Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 01:08 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Would this work with the base system?
Old 12-14-2016, 01:24 PM
teambell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Email sent
Old 12-14-2016, 03:15 PM
ericb44
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm interested but have a question as an audiophile. Why upgrade only the tweeters? I get it that the tweeters are the biggest point of concern for the Bose system but honestly, I believe all the speakers are garbage. Do you have an option to replace all the speakers without replacing the amp and going with a digital processor as I believe just replacing the speakers itself will provide a good enough upgrade? I have a feeling just replacing the tweeters with a higher caliber speaker will create too much high end and not enough mid and bass to balance it. Grant it, sound is individual but too much highs is a pet peeve of mine despite being preferred by the average listener. So net net, I really am looking for a balanced sound approach with plenty of low end and mid low attack.

In another car, I ripped out all the speakers and amps and replaced with all Focal speakers, Audison AV 5.1 with Bit One processor, and added a 12" JBL shallow sub. That system for $6K installed blows away any Burmester or any out of the factory system I've ever heard.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:02 PM
kpmd2000
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

im interested
Old 12-14-2016, 04:58 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Add one more..Me too.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:12 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

A big thank you to everyone who has placed their order for this initial production run. I've spent the entire morning going through the mass of emails I'm getting so if you haven't seen a response, rest assured it's coming. As a side note, I'm going to open the top end up and take the 20pc cap off — might even throw in a 40pc bonus. (free Bieber album?)

Originally Posted by ericb44
I'm interested but have a question as an audiophile. Why upgrade only the tweeters? I get it that the tweeters are the biggest point of concern for the Bose system but honestly, I believe all the speakers are garbage. Do you have an option to replace all the speakers without replacing the amp and going with a digital processor as I believe just replacing the speakers itself will provide a good enough upgrade? I have a feeling just replacing the tweeters with a higher caliber speaker will create too much high end and not enough mid and bass to balance it. Grant it, sound is individual but too much highs is a pet peeve of mine despite being preferred by the average listener. So net net, I really am looking for a balanced sound approach with plenty of low end and mid low attack.
There's a good amount of validity to your logic. Would the sound system be better with new speakers all around? of course! and that solution is in the works right now. The problem is that the factory amplifier should really be replaced to take full advantage of an upgrade like that.

It may be counter-intuitive, but we're not actually adding more volume to the tweeter section. We have the same amount of power, so we would have to have a more efficient tweeter to do that. We are actually attenuating the output a slight bit with the new tweeters. But that's part of what makes the upgrade work so well — our high-end tweeter is "revealing" information in the music that is not currently discernible, but at the same time attenuating the output as a whole so that it's not overbearing. This is what we ultimately perceive as resolution and clarity.

Originally Posted by 911seeker
Would this work with the base system?
It would work well in the Sound Package Plus system, which is what most of us interpret as "base" stereo. That said, there are a couple of cars floating around with CDR radios and a very basic audio system(6 speakers and no amplifier). I've not validated the solution in that system, but if you do in fact have that option I'd love to work with you on doing that.

Originally Posted by mtgadbois
Add one more..Me too.
Send me an email at nick.akin@musicarnw.com or PM your email address.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:16 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:28 PM
911Enthusiast
Intermediate

I'm following this thread as well. Would love to see a how-to video specifically for install on the garbage bose crappers in my 991.1.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:50 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Is it possible to post a graph of the different frequency responses of these new installed tweeters vs the old installed Bose tweeters? Also, any other real measure of the before/after effect, if possible, would be appreciated. E.g., a video showing the real time response before and after the upgrade, etc. I'd like to see more than just qualitative descriptions.... Thanks.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Wow! 27 people in about 3 days. That's awesome.

This is a great example of "how to sell" on Rennlist. Great job, Nick.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:51 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 911passion
I'm in.
Great! Shoot me an email so I can get you the info: nick.akin@musicarnw.com

Originally Posted by whiteducktail
Is it possible to post a graph of the different frequency responses of these new installed tweeters vs the old installed Bose tweeters? Also, any other real measure of the before/after effect, if possible, would be appreciated. E.g., a video showing the real time response before and after the upgrade, etc. I'd like to see more than just qualitative descriptions.... Thanks.
Sure, it's possible. I could place an omni-directional microphone in the diver's seat and use a digital real-time analyzer in 1/24th octave resolution to measure the response change between the OEM tweeters and the Dynaudio version. I do have the equipment. That said, I have a feeling that if you can tell how a speaker is going to sound based on an RTA curve, you already know these are going to sound great.

If you truly need those measurements to feel comfortable getting on the list, send me an email and I'll see what I can do.

Originally Posted by LexVan
Wow! 27 people in about 3 days. That's awesome.

This is a great example of "how to sell" on Rennlist. Great job, Nick.
Thanks LexVan! Who knew that quality products backed by people who give a **** would be received so well in here... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Name:  photo251.jpg
Views: 13029
Size:  1.33 MB
Old 12-15-2016, 08:55 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Enthusiast
I'm following this thread as well. Would love to see a how-to video specifically for install on the garbage bose crappers in my 991.1.
Hey 911Enthusiast, FYI, there are some GREAT pictures and DIY instructions in the other Bose To Burmester thread. There might even be some video, not sure. But some other Rennlisters posted some great DIY photos. Let me know if you need help finding that post. I think it will help you a ton with Nick's upgraded tweeter product.

Found the link.......here you go.....good luck.....:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8519...your-bose.html

Last edited by LexVan; 12-15-2016 at 09:11 AM. Reason: added link
Old 12-15-2016, 02:10 PM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume this upgrade shouldn't avoid any warranty on the car?
Old 12-15-2016, 02:14 PM
RickIrons
Advanced

I assume it is easily reversible. I have leased car myself.

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade