Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF imperfections - is this acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 04:33 AM
ZeroLoss
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PPF imperfections - is this acceptable?

Hi all,

Just took delivery of my brand new 992 and am very excited. I wanted to protect the car so I got the PPF + ceramic option from the dealer, who gets it done by a decent detailing shop nearby according to reviews. I know that these things don't always come out perfect, but there are quite a few dust particles / bubbles / edge imperfections that appear to be problematic. I just want to make sure I'm not being unreasonable in wanting to get these fixed, or if it's something I should just live with. I'm worried that the dust particles / dirt underneath is going to cause the air bubble to get worse over time. Additionally, I noticed that the paint was chipped when they helped swap out the clear side markers...

Old 05-09-2022, 06:27 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

I think I could have done a better job.

Absolutely not acceptable!

I mean, absolutely. Get it taken off and redone by someone else on their dime. ]]]

Just terrible. And shameful.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:02 AM
Fredie
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Plus one on that! Dealer jobs are almost always sub standard and over priced. I bought a new Vehicle once and had a similar experience. I made the dealer peel it off, refund my money and I went elsewhere. Stay strong! That is not profession grade, nor up to even reasonable standards.
Good luck, and congratulations on the new car.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:21 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 262 Posts

Pic 6 looks like they did not come even close to wrapping around the edge of that panel. Stopped way too short. Appears to be a pretty pathetic install. Enjoy the car.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:21 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Terrible.... That is a CRAPPY job... Congrats on the 992 BTW.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:07 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 566 Likes on 286 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by ZeroLoss
Hi all,

Just took delivery of my brand new 992 and am very excited. I wanted to protect the car so I got the PPF + ceramic option from the dealer, who gets it done by a decent detailing shop nearby according to reviews. I know that these things don't always come out perfect, but there are quite a few dust particles / bubbles / edge imperfections that appear to be problematic. I just want to make sure I'm not being unreasonable in wanting to get these fixed, or if it's something I should just live with. I'm worried that the dust particles / dirt underneath is going to cause the air bubble to get worse over time. Additionally, I noticed that the paint was chipped when they helped swap out the clear side markers...
That's terrible. The dealer I got my 991 from (the whole car already had PPF) they redid the PPF on my lower lip because it must have been scraped up on a curb. They redid it HORRIBLY with bubbles, bottom was pealing, and worst of all they didn't even touch up or fix the damage and wrapped over it. What idiots. I still have to get it corrected.

Congrats on the 992! Sorry to hear. I wouldn't accept that on a new car, especially if you're paying for that work. The world is full of lazy bums that don't have attention to detail like us.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:26 AM
ducktails
Racer

Received 443 Likes on 177 Posts

I wouldn't tar all dealers with the same brush on this one. It's normally not the dealer's own people applying the PPF but someone else they subcontract out to. Your mileage may vary depending on how good the local options are. I bought my 991.2 new in Southern California (Orange County) and the job they did was absolutely flawless. A couple of detailers up here in NorCal said it's the best PPF job they've seen. I guess the standards are just different!

I've had crappier PPF jobs in the past, and the bubbles do go down with time and heat ... but if those marks/dirt are really under the PPF that's just an embarrassing job and they should absolutely correct it for you.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:53 AM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 331 Likes on 204 Posts

Completely unacceptable. No question. Congrats on the 992. Hope you get it worked out.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:15 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

FYI to all, back in '18, on my ordered car I selected the PPF offered by Porsche.

The install was done at port of entry, Jax, and they did a decent job using pre-cut film. They also upgraded me without cost to a package with more coverage.

No extraneous crap in the film and looks good 3+ years later.

Had there been issues I feel that I would have better recourses for relief.

Would not accept OP's film application.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:21 PM
thesaintusa
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I think I could have done a better job.

Absolutely not acceptable!

I mean, absolutely. Get it taken off and redone by someone else on their dime. ]]]

Just terrible. And shameful.
100% agree.

I would NOT accept that.

I would let them fix their problem before taking it elsewhere.

I have PPF installed on 3 vehicles, 2 on used vehicles post paint correction and one on a new vehicle post paint correction. There were some small bubbles that disappeared after a few days. Would not accept dirt/dust underneath the PPF. I don't think it would get worse with time, but it would look terrible.

The new vehicle had issues with the PPF lifting near the intercooler vent on the rear fascia that I had them redo after a few months.

Last edited by thesaintusa; 05-09-2022 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:34 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

That looks like I did the install
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 12:40 PM
thesaintusa
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
That looks like I did the install
You would pay more attention than they did.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:45 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,891 Likes on 1,174 Posts

A lot of those looks like paint imperfections, which PPF will exacerbate. The one looks like heavy corrosion, which is bizarre.

Overall, as with above, this is terribly done and worthy of being called a hackjob. The basic process of wet installing this stuff typically alleviates many of these issues. Pushing out the air and install juice highlights these imperfections, which take no time at all to fix on the spot.

Definitely take it back, ask why the PPF was so poorly installed, ask about the apparent damage, and ask what they can do to fix this problem. Be prepared to have them remove all of it, refund you entirely, and go to a third party shop that actually knows what they're doing.
The following 3 users liked this post by asellus:
desmotesta (05-09-2022), neptune36 (05-10-2022), XLR82XS (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 12:49 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 130 Posts

The only thing the dealer cares about is the margin on the car. I'd never have a dealer do PPT, detail or tint (or bodyshop for that matter). They just don't give a poop.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:37 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 336 Likes on 138 Posts

Wow Not sure if the pics make it look worse than it does in person, but I would not accept the car at all and demand a refund if it really looks that bad and there's damage to the paint. Looks like a 1000lb gorilla did that job.

Quick Reply: PPF imperfections - is this acceptable?