delete.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:55 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming you have Sport Chrono like me, use Nick's blue tool, insert it (I did it with the "point" facing down) beneath one side of the SC cover (I did it close to the whindshield, after the full leather cover, when the plastic starts, if you don't have full leather, any place on the side of the SC cover should do), and then push the CS cover up to release the clip(s) near that position.

Then you just have to use the tool in different positions around the SC cover to free all the clips.

Hope it is clear...
Old 02-17-2017, 11:30 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

I removed the air vent/clock center console today from my Macan (still waiting on speakers for the 991) and disconnected the center speaker. Made a world of difference in the quality of the sound.

The only difficulty I had was, after releasing all of the clips, the console was loose but would not separate completely from the dash. Then I discovered there are some 'j hooks' in the area below the clock that was keeping it loosely mated to the dash. I used some needle nosed pliers to gently move them enough to release them from the dash. The rest was a piece of cake.

Last edited by flickroll; 02-18-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-18-2017, 04:17 AM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have the clock in my car. I used my thumb to lift on the part that looks like a vent a little to help get the trim tool under the grill. For the clips closest to the windshield, it was easier to use the trim tool that comes in the cars tool kit. When you get the whole grill loose, don't just pull on it to get it out of the way. There is a wire attached to it. I was able to use regular long nose pliers to remove the plug.

When you reinstall the grill, make sure it is sitting flush with the dash. The second pair of clips coming back from the windshield is not at the edge of the grill but needs to be pushed down also.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:03 PM
kpmd2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by PTGFAR
I don't have the clock in my car. I used my thumb to lift on the part that looks like a vent a little to help get the trim tool under the grill. For the clips closest to the windshield, it was easier to use the trim tool that comes in the cars tool kit. When you get the whole grill loose, don't just pull on it to get it out of the way. There is a wire attached to it. I was able to use regular long nose pliers to remove the plug.

When you reinstall the grill, make sure it is sitting flush with the dash. The second pair of clips coming back from the windshield is not at the edge of the grill but needs to be pushed down also.
thanks everybody. I was able to get the grill off and the speaker disconnected. Now I can't get the grill back on. The side plastic tabs don't seem to want to get past the metal tab that holds it in place.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:30 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks everybody. I was able to get the grill off and the speaker disconnected. Now I can't get the grill back on. The side plastic tabs don't seem to want to get past the metal tab that holds it in place.
I don't remember the plastic tabs being a problem. Are those the ones on the side closest to you? They aren't very far from the clips on the end closest to you. Make sure the clips are pushed all the way down. Also make sure everything is aligned properly.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:13 PM
kpmd2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by PTGFAR
I don't remember the plastic tabs being a problem. Are those the ones on the side closest to you? They aren't very far from the clips on the end closest to you. Make sure the clips are pushed all the way down. Also make sure everything is aligned properly.
Yes, they're tabs closest to me. I guess I'm afraid that they'll break if I push to hard. I'll try again. Thanks
Old 02-18-2017, 05:42 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Yes, they're tabs closest to me. I guess I'm afraid that they'll break if I push to hard. I'll try again. Thanks
Put the plastic tabs in first, then the rest. it will take some pressure to get them all in.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:52 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I installed my tweeters today, and what a huge difference.

I am not that handy, but was able to install these without damaging my car. My tips:

1. Have the install video on your phone (YouTube). Start and stop it with each step.
2. Don't be afraid to use the pry tool. Your dash will be fine.
3. It took a bit to get the clip off. Once I used the same technique in the video, grab and rotate the needle nose pliers, it came right off.
4. Take the clip off that holds the Bose tweeter to the cover. It will be easier to work with the wiring.
5. When putting on the grill cover, put the tabs in first. The clips are meant to hold the grill firmly, so they need some good pressure to snap them in place.

It took me 75 minutes to do both sides. The right side was much less time once I understood the process. Also note, there is a right and left tweeter. That was one of my "duh" moments.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:58 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Still eagerly awaiting my tweeters. Are most of you disconnecting the center speaker when you install your tweeter upgrades? Is there a video for disconnecting the center speaker?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:00 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was able to disconnect the center speaker without too much trouble. Used tool to lift grille from front and gradually moved on the side until it popped out. Used some force but not too much.
This is an absolute necessity to feel the improvement of the new tweeters. It is hard for me to understand there was even a speaker there for stereo listening...

Now I am happy. Nick, great job!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:15 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Disconnected the center speaker from the 991 this evening. That was a royal PITA compared to removing trim to access the tweeters which I practiced after the center speaker work. Hopefully will have the tweeters this week...
Old 02-20-2017, 11:57 PM
APristi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too familiar with car audio but will removing the center channel be tantamount to removing some of the music as well ? How do you set PCM to only send the sound to the left and right speakers

Thanks !

Last edited by APristi; 02-21-2017 at 05:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade