Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:56 AM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the speakers installed yesterday and they are fantastic. I watched the install video many, many times. The one thing that was tricky was unconnecting the old tweeter connector. It should be detailed somewhere that you need to pry the connector slightly with a screwdriver to pull out the harness as there is a lock pin. It took a while to figure this out since it is small and black and right against the front windshield. The speakers really changed how my system sounds.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:31 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by keithgreer
I got the speakers installed yesterday and they are fantastic. I watched the install video many, many times. The one thing that was tricky was unconnecting the old tweeter connector. It should be detailed somewhere that you need to pry the connector slightly with a screwdriver to pull out the harness as there is a lock pin. It took a while to figure this out since it is small and black and right against the front windshield. The speakers really changed how my system sounds.
i have been talking with Nick about this and the revival of this thread was the needed push. Will place my order tomorrow. Also curious to hear about any other plug and play improvements for the 991.1 Bose system.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:20 PM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim991

i have been talking with Nick about this and the revival of this thread was the needed push. Will place my order tomorrow. Also curious to hear about any other plug and play improvements for the 991.1 Bose system.
I’m hoping we can get Nick’s attention. The tweeter install was easy with his video and a big improvement. I asked a few times for a center channel delete video and he said he was going to do one but I never saw it. If I missed it someone please let me know. I’d love to hear about any other plug-n-play upgrades to the 991.1 Bose system. And I still want to get my center channel (sport chrono) turned off.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:52 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Center channel delete is easy, hardest part is prying up the sport chrono trim piece. Worthwhile mod regardless of whether you do the tweeter upgrade imo!
Old 02-18-2019, 02:24 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni

I’m hoping we can get Nick’s attention. The tweeter install was easy with his video and a big improvement. I asked a few times for a center channel delete video and he said he was going to do one but I never saw it. If I missed it someone please let me know. I’d love to hear about any other plug-n-play upgrades to the 991.1 Bose system. And I still want to get my center channel (sport chrono) turned off.
There is this DIY. It's about changing the sport chrono cover but the instructions also show where the clips are for removing the center channel cover. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9203...eye-cover.html
I have not done this. I understand most people remove the center channel once Nick's tweeters are in, but I've not yet pulled the trigger.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:18 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by vincenz0
Bought a used 991.1S that had this upgrade so very happy that I found this thread about the history of the group buy. Also good reference for what it must have sounded like before the upgrade! Mine also has the center channel disconnected (previous owner told me that over coffee). I don't know about the subwoofer, I'll have to check.

However, anyone else notice that you need to crank the fader 3 or 4 towards the rear to get that "fully immersed" sound? I am also running bass +3, and treble +1, surround off, linear on.

I'm definitely no audio expert, but in the car I like feeling like I'm standing in the middle of of a concert with the sound coming from all the speakers around me.

I'll probably try to refine the settings as I listen to more music but so far that sounded pretty nice.
The sounds experience is definitely a subjective thing to a certain degree, and typically each listener's preference is shaped by prior experience. This is one of the reasons it's tough to explain why front speakers are the most important in an automotive environment – If you started driving Pre-1990, almost every car had larger rear speakers and sometime nothing for front speakers. That was really just a product of available space and in no way a conscious decision based on sound quality. If you have to fade to the rear a bit to get the "immersive" experience that's totally understandable, just keep in mind that a rear-biased system will have less resolution and separation than a front-biased configuration.

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Hey Nick - have not heard form you in a while. Wondering if you have anything new n the pipe for our cars.
There is definitely a big announcement on the horizon, but just so I don't excite the wrong people, it's 991.2 specific.

Originally Posted by Hokidachi

Same here. I thought that Nick and team were working on a new upgrade for 991.2...
See above – soon. Very soon.

Originally Posted by keithgreer
This is something I do need to address. It seems like this is becoming more of a normal occurrence rather than just a small percentage of installs. I'll see if I can go back and add that part into that same video link. Not sure what the YouTube limitations are.

Originally Posted by Jim991

Awesome, thanks for the order!

Unfortunately we don't have any other upgrades for the 991.1 Bose system right now. We will down the road just not sure what that timeline looks like.

I lost the raw video I took of the car I was using for the instructional. Must have thrown away the SD card somehow. I will get around to it, but the video from MA Carbon that's floating around is a good removal tutorial for the cover.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:21 PM
Greg991
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Musicar Tweeter Recommendation

For anybody who maybe considering Musicar Northwest's Dynaudio Tweeter Upgrade - please know that I recently purchased the same for my 2015 991.1S and the outcome was truly transformative. I honestly thought I would need to replace my current BOSE Surround Sound System to achieve the degree of quality music experience that I was seeking and undertook the tweeter replacement as a necessary first step. Remarkably, the Dynaudio Tweeter kit by Musicar Northwest enhanced the overall quality of sound to such a degree that I can't imagine that much cost/benefit would exist for other more major upgrades. I'm not an extreme audiophile, but I appreciate quality sound and after driving intown with the tweeter upgrade and playing CDs or high res Tidal files, I couldn't be more happy with the outcome. It's not often that such a modest investment produces such a material result - if you're thinking about replacing your sound system, I recommend that you start with Musicar. I sincerely hope that you experience the same result.
The following users liked this post:
991.1GTS (09-05-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:46 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
There is definitely a big announcement on the horizon, but just so I don't excite the wrong people, it's 991.2 specific.
Im 100% in.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:20 AM
mikkm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also very interested. My 991.2 with Sound Package Plus isn't very good. If I understand this right, it doesn't even have an Amp?
Old 03-07-2019, 07:02 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

wrote an email out to you Nick!!
Old 03-13-2019, 09:00 PM
tommyboy214
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone selling a pair for the 991.1?
Old 03-31-2019, 02:44 PM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I finally got around to deleting my front center speaker. After doing that and putting the audio settings as Nick suggested all I can say is WOW! Adding Nick’s tweeters was a big improvement in and of itself. But getting rid of the center speaker and changing the audio settings accordingly takes things to a whole new level. For the first time I can say that the audio actually sounds very good in my 991.1.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:27 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

I finally got around to deleting my front center speaker. After doing that and putting the audio settings as Nick suggested all I can say is WOW! Adding Nick’s tweeters was a big improvement in and of itself. But getting rid of the center speaker and changing the audio settings accordingly takes things to a whole new level. For the first time I can say that the audio actually sounds very good in my 991.1.
can you post the settings please, so I don’t spend an hour trying to find it. I’m going to do this upgrade. Sounds too good to pass up.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:02 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick

Any update on this???
Old 03-31-2019, 06:18 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991
can you post the settings please, so I don’t spend an hour trying to find it. I’m going to do this upgrade. Sounds too good to pass up.
I'm also thinking of doing this upgrade, although probably not for a half year or so. On some songs, they don't sound too horrible. But on other songs, the tweeters really stand out as the weakest part of the Bose system.

I also need to do the book over the center speaker test to see if it's worth deleting it even without the tweeter upgrade.

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade