Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:54 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Sweet!! Thank you sir!!
My pleasure.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:29 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Got some R&D done on the 981 platform yesterday.... looks promising!

Nick,
I am interested in this for my 2014 981. I do not see where you have posted your install video for the 981. Do you have your tweeters available for the 981 and do you have a group buy? If not how much are they and how do I get them? Thanks.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:15 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
Nick,
I am interested in this for my 2014 981. I do not see where you have posted your install video for the 981. Do you have your tweeters available for the 981 and do you have a group buy? If not how much are they and how do I get them? Thanks.
Jim, thanks for the interest. We have fully-validated fitment for the 981 now, and I've got more photos and a short video I can send you on the install. Shoot me an email at nick.akin@musicarnw.com so I can get you all the info you're after!

Nick
Old 05-03-2018, 12:14 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the love! I'm glad everyone is enjoying music in their cars more, that's really the greater mission here. I actually just installed a set today for a local member. He didn't get 10min away before calling me to tell me how much better the sound was – makes me so happy to hear things like that.

On that note, if you happen to have a "Sound Package Plus" car(I know most of you are dealing with Bose, sorry), we're very close to releasing a new upgrade for you. Keep a look out for a new thread popping up this weekend with the full scoop!

Thanks again all!

-Nick
Hi Nick - I just picked up a 992.1 with the standard sound system (non-Bose) and quite simply it sucks. Is this the system you're referring to as 'Sound Package Plus' above? If so, I'm interested in what this new upgrade will mean for us non-Bose equipped owners. Thanks!

Ronan
Old 05-03-2018, 01:40 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nick,
Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
Hi Nick - I just picked up a 992.1 with the standard sound system (non-Bose) and quite simply it sucks. Is this the system you're referring to as 'Sound Package Plus' above? If so, I'm interested in what this new upgrade will mean for us non-Bose equipped owners. Thanks!

Ronan
Ronan, the Sound Package Plus I was referring to was for the 991.1 platforms, but technically your car has the newer version of Sound Package Plus. It's the same speaker configuration minus a center channel(which was useless anyway) but they no longer use an external amplifier, and instead power everything via the PCM. Our full upgrade will work in this car but we're probably 30-60 days out from full validation and compatability release. Check out this thread for more info on what that upgrade looks like, and shoot me an email if you've got any questions!

Nick
Old 05-03-2018, 02:19 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks Nick, I’ll follow the other thread you sent me. Could you PM the projected cost for the kit, including installation? Luckily for me, I live in Portland so no need to hop on a plane 😉
Old 05-03-2018, 02:34 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
Thanks Nick, I’ll follow the other thread you sent me. Could you PM the projected cost for the kit, including installation? Luckily for me, I live in Portland so no need to hop on a plane 😉
How convenient, this could work out great for the both of us. Part of our delay on releasing the package for the 991.2 Sound Plus car is that we haven't yet been able to acquire a local car for validation and testing. If you're willing to work with us on that I think we could put together a win/win situation! I'll send you a PM shortly!

Nick
Old 05-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sold my 991.1 and picked up a 991.2. I did the Musicar Dynaudio tweeter upgrade, and it literally transformed the Bose system in my .1 car. I'm a professional audio engineer/producer and I frequently use the car to check mixes and see how they translate into the real world, the tweeter upgrade made a huge difference. The Bose system in the 991.2 seems tremendously better, for some reason, so I'm not going to install the tweeters in the new car and am going to sell them in the classifieds. These are the black interior set. PM me if interested.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:00 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I have a 2014 Turbo S with Bose. What are my options for upgrading? Will a tweeter upgrade improve sound noticeably.?
Old 05-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Upgrade will open the sound of the system up (HF info above 8K +/-). Upgrade options are Burmester ribbon tweeter and the Musicar Dynaudio tweeters. Dynaudios are used widely in recording studios. I've heard of guys having done the Burmester mod and then upgrading further to the Musicar mod. Nick did a fantastic job engineering the Dynaudio tweeters so they fit perfectly (Porsche level of perfect BTW) and install very easily.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Jim, thanks for the interest. We have fully-validated fitment for the 981 now, and I've got more photos and a short video I can send you on the install. Shoot me an email at nick.akin@musicarnw.com so I can get you all the info you're after!

Nick
Ronan, the Sound Package Plus I was referring to was for the 991.1 platforms, but technically your car has the newer version of Sound Package Plus. It's the same speaker configuration minus a center channel(which was useless anyway) but they no longer use an external amplifier, and instead power everything via the PCM. Our full upgrade will work in this car but we're probably 30-60 days out from full validation and compatability release. Check out this thread for more info on what that upgrade looks like, and shoot me an email if you've got any questions!

Nick
Nick,
Thanks for the quick shipment on the Dynaudio tweeter upgrade on my 981CS. I ordered late on Thursday and received them the following Monday. The photos and video made for a quick installation. The only thing I might add is to slide the existing Bose tweeters out of the brackets to expose the opening to release the tab to unplug for the speaker wires. The install took a little over an hour.
I followed your "favorite" settings for a 981 Cayman and set the base at +3 and the treble at -1 and pulled the fuse for the subwoofer to disconnect it. I did not disconnect the center speaker yet but covered it with a couple of micro fiber towels to mute it. I also turned on linear and surround off. The improvement over the Bose surround sound is greatly improved and is much worth the upgrade.
Thanks for your help and your "high end tweeter upgrade" and recommend it to any one that wants to upgrade their factory Bose system.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:01 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nick,
Thanks for the quick shipment on the Dynaudio tweeter upgrade on my 981CS. I ordered late on Thursday and received them the following Monday. The photos and video made for a quick installation. The only thing I might add is to slide the existing Bose tweeters out of the brackets to expose the opening to release the tab to unplug for the speaker wires. The install took a little over an hour.
I followed your "favorite" settings for a 981 Cayman and set the base at +3 and the treble at -1 and pulled the fuse for the subwoofer to disconnect it. I did not disconnect the center speaker yet but covered it with a couple of micro fiber towels to mute it. I also turned on linear and surround off. The improvement over the Bose surround sound is greatly improved and is much worth the upgrade.
Thanks for your help and your "high end tweeter upgrade" and recommend it to any one that wants to upgrade their factory Bose system.
Thanks a bunch for the review Jim, glad you love the upgrade and that we were able to get them to you so quick! You're bit about removing the tweeter from the grille/vent before unplugging is a good note. We've actually noticed that making things a lot easier and just neglected to update the instructions.

How do you like the bass section without the subwoofer in the mix?

Nick
Old 05-09-2018, 08:29 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick,
I was in the first batch of 991.2 tweeters. Was back when you talked about coming up with suggested settings. Any progress?
Old 05-09-2018, 10:04 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Thanks a bunch for the review Jim, glad you love the upgrade and that we were able to get them to you so quick! You're bit about removing the tweeter from the grille/vent before unplugging is a good note. We've actually noticed that making things a lot easier and just neglected to update the instructions.

How do you like the bass section without the subwoofer in the mix?

Nick
'

Nick,
It has plenty of bass at the +3 that you recommended. I tried Hendrix, Zeppelin, Clapton, Stones and some of the other classic rock (guess I'm showing my age) and it sounded crystal clear and the right amount of bass. It even sounded good at redline with headers with my NA flat 6. When I have time I will reconnect the subwoofer and give you my opinion, but I cant imagine it sounding any better.
By the way is pulling the fuse on the subwoofer the best and recommended way to disconnect it?
Old 05-15-2018, 03:04 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Is there a next round of GB?

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade