Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 04:14 PM
phroenips
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
The only way to "delete" the subwoofer in the 991.2 is to disconnect it at the subwoofer – it can be done, but it's a bit of a contortionist's act.
Could you instead disconnect the appropriate wires from the amplifier side instead?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:15 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by phroenips
Could you instead disconnect the appropriate wires from the amplifier side instead?
Technically? – Yes.

All of the wires are in one main output harness though, so you would have to either cut those two wires or de-pin them from that harness – not the most simple task. In my opinion you're better off reaching up in that dash to unplug the subwoofer connector.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:22 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

http://www.jlaudio.com/vx800-8i-car-...plifiers-98633

Would this work with our 991.2 Bose cars? It looks like it has a digital input and output and built in DSP.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:57 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by drdonger
http://www.jlaudio.com/vx800-8i-car-...plifiers-98633

Would this work with our 991.2 Bose cars? It looks like it has a digital input and output and built in DSP.
The digital in/out on something like this is specifically for a S/PDIF or TOSLINK audio signal. The "digital" signal in the 991.2 is a MOST protocol which not only carries audio information but also data on what to do with that signal. Things like fade/balance, EQ, amplitude, hands-free calls, and navigation prompts. Because of that, it's not a directly compatible product without an interface to bridge the communication gap. At that point, any DSP amplifier would work.

We work with Mosconi for their DSP Amplifier technology since they are the only reputable company making a Class-A/B analog amplifier with a built-in processor. That means we get the benefits of sound processing without sacrificing sound quality by using a digital amplifier. It's a beautiful sounding combination, but definitely takes a good amount of work on our side to make it all fit in the 991.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:55 PM
Big997Fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The digital in/out on something like this is specifically for a S/PDIF or TOSLINK audio signal. The "digital" signal in the 991.2 is a MOST protocol which not only carries audio information but also data on what to do with that signal. Things like fade/balance, EQ, amplitude, hands-free calls, and navigation prompts. Because of that, it's not a directly compatible product without an interface to bridge the communication gap. At that point, any DSP amplifier would work.

We work with Mosconi for their DSP Amplifier technology since they are the only reputable company making a Class-A/B analog amplifier with a built-in processor. That means we get the benefits of sound processing without sacrificing sound quality by using a digital amplifier. It's a beautiful sounding combination, but definitely takes a good amount of work on our side to make it all fit in the 991.
Nick, not sure if it's been said in this thread yet, but the amount of knowledge you have here is mind-boggling!
Old 09-06-2018, 04:03 AM
whacky
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I second this big time!

Originally Posted by Big997Fan
Nick, not sure if it's been said in this thread yet, but the amount of knowledge you have here is mind-boggling!
Old 09-06-2018, 01:35 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big997Fan
Originally Posted by whacky
I second this big time!

Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Just got my tweeters and installed them. They sound a lot better than the stock Bose tweeters. I think the main issue with the system is the peakiness in the midrange. Has anyone tried swapping the Burmester midrange in place of the Bose. Would this be a viable option to improving the sound further?
Old 09-11-2018, 02:54 AM
whacky
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did exactly that. Alongside the Musicar tweeter upgrade, I also I installed both the Burmester midrange and the Burmester woofers out of the doors in place of my factory Bose speakers.

I took the opportunity to lay a decent amount of sound deadening material all throughout the door panel.

The overall sound greatly improved in my opinion. Everything is so much more clear. So much better at louder volumes.

Midrange is definitely improved. The base is much cleaner, more fills the bottom end much more naturally, and definitely has more impactful punch.

I'm very, very happy with the upgrade for the overall cost compared to spending the money to have upgraded from the Bose to the Burmester (which wasn't an option for me) or to do a full complete professional level upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
Keith Zemsky (05-06-2021)
Old 09-11-2018, 05:41 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

where did you buy the Burmester midrange and woofers? just a straight switch out?
Old 09-11-2018, 06:23 AM
APristi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did you guys like pulling the subwoofer fuse from the 991 ? what was the main difference in sound
Old 09-11-2018, 07:01 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The fuse pull allows you to increase the bass settings which fill the mid bass frequency some, which is what the system is really missing.However, I feel that the improvement is minor, and with the Burmeister tweeters in my case, now the highs are predominant. If I try lowering the treble, then I lose some of the vocals and the higher mid frequency levels. Overall it's slightly better for my taste though.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:03 AM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Not a stupid question. The information on this is out there, but who knows in which of the 600 posts....

The 991.1 and 991.2 both have a subwoofer in the same location. The difference between the two is that they decided to integrate the subwoofers amplifier into the main amplifier in the 991.2 platform. Before that it was a separate cigarette pack sized amplifier that had it's own power circuit and fuse. The only way to "delete" the subwoofer in the 991.2 is to disconnect it at the subwoofer – it can be done, but it's a bit of a contortionist's act. Here's a photo looking up from the driver's floorboard:

Nick where is the subwoofer speaker harness located in this picture?
Old 09-17-2018, 01:11 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by krburrell
Nick where is the subwoofer speaker harness located in this picture?
It's in a large white plug on the opposite side of the speaker. PITA to access unless you have some small hands/arms. Here's a photo I stole from eBay you illustrate:

Old 09-18-2018, 12:51 AM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

It's in a large white plug on the opposite side of the speaker. PITA to access unless you have some small hands/arms. Here's a photo I stole from eBay you illustrate:

Thanks Nick!

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade