Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 09:52 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Hey Everyone – wanted to say thank you to all of you that placed an order for Round One and the "in-progress" Round Two. Taking orders for Round Three right now which should wind up being started in June and delivered in July. Please send me an email at nick.akin@musicarnw.com to reserve a slot for the next run.

Those of you who are waiting for your order right now, I wanted to let you know that we are still waiting on some grilles from Germany and a few raw tweeters from Denmark. I will have an update tomorrow on the ETA's for the orders that are waiting for parts, but here's the current Round Two list along with a notation of those that will ship this coming week.

Thanks again everyone!!!
  1. Sidvicious7
  2. Private Buyer
  3. Need4S
  4. Igor.zaika
  5. ieatfishburritos
  6. Dolce911
  7. Fieldo
  8. Satoru
  9. Guzzgreg
  10. john45in
  11. bazonkers
  12. TerryC4S
  13. Alex Rosas
  14. vwduud
  15. guidwire
  16. quattroboy
  17. Quadry
  18. Integra
  19. Antonis
  20. windblow
  21. slingshot60
  22. UH2
  23. jgmotorsports
  24. JR956678
  25. joeyrocks

Shipped!
Shipping this week
Will have ETA soon (waiting on OEM Porsche grilles from Germany)

Last edited by 12v Nick; 05-22-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:52 PM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Nick,

Can you please post a video on disconnecting the center channel speaker. I was lucky enough to be in the first group for the tweeter upgrade and am really enjoying them! But need to get that center channel cut off. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:11 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cajun Martyni
Nick,

Can you please post a video on disconnecting the center channel speaker. I was lucky enough to be in the first group for the tweeter upgrade and am really enjoying them! But need to get that center channel cut off. Thanks.
I'll do my best on that. Let me get through these Round Two orders and I promise I'll get a car in here and make a "center channel delete" video for everyone.

EDIT: I've also updated the original post with the full list of orders for everyone's convenience.

–Nick
Old 05-22-2017, 05:58 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Enrolled in the 3rd wave....

Old 05-23-2017, 05:21 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default can I join?

Hi Nick,

Would it be possible for me to get in on the third round order?

Thank you,

John
Old 05-23-2017, 05:23 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JW1
Hi Nick,

Would it be possible for me to get in on the third round order?

Thank you,

John
Absolutely John – There are still 8-9 slots available on the Round Three order. (see the updated list in the initial post) Just shoot me a quick email so I can get you the details on how to reserve a slot!

nick.akin@musicarnw.com
Old 05-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't read through all 23 pages but does this apply to the 991.2 as well?

Disappointed with the Bose system.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:15 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sticky
I haven't read through all 23 pages but does this apply to the 991.2 as well?

Disappointed with the Bose system.
Short answer is yes.

Long answer is that it actually seems to make the most notable improvement in the 991.2 Bose platform. When the .1/.2 switch happened, the Bose amplifier got a bit more powerful and gave the tweeters their own dedicated pair of channels(just like Burmester).

Unfortunately, all that seemed to do was emphasize the shortcomings in the low-quality factory tweeter – so in my opinion the 991.1 Bose system sounds better out of the gate. The plus side to this is that when we replace the tweeter with the Dynaudio version, we actually get a bit more performance in the 991.2 because of the extra power.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Short answer is yes.

Long answer is that it actually seems to make the most notable improvement in the 991.2 Bose platform. When the .1/.2 switch happened, the Bose amplifier got a bit more powerful and gave the tweeters their own dedicated pair of channels(just like Burmester).

Unfortunately, all that seemed to do was emphasize the shortcomings in the low-quality factory tweeter – so in my opinion the 991.1 Bose system sounds better out of the gate. The plus side to this is that when we replace the tweeter with the Dynaudio version, we actually get a bit more performance in the 991.2 because of the extra power.
Thanks, that is a great answer.

Is there anything else other than this tweeter I can do to improve my Bose system?
Old 05-23-2017, 11:40 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks, that is a great answer.

Is there anything else other than this tweeter I can do to improve my Bose system?
New tweeters and disconnecting the center channel are really the best "DIY" improvements to the 991 Bose system. We've got planned development on some future upgrades, but nothing in the near future. That said, there's a ton that we can do with the car on-site at our Portland facility. We actually do quite a few more extensive audio upgrades to the newer Porsche Bose platforms. Here are a couple examples:

High-End Sound System Upgrade for 991.2 with Bose

Project "Aria" - An Audiophile's Dream 991
Old 05-24-2017, 12:08 AM
Banned

New tweeters and disconnecting the center channel are really the best "DIY" improvements to the 991 Bose system. We've got planned development on some future upgrades, but nothing in the near future. That said, there's a ton that we can do with the car on-site at our Portland facility. We actually do quite a few more extensive audio upgrades to the newer Porsche Bose platforms. Here are a couple examples:

High-End Sound System Upgrade for 991.2 with Bose

Project "Aria" - An Audiophile's Dream 991
Ok, so this tweeter upgrade is a great place to start and more upgrades from you guys will be coming in the future.

Awesome, thanks for the info.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:16 AM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 126 Posts

Short answer is yes.

How about the base stereo in the 991.2, would this upgrade be worthwhile?
Old 05-24-2017, 12:19 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ok, so this tweeter upgrade is a great place to start and more upgrades from you guys will be coming in the future.

Awesome, thanks for the info.
No problem, let me know if you want to reserve a spot in the Round Three group buy.

Originally Posted by paxton
How about the base stereo in the 991.2, would this upgrade be worthwhile?
We actually haven't had the opportunity to test the tweeters in that system. The 991.2 base stereo(or Sound Package Plus) ditched the external amplifier and opted for an internal amp within the PCM unit. Not sure how the sound is or what type of power we're dealing with, but I can say that the tweeters were a major improvement in the 991.1 Base Stereo cars. Send me a quick email if you're interested in a set, I have some special arrangements in place for this situation.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:10 AM
commok
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Group buy

I sent you an email Nick. Count me in!
Old 05-24-2017, 01:45 AM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds great! Without reading the the whole thread ( I did read the first several pages), are you saying for the 991.2 you need to disconnect the center speaker to take advantage of the upgrade? Im not opposed to it and would like an upgrade to my BOSE. Thanks

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade