Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:42 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14
My Report from the field

Source - TOOL Aenima using Tidal lossless

Other - 1 liter tank of medical grade nitrous oxide and a cannula flow
Nasal delivery system.

I found the sound fruity with a hint of butter and vanilla. I was reminded of a forest glade walk with nymphs, or a canyon ride with the lights off on a Ducati. Like old oak scraping across moist skin, or the smell of mahogany and industrial solvent.

Kidding. I haven't done a thing. Soon my friends, very soon

Also Tool does not have their stuff on the streaming services
Old 02-03-2017, 01:44 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
INSTALLED!!!!

Initial thoughts.

Everything is on point from packaging to fitment to fit and finish!

You get what you pay for on these.

Initial impressions:

Settings:
Bass set to 0, Treble +1, Liner ON, Surround OFF

I have a powered JL 8W3 mounted on my rear deck running through an AudioControl LC2i with a Sub Adjustment ****, on the stock BOSE system, I also did the Burmester Tweeter Upgrade, which was a huge upgrade from the stock Bose Tweeter.

Source: Tidal OFFLINE running their Lossless format.

Content: Acoustic Stone Temple Pilots, The Weekend: Starboy

Coming off the Burmester Tweeter, the DynAudio Tweeter has a much wider image range. The vocals feel more full and wider when compared to the colder, but precise Burmester Tweeter.

Definitely less harsh than the Burmester. Feels more natural and smooth in comparison. I no longer feel like my ears are being attacked by the tweeters at higher volumes. The highs are more pronounced and defined especially at higher volumes.

I really like this incremental upgrade to our Bose System, BUT it really shows the other weaknesses in the stock system, especially in the mids!

The improvement in the details are amazing, especially with vocal acoustic guitar content.

Overall for the cost I have put into my system and keeping a lot of the OEM integration I am very pleased with this upgrade.

Folks will be VERY happy, ESPECIALLY coming off the Bose Stock tweeter.

Thanks @Nick, great product with perfect execution.

They are not an inexpensive upgrade, but there is a lot of value, especially when you take into consideration all the details, execution and care.

Anyone want Burmester Tweeters at a Killer Deal?
PM sent.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:18 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I think if Dan is going on a ski trip tomorrow--his priorities are are in order.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:05 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Also Tool does not have their stuff on the streaming services
Yup. I'm aware. It was part of my attempt at amusing repartee Weirdly enough; whilst Tool doesn't allow streaming - both Puscifer and Perfect Circle do. They're both Maynard projects, and the anti streaming ethos is largely attributed to him.

I respect the stated goal of Tidal. On the other hand, I wouldn't be saddened if Kanye West walked off the Brooklyn bridge.

Apologies for the thread drift, and thanks for writing up the install.

Cheers.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:43 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Thanks Nick!

Thank you, Dan!
Originally Posted by stevewilm
Nick,

Id also be interested in your suggested settings for the Bose with the upgraded tweeters. Or input form a early tweeter recipient.
At one point, I did take some RTA measurements with the new tweeters in, I did not notate the results with the EQ changes though. I'll have to see if I can make that happen here locally and get you some info.

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
Received mine today too. If the packaging is any indication of the sound quality...Wow! Thanks Nick.
Glad everyone is appreciating the packaging, that portion is taking a considerable amount of my time, lol!

INSTALLED!!!!

Initial thoughts.

Everything is on point from packaging to fitment to fit and finish!

You get what you pay for on these.

Initial impressions:

Settings:
Bass set to 0, Treble +1, Liner ON, Surround OFF

I have a powered JL 8W3 mounted on my rear deck running through an AudioControl LC2i with a Sub Adjustment ****, on the stock BOSE system, I also did the Burmester Tweeter Upgrade, which was a huge upgrade from the stock Bose Tweeter.

Source: Tidal OFFLINE running their Lossless format.

Content: Acoustic Stone Temple Pilots, The Weekend: Starboy

Coming off the Burmester Tweeter, the DynAudio Tweeter has a much wider image range. The vocals feel more full and wider when compared to the colder, but precise Burmester Tweeter.

Definitely less harsh than the Burmester. Feels more natural and smooth in comparison. I no longer feel like my ears are being attacked by the tweeters at higher volumes. The highs are more pronounced and defined especially at higher volumes.

I really like this incremental upgrade to our Bose System, BUT it really shows the other weaknesses in the stock system, especially in the mids!

The improvement in the details are amazing, especially with vocal acoustic guitar content.

Overall for the cost I have put into my system and keeping a lot of the OEM integration I am very pleased with this upgrade.

Folks will be VERY happy, ESPECIALLY coming off the Bose Stock tweeter.

Thanks @Nick, great product with perfect execution.

They are not an inexpensive upgrade, but there is a lot of value, especially when you take into consideration all the details, execution and care.

Anyone want Burmester Tweeters at a Killer Deal?
Phenomenal review – and coming from a previous Burmester upgrade! It sounds like your results are right on par with our vision for the product. It's not a cure for the entire system, but definitely an avenue for less fatiguing, more enjoyable listening.

My Report from the field

Source - TOOL Aenima using Tidal lossless

Other - 1 liter tank of medical grade nitrous oxide and a cannula flow
Nasal delivery system.

I found the sound fruity with a hint of butter and vanilla. I was reminded of a forest glade walk with nymphs, or a canyon ride with the lights off on a Ducati. Like old oak scraping across moist skin, or the smell of mahogany and industrial solvent.

Kidding. I haven't done a thing. Soon my friends, very soon
Somebody knows how to have fun...

Yup. I'm aware. It was part of my attempt at amusing repartee Weirdly enough; whilst Tool doesn't allow streaming - both Puscifer and Perfect Circle do. They're both Maynard projects, and the anti streaming ethos is largely attributed to him.

I respect the stated goal of Tidal. On the other hand, I wouldn't be saddened if Kanye West walked off the Brooklyn bridge.

Apologies for the thread drift, and thanks for writing up the install.

Cheers.
If I remember correctly, TOOL is not available in most formats outside of CD and Vinyl anymore. It was the artist's choice based on them wanting people to experience the album as a whole and not just an individual song. I can respect their choice in that sense – still doesn't make me want to have it on Spotify/TIDAL any less.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I think if Dan is going on a ski trip tomorrow--his priorities are are in order.
Indeed! Woohoo!
Old 02-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 549 Posts

I just learned that our PCM has a 6disc changer internally! LOL

Loaded Tool Undertow and Opiate...sounds great
Old 02-05-2017, 07:34 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Just finished installing the tweeters. The most difficult parts of the install were removing the connection from the Bose tweeter and lining up the speed nuts. Otherwise, it went smoothly and they sound good. Probably took a little over an hour.
My car has been under a cover since late November so I don't have a good reference having not listened to it since then. I did sit and listen to Steely Dan's Aja, an album I'm very familiar with; I cranked it up and fiddled with sound, balance, etc. and it sounded great. There is no harshness, just nice smooth treble.
Thanks Nick.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:16 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just finished installing the tweeters. The most difficult parts of the install were removing the connection from the Bose tweeter and lining up the speed nuts. Otherwise, it went smoothly and they sound good. Probably took a little over an hour.
My car has been under a cover since late November so I don't have a good reference having not listened to it since then. I did sit and listen to Steely Dan's Aja, an album I'm very familiar with; I cranked it up and fiddled with sound, balance, etc. and it sounded great. There is no harshness, just nice smooth treble.
Thanks Nick.
Glad you like the upgrade!

I probably should mention that the install video was done on a car that had the tweeters removed and replaced quite a few times(it was our R&D car), so the wiring harness just pops right out now. If yours have never been removed it will take a decent amount of force to separate the two.

Working on the second wave of orders today, should be shipping another 20-25 pairs by the end of the week!
Old 02-06-2017, 10:09 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my tweeter set today! Even though it was 35F in the garage, I was able to install them in a half hour thanks to the excellent instructional video and tips from other Rennlisters.

Absolutely the best upgrade I've made to the car! I probably wont do the PSE upgrade I was considering now that I'll actually listen to music more often.

I listened to XM, iPod, CD and USB 16/44.1 .wav files. It is a vast improvement regardless of the source, but you can especially hear and appreciate it with higher resolution source material. As you'd expect, you really notice it with information that has high frequency detail, cymbals, guitars (esp. acoustic) and vocals are clearer. I heard "sibilance" in vocals that I had never heard in the car before. The sound is smooth and never harsh, even at higher volumes.

I used to be critical of the Bose low end bump that they put in to compensate for road and engine noise on both my 997's and 991's Bose System. I've grown to understand and appreciate why they do this (listen to road (and engine) noise sometime with no radio, this low and low-mid rumble is close to what the Bose bump is), it allows low-end detail that would otherwise be lost by the road noise. With these tweeters, it is actually very balanced to my ears at +3 on the treble and flat on the low end, surround off.

In Linear mode with the car off and no road and engine noise, the tweeters were a bit bright at treble +3, but just about perfect flat or +1 on treble and flat on low, surround off.

I am more than pleased with this upgrade, thanks Nick! I'm with Joec500, makes me want to hear what a mid-range speaker upgrade would do to the system...

Last edited by Jsonorous; 02-06-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:40 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Any installs on the base sound system yet???

Can't wait for mine...
Old 02-07-2017, 02:05 PM
VipNYC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 1/2 way through the install --- had to stop because of rain and work. But i did get to test the tweeters and they really sound different and better from the bose. There's a lot more presence to them and way less harshness. I'll add to this once I actually listen to a song but wanted to mention a few things.

1.) The clip that you have to take out with pliers is very annoying. I'd suggest long needle nose pliers and a headlamp to see where you are going. It is exactly how nick describes in the video you grab one side then bend it but it is frustrating.

2.) Detaching the bose tweeters from the wiring was annoying, I was pulling pretty hard and ended up breaking a little bit of plastic and stripping some wire. (nothing that electrical tape can't fix) However, what I'd suggest is looking closely at the connector and pushing the tip of the plier in the side to give you some leverage to push the connector off the tweeter.

Good luck -- don't be intimidated, follow Nick's directions/video to a T - including using cloth to protect your dash and make sure you do it when you have some time and a good attitude.

Thanks Nick
Old 02-09-2017, 12:09 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Glad everyone is enjoying the upgrade!

Ended up being sick the first half of the week, but I just finished packing up 24 more sets so we should have more happy people in the next few days. Original post list updated just now.

Last edited by 12v Nick; 10-10-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:27 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Got mine this morning and installed them in 30', another 10' for disconnecting the central channel, everything went smoothly. It sounds better but I need more time to play with the sound settings, I think I am going to end up changing the door speakers as well.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

NIck - any thoughts about changing out the door speakers with a plug and play kit similar to the tweeters?

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade