Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:11 PM
windblow
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
We need to validate the platforms. In theory, they should both work since they both use the same Burmester tweeter part number. That means they should both have the mounting tabs and space available. You should make the trip down from Bellingham and let us use one of your cars for the validation, I'd make it worth your time. Shoot me an email if your interested(nick.akin@musicarnw.com).
Hey Nick, I shot you an email a couple weeks ago about the possibility of getting a set through GB but haven't gotten a reply. Could you let me know if that's possible? Thanks!
Old 03-16-2017, 12:27 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick-

Just installed my tweeters and disconnected the center channel. Very happy with the upgrade!

Can you recommend the sound settings for the Bose system with the tweeters (bass, treble, linear on/off)? I'm not a huge audiophile and I'm sure you have spent enough time listening. I'm sure we would all be interested in your thoughts. Open to input from anyone else who has done the install. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by stevewilm
Nick-

Just installed my tweeters and disconnected the center channel. Very happy with the upgrade!

Can you recommend the sound settings for the Bose system with the tweeters (bass, treble, linear on/off)? I'm not a huge audiophile and I'm sure you have spent enough time listening. I'm sure we would all be interested in your thoughts. Open to input from anyone else who has done the install. Thanks.
Would you mind sharing your steps to disconnect the center channel?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:11 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

Yes, I had the guys who reinstalled my K40 remote install my tweeters and disconnect thr cc at the same time. LOL. Even so, the installer called me to tell me about a scratch in the plastic grill that he was aware of. I couldn't see it? But they ordered a new grill from a Porsche dealership. New stereo sounds awesome.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Sigus
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tweeters received a couple of weeks ago. Was able to install yesterday, limited listening time but am delighted with the improvement over the Bose. Thanks Nick and the forum for great service and help with install.

I want to disconnect center but am a bit concerned with instructions received so far. Vid would truly help on this activity.

Appreciatively,

Sig
Old 03-21-2017, 11:53 AM
stevewilm
Instructor

Any input on the sound settings that your using after the upgrade?
Old 03-21-2017, 01:23 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by stevewilm
Any input on the sound settings that your using after the upgrade?
I am still playing the settings, but turned up the base and treble a couple of clicks. I am using CarPlay. I also turned off the surround sound.

I hope that Nick gets the video together soon for the center speaker disconnect... or a replacement speaker for it.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:26 PM
turtleshack
2nd Gear

Default You really impressed my P-dealer

Just installed the tweeters in my 2017 C2S this morning. An incredible improvement. My dealer in Fort Collins was very anxious to help. The Sales Associate, Sales Manager, Service Manager, Service Advisor, and Tech were all involved - it's the country's smallest (but awesome) dealer. The Tech actually did the work. Then it was a lineup to hear the results. Interestingly the most popular request was Led Zep. Everybody, including me, was blown away by the results. The tech mentioned how well the fittings were made. We're all debating whether to disconnect the center - they offered to do it whenever I want. Even the very German Service and Sales Manager are impressed and that's saying something. The Service Advisor is planning on calling a number of local 991 owners who were curious to hear the results. Everyone wants to know if you got anything else cooking in the lab.

Settings so far - T: -1 B: +2 No surround, linear on.

Nick: Do you know whether this tweeter upgrade can be fit to my 2016 Cayenne with Bose? (sorry in advance if somebody else has already asked.) My Peridot Cayenne has become somewhat of a local in-town billboard for the dealer.

Thanks again. Now, the only problem is sweet music is drowning out the sound of my PSE.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:38 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I just wish all the first batch orders would be fulfilled so Nick can get around to me on the list!
Old 03-23-2017, 07:37 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Okay everyone, sorry for the radio silence. In addition to our Porsche products, I also manage our local projects, which accounts for the majority of our business. We've been covered up over the past two weeks, but we've got a bit of breathing room in the calendar and we're ready to tackle a few important projects.

First on the list is getting the ball rolling on the second batch orders for the tweeters. If you're on the list you'll be getting an email soon with more details. There are 21 orders as of now, and we'll be capping this run at 25 to make sure we can take care of everyone in a realistic timeframe. I have a few emails I need to close the loop on, but there should be 1-2 spots left, so if anyone still hasn't put in their order shoot me an email at nick.akin@musicarnw.com.

Once we have the wheels in motion there, I have plans to make a thorough video on the center channel "delete" procedure, as well as a recommended EQ setting with the new tweeter upgrade – stay tuned for that.

Last but not least, we're doing a bit of R&D on the next upgrade for the 991's audio system. I don't have any details yet, but once we find the perfect solutions, this community will be the first to know.

Thank you everyone for your understanding and continued support!

–Nick
Old 03-28-2017, 04:14 AM
BLAM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure if this has been addressed, but, doesn't the Bose system do a strange number with the R & L channels to get a mix for the center? Wouldn't it be better to just upgrade the center as well?

Just because the system sounds better when listening briefly with the center covered, that doesn't mean that long term listening will be more satisfying. If something is missing from the signal it will become a less pleasant experience over time in spite of the fact that momentary listening confirms the lack of a center sounds better. Listener fatigue is caused by subtle irregularities that are very difficult to pinpoint when listening.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:52 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It has been addressed, a few pages back.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:09 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by BLAM
Not sure if this has been addressed, but, doesn't the Bose system do a strange number with the R & L channels to get a mix for the center? Wouldn't it be better to just upgrade the center as well?

Just because the system sounds better when listening briefly with the center covered, that doesn't mean that long term listening will be more satisfying. If something is missing from the signal it will become a less pleasant experience over time in spite of the fact that momentary listening confirms the lack of a center sounds better. Listener fatigue is caused by subtle irregularities that are very difficult to pinpoint when listening.
I believe it's been addressed, but just to reiterate — When in "Surround" mode, the Bose system uses an algorithm to send certain notes to the center channel only, but also puts it's own "effects" in the mix which are horribly untrue to the recording. In "Linear" mode. it's simply getting a mixed-mono signal that suppresses the stereo separation and does more harm than good.

We have to remember at the end of the day that music is recoding in 2ch stereo, not 5.1 surround, so anything with a center channel is a fake representation of the recording. There are certain cases where we can get close-to-true imaging with a center channel, but it requires an up-mixer technology that does not exist in 99% of premium factory audio systems – Porsche Bose and Burmester included.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Bose tweeters are molded into the cover. Burmester tweeters get mounted to the bracket that is there with the Burmester or not.

The Bose tweeters are truly JUNK. Literally a $5 tweeter. Embarrassing.
$5????? You are being generous sir. Those are like .50 tweeters from a bargain bin in Shenzen.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:47 AM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How different is the Bose system in the Cayennes (specifically the current generation)? I'm in a loaner 2016 with the Bose system. In looking at the left and right dash speakers, the grills appear to have a bigger sound opening than those in my 991. Curious if they received better tweeters or just a larger version (low quality) of the 991's tweeter.

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade