Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 03:42 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgadbois
My $0.02. Mine came in over the weekend. Put them in today and the sound is great - Thanks Nick.

Regarding the connectors in the old tweeters - yes it is difficult in getting them out but here is what I did. After pulling the old speaker up, cover the dash with a cloth, press down on one end of the silver metal strap holding the tweeter in the cover. This will release the tweeter. You will see a small hole that was covered by the strap. Use a very small screwdriver (mine was 1.8mm wide) and work the connector out. Regarding the hex bolts- just wiggle them back and forth when putting them in. That will insure that they are centered.
Thanks kindly for the tips. We have 60's forecasted for next weekend so it's wash, wax, and install the tweeters!
Old 02-13-2017, 07:52 PM
kpmd2000
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

It was really easy from a guy who is a klutz and not mechanically inclined. of course, i lost a speed nut! still took me less than an hour!

the sound is really improved. that center channel speaker needs to go! my next project. need to buy a right angle torx now. just to think a few years ago, i had no idea what that was!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:14 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

By the way, just remembered to clarify that, at least with the base stereo, if you have an extra long "needle plier" you don't have to unscrew the center speaker to disconnect it, you can just unplug the connector with the plier.

Best
Old 02-13-2017, 09:25 PM
kpmd2000
Advanced

How long is "extra long"? I'd rather just disconnect than take the whole thing out
Old 02-13-2017, 09:59 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I used this

Old 02-15-2017, 04:27 AM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The tip about removing the tweeters from the grill and working the connector out was very useful. I used a pick to work it out.

I had a hard time getting the clip off with the pliers. One of the clips broke while I was pulling. I also had a hard time getting the new grill on. The clip that is in the location by the vent was hard to push in. I ended up replacing that clip with one of the old ones that is the same as the other two clips. After that, the grill snapped right back in solidly. I don't understand why they used a different clip for that location.

When I removed the passenger side vent, the plastic part in the vent trim fell out. It looked like it was glued in place. I put it back in position and put the vent back on. I don't know if it is going to rattle or stay on. I may have to use some kind of glue or maybe double sided tape to secure it.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:52 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by PTGFAR
The tip about removing the tweeters from the grill and working the connector out was very useful. I used a pick to work it out.

I had a hard time getting the clip off with the pliers. One of the clips broke while I was pulling. I also had a hard time getting the new grill on. The clip that is in the location by the vent was hard to push in. I ended up replacing that clip with one of the old ones that is the same as the other two clips. After that, the grill snapped right back in solidly. I don't understand why they used a different clip for that location.

When I removed the passenger side vent, the plastic part in the vent trim fell out. It looked like it was glued in place. I put it back in position and put the vent back on. I don't know if it is going to rattle or stay on. I may have to use some kind of glue or maybe double sided tape to secure it.
I am a bit worried about the install. I break things.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Here are a few of my install tips:

1) Nick's video is great. Watch 20-30 seconds of it, go do that step, watch a little more, then go do that step.

2) When you get the speaker out, plug the open hole in the dash with a small microfiber towel before test fitting the speed nuts and screws.

3) Have a small magnet ready. Especially if you skip step # 2 above.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:26 PM
kpmd2000
Advanced

where were those words of advice before i installed mine?!?!! i have no idea where one of the speed nuts went. and like ptgfar, i had a hell of a time getting the new grill on. and i also had the passenger vent trim clip come off as well. but the speakers sound great at least
Old 02-15-2017, 07:24 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

LexVan knows of what he speaks.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:25 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

I ordered 2 sets of the tweeters from Nick, one for my '15 991, and one for my '16 Macan S. This vehicle has the base sound system in it and last summer I built a custom subwoofer box and used a JL Audio sub amp and a 10" JL Audio subwoofer. That mod improved the sound quite a bit, but over the weekend I put the Dynaudio tweeters in and what a difference! The audio now sounds tremendous.

Waiting on the second set for the 911 which I hope to receive next week. If anyone is interested I'll post some pics of the Macan install.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:03 PM
First991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed these yesterday and learned two things- that the parts used in the stock (supposedly premium) Bose system is junk, and how much workmanship goes into Nick's products.

I was initially concerned about these producing too much of a 'bright' hissing sound like you get with some high end tweeters, but it wasn't the case. The output has much better range and is much more balanced. OVerall very pleased with this upgrade.

Like others, getting the connector off the tweeter was a pain. I ended up using locking pliers on the black connector clip and pulling. it came off easily.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:42 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did my install. Easy, probably 30 minutes.
I have base stereo, nice improvement.
I am trying to figure out if I have a center speaker... do I? How do I disconnect it if I do?

Thanks Nick!!
Old 02-16-2017, 10:52 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by PTGFAR

You just reminded me of A few points I should mention.

1.) If you ever plan to remove the grilles again and want to make life a bit easier, just swap the pain-in-the-*** clip for one of the standard clips from your original Bose grilles.

2.) Every once in a while(maybe 1/20 for me) the plastic clip retainer on the outer passenger vent clip will separate on removal/reinstall. It looks like Porsche used a glue that didn't bond well to the vent assembly. It's easy enough to throw a coupe dabs of super glue on and mate back together.

Originally Posted by flickroll
I ordered 2 sets of the tweeters from Nick, one for my '15 991, and one for my '16 Macan S. This vehicle has the base sound system in it and last summer I built a custom subwoofer box and used a JL Audio sub amp and a 10" JL Audio subwoofer. That mod improved the sound quite a bit, but over the weekend I put the Dynaudio tweeters in and what a difference! The audio now sounds tremendous.

Waiting on the second set for the 911 which I hope to receive next week. If anyone is interested I'll post some pics of the Macan install.
Thanks for helping me validate the Macan solution. Glad it's a perfect fit!

Originally Posted by First991
I installed these yesterday and learned two things- that the parts used in the stock (supposedly premium) Bose system is junk, and how much workmanship goes into Nick's products.

I was initially concerned about these producing too much of a 'bright' hissing sound like you get with some high end tweeters, but it wasn't the case. The output has much better range and is much more balanced. OVerall very pleased with this upgrade.

Like others, getting the connector off the tweeter was a pain. I ended up using locking pliers on the black connector clip and pulling. it came off easily.
Thanks for the kind words! Glad you're enjoying the new sound.

Originally Posted by 911passion
Just did my install. Easy, probably 30 minutes.
I have base stereo, nice improvement.
I am trying to figure out if I have a center speaker... do I? How do I disconnect it if I do?

Thanks Nick!!
No, thank you sir.

...and yes, you do have a center channel. To disconnect it you'll need to remove the center grille assembly with the sport chrono(if equipped). With some cars you can use a long set of needle-nose pliers to simply disconnect the wiring – others you'll need a T15 on a right-angle to remove the speaker and disconnect.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:42 AM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perfect. Merci!

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade