Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:49 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by teambell
I am not an audiophile, do you think the average listener will discern an improvement?
You don't have to be an audiophile to appreciate the performance gains from an upgrade like this. As the "average listener" you can still discern the lack of quality from the Bose system, so why wouldn't you be able to discern the improvements?

My original motivation to build these stemmed from the Burmester tweeter upgrade I'd seen quite a few people do. It took care of the major harshness and fatiguing sound of the extremely low-quality Bose tweeters, but it didn't seem to add that "air" and "sparkle" that great tweeters should have — so why not tailor a solution to give you both? Made sense to me.

Originally Posted by Leenseen
also assuming you can use the std Bose grill if you want?
Unfortunately, no. You could dremel out the old mount to make clearance for the new tweeter but you'd still be suppressing the dispersion of sound through a tiny hole. Here's a few photos of the difference for reference:

These photos not only show the difference in how open the grille is, but also the style of mounts. The factory Bose uses a flimsy clip to hold the tweeter to the grille while the new tweeter mounts to the car itself — much more solid.

Originally Posted by First991
i'd be interested as well.
Please send me an email so I can get you the information you need to secure a spot on the list. Thanks!

Originally Posted by STG
The Bose tweeters are truly JUNK. Literally a $5 tweeter. Embarrassing.
agreed.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Nick,
Would you be willing to show pictures of how to do this install? also I assume that this will work for a 991.2?
Old 12-13-2016, 11:40 PM
911Forever
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NOSUB2T
Nick, Would you be willing to show pictures of how to do this install? also I assume that this will work for a 991.2?
+1. I've read on another thread that it's not easy to remove the factory grill. This concerns me as I don't want to cause any damage.

Do you carry a Luxor Beige colored Burmeister grill? Also, since this only replaces the left & right tweeters and not the center tweeter, does this impact the sound level and tonal balance if we select the surround sound mode?
Old 12-14-2016, 12:37 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seller, can you provide more info on why these tweeters? how did you come to this package? how is this different than the popular Burmester tweeter upgrade here on RL? what model tweeter is this? would you be willing to do an install DIY video? Thanks much.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:51 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Burmester grills are available in ALL interior color options. I'm sure he'll ask your color when ordering.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:02 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911Forever
+1. I've read on another thread that it's not easy to remove the factory grill. This concerns me as I don't want to cause any damage.

Do you carry a Luxor Beige colored Burmeister grill? Also, since this only replaces the left & right tweeters and not the center tweeter, does this impact the sound level and tonal balance if we select the surround sound mode?
1.) There are three clips that hold the grilles in place. The clip closest to the driver/passenger is a mighty one, and can put up a fight on the way out. I've got a great workaround that I'll share in a how-to video this weekend — no need to be worried.

2.) The Burmester grilles we ship will come color-matched to your factory interior.

3.) Personally, I like the sound system better with the center channel unplugged. The Bose surround does not have good center channel steering logic so we get better stereo separation without it. I recommend that everyone take a microfiber towel and a book and place them over the center channel grille to listen to the difference, then decide for themselves. That said, I've listened to it both ways and the improvement is just as impactful in either scenario.

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Seller, can you provide more info on why these tweeters? how did you come to this package? how is this different than the popular Burmester tweeter upgrade here on RL? what model tweeter is this? would you be willing to do an install DIY video? Thanks much.
Absolutely — When I stated developing this upgrade it was to give the people going after the Burmester tweeter upgrade a better alternative. That upgrade seemed to take care of the harsh and fatiguing sound of the OEM Bose tweeters, but it didn't seem to really add much in the way of tonal benefits. This tweeter upgrade allows you to remedy the things we hate about the Bose tweeters while at the same time adding "air" and "sparkle" to the top end. Ultimately creating a more enjoyable experience and not just a less annoying one.

The tweeter itself is a modified version of Dynaudio's MD102 driver from their Esotec line.

Install video will be up this weekend if all goes as planned.

Just to give you guys a bit more insight, here are a few photos of the process involved in making the mounting system.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:40 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Excellent, thanks. Please let me know how to join the group buy. I'm in. That diy vid will be a huge help! -FD
Old 12-14-2016, 02:56 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Excellent, thanks. Please let me know how to join the group buy. I'm in. That diy vid will be a huge help! -FD
Happy to help. You can shoot me a quick email at nick.akin@musicarnw.com or send me a PM with your email address. That way I can get you the info on reserving a spot.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:07 AM
Zekiel
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I sent you an email too, thanks.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:16 AM
rx7owner
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

email sent
Old 12-14-2016, 09:15 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Bose is junk in all its forms. It has an EXCELLENT marketing department that has managed to convince the general public otherwise.

I'm interested in this - haven't seen any $ mentioned so far. What is the cost?
Old 12-14-2016, 09:47 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Price - $695 Shipped* (within conus)
*$595 Shipped without Burmester grilles and mounting hardware.
Originally Posted by spiderv6

Nick, how much extra for PTS speaker enclosures? I'd like Voodoo Blue.
The following users liked this post:
Bulldawgfan1000 (06-28-2021)
Old 12-14-2016, 10:52 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Bose is junk in all its forms. It has an EXCELLENT marketing department that has managed to convince the general public otherwise.

Cost in first post, but an additional 15% off with the group buy, so $590..
Old 12-14-2016, 11:32 AM
RickIrons
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it fits a 991.2 I'm in. Email sent.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:15 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Email sent

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade