Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning on getting a 991 c4s. PDK or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 04:42 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

If you are in two minds then the ONLY option is to buy one of each.

Next one I get will be a PDK just so I have the option when I feel like it.

Just get the 7MT first :-)
Old 12-11-2016, 06:55 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

I made the switch to PDK when I bought a 991. My two previous 911s had manual gearboxes. Overall, I think I'm going to be happy with PDK. The PDK gearbox is very good. My only complaint so far is the sequential nature of PDK when driving in manual mode. For example, I was driving on a two lane road recently and I got an opportunity to pass a slower vehicle. I was driving in 5th gear, and I needed 3rd gear to initiate my pass. I'm not used to having to think about how many times to pull the paddle to hit the appropriate gear, and I find myself looking at the gear indicator in the tach to confirm. In my manual cars, I would have dropped from 5th to 3rd without even thinking about it. Aside from this issue, I am very happy with the PDK system. I expect that I'll get used to PDK and manual gear changes will become second nature.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:27 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
\ My only complaint so far is the sequential nature of PDK when driving in manual mode. For example, I was driving on a two lane road recently and I got an opportunity to pass a slower vehicle. I was driving in 5th gear, and I needed 3rd gear to initiate my pass. I'm not used to having to think about how many times to pull the paddle to hit the appropriate gear, and I find myself looking at the gear indicator in the tach to confirm.
Most paddle shifters will automatically shift to the lowest gear possible if you hold the paddle down. Is the PDK not like this?

In terms of manual vs PDK, I went manual. Most of my cars have been manual, but my last car was a C63 AMG automatic. If you switch it to sport or sport plus, it was great. It knew when to shift and was very intuitive. It just really made no sense to drive it in manual and kind of made it less fun for me.

I think both are great, it just depends on what you want.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
Most paddle shifters will automatically shift to the lowest gear possible if you hold the paddle down. Is the PDK not like this?
I don't know. I'll have to try that. I'm still pretty new to PDK.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Edit: (Deleted initial misinformation here).

But for the problem you mentioned Dennis, all you have to do is press the accelerator to the floor past the kick down point. You can feel a little extra pressure there. The tranny will kick down to the lowest possible gear for the current speed EVEN IF the car is in manual mode. If you keep holding it past the kickdown point when you hit redline and you don't shift, it will automatically upshift EVEN in manual mode. According to the users manual this is done as a safety mechanism so that when you are passing you don't get stuck out in the passing lane with the car bouncing off the rev limiter.

Last edited by StormRune; 12-11-2016 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Got the paddle details wrong!
Old 12-11-2016, 07:54 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Great info. Thanks. Now I like the PDK gearbox even more!
Old 12-11-2016, 08:01 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

This kind of illustrates my point, most PDK type of transmissions are so good that they "know" what to do.
My Ferrari F430 was TERRIBLE in auto mode. It never knew when to shift and seemed to always be in the wrong gear. It actually made the car very engaging to drive, because you had to drive it in manual to have any kind of performance.
Like I said, it depends on what you want.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:20 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll go pdk when I loose my right hand or my left foot. Better yet when I'm old or rich enough to be showfered. Doesn't make sense in a Porsche. Go buy a bmw instead.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:34 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Well... let me apologize for some misinformation a couple of posts ago. I've corrected it. I don't know whether I had a vivid dream sometime or my prior 997.2 PDK worked differently, but what I said about the paddles was wrong. Holding them doesn't do anything. I could have sworn!

But the kick down part is correct. I just went and did a test to verify the paddles since I started doubting myself, so when so I was wrong about that I rechecked the kick down comments even though I was SURE that was correct.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:55 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I'll go pdk when I loose my right hand or my left foot. Better yet when I'm old or rich enough to be showfered. Doesn't make sense in a Porsche. Go buy a bmw instead.
I guess a loose hand is better than a lost hand.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:24 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
This kind of illustrates my point, most PDK type of transmissions are so good that they "know" what to do.
My Ferrari F430 was TERRIBLE in auto mode. It never knew when to shift and seemed to always be in the wrong gear. It actually made the car very engaging to drive, because you had to drive it in manual to have any kind of performance.
Like I said, it depends on what you want.
Why wouldn't you buy the Ferrari with the gorgeous gated shifter? When I was growing up I always wanted to buy a car like that and now all Ferrari models are only automatic
Old 12-11-2016, 10:43 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Non-sense!
I love manuals but after 20+ years of driving those and the horrendous traffic on I95, it was time for a change. I have a 3 series BMW and drive that and the Porsche in manual mode quite often but having the full auto option is priceless!
Old 12-11-2016, 10:55 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Non-sense!
I love manuals but after 20+ years of driving those and the horrendous traffic on I95, it was time for a change. I have a 3 series BMW and drive that and the Porsche in manual mode quite often but having the full auto option is priceless!
Sissy!
Old 12-11-2016, 11:10 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Why wouldn't you buy the Ferrari with the gorgeous gated shifter? When I was growing up I always wanted to buy a car like that and now all Ferrari models are only automatic
For sure, I should have gone for the manual. However, I was intrigued by the F1 technology. The F1 shifter was so visceral. It sounded like a .22 every time you shifted. However, it was not the most user friendly transmission. You could burn out the clutch reversing out of the driveway.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:11 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Sissy!
LMAO, I expected a remark and you delivered!
Fine, I'll consider a manual for the next one!

Quick Reply: Planning on getting a 991 c4s. PDK or Manual?